MEDIEVAL-RELIGION  October 2011

MEDIEVAL-RELIGION October 2011

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Feasts and Saints of the Day: October 25 (cough)

Terri Morgan <[log in to unmask]>

medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 25 Oct 2011 01:16:48 -0400

text/plain

> Surely these are saints of October _25_.
> Best,
> John Dillon

Why, yes they are. They surely are!
On 10/24/11, Terri Morgan   wrote:

> [...]
>
>    In the Icelandic World-chronicle from the 13th c. introducing Nikolas Bergssons "Leidarvisir" (AM 194 8vo), Margrethe is mentioned as saint of Roskilde: "In Roeskilde on Sjaelland is a fair maiden Margareta". When Absalon made the dedication of a new church in Gumlosa with a lot of reliquaries of apostles and famous saints, was there also a Margareta-reliquary among them.
>
>    Margrethe was not canonized, and there is no evidence preserved to show a [liturgical] commemoration of her death or translation. But in the psalter Egerton 2652 (British Library), which has been in the possession of the Suneson family, is "Translatio S. Margarete" found on the July 19, an entry which led Ellen Joergensen to the conclusion, that the translation to Roskilde took place on 19 July 1177. It is however uncertain if this not is Margareta of Antioch.
>

> Christopher of Romagna (blessed) (d. 1272) was a parish priest who became a Franciscan at about the age of 40, becoming one of Francis' personal disciples. He preached in France against Cathars and founded several Franciscan houses before dying at the age of 100 (says his hagiographer). His cult was approved in 1905.
>

> Thomas of Florence / Tomaso Bellacci (blessed) (d. 1447) enjoyed a wild youth but converted and eventually became a lay brother with the
>
> Observant Franciscans at Fiesole. He became a strong supporter of the Observant reform, and his many miracles won many to the cause. He preached to the Moslems, and was ransomed from them at the last minute by pope Eugenius IV; he was so disappointed by this that he tried to return to the Moslems again, so that this time they might finish the job and kill him; but he died en route, at Rieti. So many miracles took place at the tomb that John of Capestrano went there and ordered Thomas to stop it, so that the pope could proceed smoothly in the matter of canonizing Bernardino of Siena; Thomas obeyed, and because of that (?) never got canonized himself. His cult was approved in 1771.
>

> Balthasar of Chiavari, OFM (1492) - friend of Bernardino of Feltre, but had to stop accompanying him due to illness (but still remained much in demand by locals who wished to see him or have him as their confessor)
>

> Thaddeus MacCarthy/Tadhg Machar (blessed) (d. 1497) was a scion of the royal family of Munster (Ireland). He studied on the Continent, and when he was about 27 the pope appointed him bishop of Ross. He got caught up in political difficulties with Henry VII of England (and Ireland), which led in time to Tadhg's transfer to the diocese of Cork and Cloyne - the people of whom would not accept him. So he went back to Rome to appeal again. He got papal backing and headed for home, but died at Ivrea. The fact that he was traveling on foot as a simple pilgrim had a great appeal to the locals and they decided he was a saint. His cult was confirmed in 1895.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]