Re: Heart disease + iodine deficiency

Nick Miller <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 26 Apr 2011 09:19:16 +0100

text/plain

Johnathan Kay and Professor Ekins bring up a number of interesting
points (as always), so here is my contribution, which is less concise
than usual because I have had a Bank Holiday weekend to fester over
it.

1)      Medical science doesn’t handle too well diseases for which
there is more than cause. Theories about CHD are, in general, marred
by the assumption that there is a single significant cause (i.e. the
subject of my latest grant application….). It seems to me very
reasonable to suggest that our current diet contains too low a content
of omega-3 fatty acids, but not everybody agrees with this approach to
CHD and the debate has been going on for some time.

In the mid 1980s’ Donald Rudin, an MD from Harvard, had been using flax
oil (which is ~55% ALA) to resolve EFA deficiency in patients, but,
with mixed results. Patients had positive inital response initially
followed by a sharp
deterioration with continued use of flax oil. For 3-4 months, the diet
could provide clinical resolution of psoriasis,
eczema, etc.Unfortunately this lasted for some months, but was
followed by a decline, and a return of symptoms after which he took
them off the flax oil diet. By stopping the flax, the patient gained
relief. When the patients’ original symptoms returned, they were given
flax again and almost always experienced periods of relief of their
symptoms. What was happening was that eventually gross elevation of
the omega-3 EFA's (with ALA from flax) was disrupting omega-6 EFA
metabolism and thus producing symptoms of EFA deficiency rather than
resolving them. It's all about balance.

See Rudin D "The Omega Factor: Our Nutritional Missing Link" and also
Patricia Kane, who has a lot on the web propagandising this point of
view.

2)      Recent studies from Norton Sound, Alaska show that the Inuit
people, who consume a traditional diet very high in marine organisms,
have a spectacular intake of omega-3 fatty acids. However they also
now have a spectacularly high incidence of CHD, probably due to
dietary profligacy and the consumption of manufactured foods (e.g.
Cresco vegetable shortening as “Eskimo ice cream” when out on the
sledge). So increasing omega-3 consumption is not the cure for all
known diseases and does not protect your heart and vascular system
from damage caused by other aspects of diet and lifestyle.

So while an enhanced intake of alpha-linolenic acid might be a good
idea for many of us, but it’s a mistake to believe that it is going to
prevent CHD unless other aspects of the diet are taken into account.
There are many other and diverse factors involved in the development
of CHD - such as inflammation, overall antioxidant intake, selenium
status and chronic heavy metal overload. .

3)      I first visited in Crete in 1961 (on the somewhat dubious
pretext that visiting sites of classical antiquity would be
character-forming), and frankly people were still starving there at
that time from the cumulative effects of 30 years of depression,
wartime occupation and civil war, certainly eating wild plants and
animals (when they could get them). So I was very curious about why
the Cretan diet should be considered so special (there are of course
distinguished academic studies on this subject). Could it be the
effect of caloric restriction ? I later learnt that “weeds” are plants
which are highly resistant to oxidative stress and so able to exploit
ecological niches in which pampered cultivated plants can’t grow. They
thus have in general a higher vitamin C and phenolic content (that's
why they are bitter) than the cultivated plants which we buy in the
supermarket is that they are grown in what amounts to continuous
culture, never even touching the soil (that’s why your lettuce is now
so clean). Under conditions of modern cultivation there is very little
point for the plant in making much vitamin C. Try tasting the
difference, for example, between organic Hampshire water cress and the
stuff that magically gets into those plastic bags in the
supermarkets(highly sulphited to prevent it going off).

So I am sure that wild purslane is good for you, but probably not just
because of its high ALA content.

4)   Iodine -  I am in a commercial lab and an important part of our
work is measuring urinary iodine, as a marker of iodine intake. At the
last count, 65% of the samples submitted (all U.K., mainly adults)
showed iodine deficiency, many quite grossly so. I used to think that
salt here was iodised – but it isn’t - and we are actually living in
an iodine-deficient zone. As Prof Ekins says, the main dietary source
of iodine has in the past been milk, but less so now. I have in front
of me a set of results- 30 year old female, low T4 (dubious free T4,
I’m afraid Roger), high TSH and urinary iodine that is 17% of the
lower end of reference interval given by WHO.

I would be surprised if iodine deficiency wasn’t now a significant
cause of adult hypothyroidism in the UK population.

5)       My collaborators (Dr's Hassan and Al-Awqati) probably read
Prof Ekins’ 1985 Lancet hypothesis more carefully than most – we had
at that time a project in a maternity hospital in Kuwait, looking at
maternal nutrition, following changes in serum hormone binding
proteins and minerals throughout pregnancy. The popular wisdom of the
day was that synthesis of these binding proteins progressively
increases due to an anabolic oestrogen effect. But transthryetin
doesn't increase at all, and the others - SHBG, transcortin, TBG, RBP,
caeruloplasmin, transferrin and albumin - show variable increases at
different points during pregnancy - suggesting that the rise in TBG,
for example, reflects increased nutritional demands by the foetus,
rather than an hepatic steroid effect in the mother. [See: Hassan MAM,
Miller NJ, Hamdi IM, El Adawi SA, Al-Zaid M, Awqati MA. Considerations
on some hormone binding protein patterns during pregnancy. Hormone and
Metabolic Research, 1991;23:85-87].This very much supports Prof Ekins'
hypothesis that TBG is required to support foetal neural growth and
development.

I'd better stop there; interesting discussion.

Nick Miller
London

Green Laboratories Work
http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk