ZOOARCH  October 2012

ZOOARCH October 2012

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: pathological cattle tooth -- molars are not replaced

Richard Wright <[log in to unmask]>

Richard Wright <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 10 Oct 2012 16:15:41 +1100

text/plain

Dear Deb and others,

Unless somebody has a specific question for me I'll bow out of this
debate, after two comments and one question.

When Huxley defined human m1 and m2 as deciduous he was doing so in a
technical manual "Lessons in Elementary Physiology". He was not, as Deb
surmises, engaging in popular rhetoric as Darwin's bulldog. What he says
is not found just in quaint, old-fashioned literature. I am looking at
Berkovitz et al (1992) "A Colour Atlas & Textbook of Oral Anatomy" and
reading the phrase 'Mandibular second deciduous molar'.

Good luck to anybody who tries to standardise the terminology across the
two systems of evolutionary and descriptive human anatomy. I think you
would produce a poorer outcome than the creators of the Euro.

Deb - you mention the  International Commmission on Zoological
Nomenclature as dealing with the nomenclature of premolar, molar and
deciduous teeth. I thought they dealt with the scientific names of
animals, not with anatomy. I have looked at the contents of their "Code" at

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/hosted-sites/iczn/code/

and can't see any chapter that looks relevant. Am I missing something?

Richard

Anyway,

<snipped>