FILM-PHILOSOPHY  October 2010

FILM-PHILOSOPHY October 2010

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: ontology, transparency and the "disposable camera" (and a bit on Chuck Close)

John Matturri <[log in to unmask]>

Film-Philosophy <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 28 Oct 2010 13:04:39 -0400

text/plain

But the point is that on some basic level photography is mediated quite
directly by the laws of physics. Well, like everything else, so are
paintings. So maybe best to characterized it by saying the laws of
physics minus the mediation of whatever physical processes are involved
in what are presumably the intentional/representational capacities of
brains, which function as a lingering echo of the Cartesian ghost even
for some diehard physicalists.

But of course photographers use the resources available to them in
photography for expressive, including culturally expressive, purposes.
That's not in dispute, though I'm skeptical of the notion of code here
(pragmatics could I guess be characterized that part of meaning that
demands interpretation that goes beyond simple decoding. And among those
resources is an ability to make use of the audience's awareness of the
special nature of the photographic process, which I've sometimes called
folk transparency, the basic intuition without the pedantic bells and
whistles. (I think this has a good deal in common with Michael Frank's
Martian case.) That's why a photo of a kid set on fire with napalm has a
different impact than an visually very similar painting even I think one
has testimonial trust in the painter. Consider Cartier-Bresson's "Behind
the Gare S. Lazare"
http://www.afterimagegallery.com/bressonbehind.htm
A painter could easily paint a scene which contained all of the
mirrorings and the like but it just would not be the same as the
physical evidence the photograph provides the physical evidence that the
configuration actually came together for an instant in the world. Of
course, also involved is the testimonial trust that the shot wasn't a
set up.

Sorry to shift to still examples but I think the underlying issue is
photographic rather than filmic.

On 10/28/10 11:21 AM, Damian Sutton wrote:
> [...]
> elies =3D
>>> upon the safe place of discourse to try to explain the unsafe universal =
> in =3D
>>> photography. This is an interesting point in relation to John=3D92s: I t=
> hink =3D
>>> the incisive quality of Chuck Close=3D92s work is not that it demonstrat=
> es th=3D
>>> at transparency exists no matter how much physical labour is involved in=
>   th=3D
>>> e transcription (Close methodically transcribes the photograph onto the =
> can=3D
>>> vas), but that there is no such thing as transparency =3D96 Close=3D92s =
> overt p=3D
>>> hysical labour points to the whole process of photography is physical en=
> cod=3D
>>> ing, no matter how light or easy the labour appears to be. The same can =
> be =3D
>>> said for some paintings by Richter.
>>>
>>> For those following this thread, you can see more about Close at the Hou=
> sto=3D
>>> n site: http://www.chuckclose.coe.uh.edu/life/index.html. Walton was wri=
> tin=3D
>>> g about his photo-realistic transcriptions of the 1960s and 1970s, parti=
> cul=3D
>>> arly his self-portrait (1967-68).
>>>
>>> Oh balls, this is really long now, you wanted a rant, didn=3D92t you?
>>>
>>> Best
>>> Damian
>>>
>>> On 28/10/2010 04:44, "Frank, Michael"<[log in to unmask]>   wrote:
>>>
>>> if i might intrude here =3D96 i suspect the issue at stake is the degree=
>   to w=3D
>>> hich an object [any object] is a record of some actual historical event =
> or =3D
>>> person . . . it=3D92s the quality of the object as evidence that matters=
>   most=3D
>>>    . . . for this reason photographs =3D96 at least entirely unretouched =
> and un=3D
>>> processed photographs =3D96 are ontologically transparent, in that you c=
> an se=3D
>>> e through them to some other thing that of which they are a record  . . =
> . a=3D
>>> nd this is true, no matter the visual quality of the photograph
>>>
>>> put it differently:  a brilliant oil portrait of X might show you exactl=
> y w=3D
>>> hat X looked like, but you could only know that if you already knew what=
>   X =3D
>>> looked like; otherwise you=3D92d have no way of knowing whether the port=
> rait =3D
>>> was accurate . . . OTOH even a rotten disposal camera shot of X would pr=
> ovi=3D
>>> de real evidence of what X looked like; it would be visually poor but wh=
> at =3D
>>> it did reveal would have an ontological transparency completely unavaila=

*
*