Re: Responsibility and PhD Supervision

Tim Smithers <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 26 Jun 2012 20:03:22 +0200

text/plain

Thank you Teena and Danielle!

... for taking the time to describe your respective
PhDing experiences in some detail.

These are, I think, both very good contributions to
the discussion. They help to fill out the realities
we all need to be aware of and mindful of. It'd be
very good to have more of these kinds of reflective
experience reports from others on the list!

One thing that I think is highlighted in both Teena's
and Danielle's posts, though in quite different ways,
is that good PhD programmes are formed from good
"eco-systems" ... different a whole collection of
needed components fitting well and working well
together.

Ken too, I think, points to the same, when he talks
of the needed institutional system. He makes clear
how individual responsibilities for quality are
interlocking in communities of (good) practice,
and thus shows, by implication, how bad community
practices can arise with failures of individual
responsibilities: which can and does happen in
a great variety of different ways.

So, it's clear the System is important, not just
individual supervisors. However, I'd still like to
push the view that the System arises from the
collective and coordinated (responsible) actions of
the people who make up the System. Not the other way
around. It's (responsible) people first, then the
(good) System they engender, not the System first
then the people fitted into it to make it work.

If we adopt the System first people implement view,
then the System all too easily becomes the cover and
excuse for personal failure. Irresponsible people
can hide behind the System, and they often do, at
least in my experience. And, worse, it can give them
cover, making it hard to expose them, and often hard,
even impossible, to move them out of the System.

So, we do need a clear System's understanding here,
but we must not let it become the object of our view,
and thus obscure what the System is there for.

To end, a slight digression, though may be not.

Ken has several times cited the Rugg and Petre book
"The unwritten rules of PhD research". At the end of
this, in Some Further Reading (page 222), they cite
Phil Agre's  piece "Networking on the network". The
http address they give for this is long since broken,
but you can still find this here

 http://vlsicad.ucsd.edu/Research/Advice/network.html

where it's called

 Networking on the Network: A Guide to Professional
 Skills for PhD Students

and still very relevant and worthwhile reading.

Regrettably the Phil Agre cite they also point to is
no longer maintained and much of what Phil wrote (there
is/was tons of it) is becoming less and less easy to
find.

One of my favourite pieces is, however, still there ...

  How to help someone use a computer (1996)
  http://polaris.gseis.ucla.edu/pagre/how-to-help.html

It ends with something I think all supervisors should
know and practice, and lots of other people too, of
course, including PhD students:

  Never do something for someone that they are capable
  of doing for themselves.

... which means that you do need to know what the
person you are helping is capable of doing. Good
supervisors know this. It comes best, I think, from
collaborating with PhD students, not just Supervising
them. And this requires the Supervisor to work out and
learn how to collaborate with his or her PhD students,
each one of them in a different way, usually.

Best regards,

Tim

Donostia
The Basque Country