EATAW@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

EATAW Home

EATAW  February 2010

EATAW February 2010

Re: On footnotes

Thomas Williams <[log in to unmask]>

European Association for the Teaching of Academic Writing - discussions <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 19 Feb 2010 13:49:22 +0100

I agree with Mary Ellen Kerans that this is an important consideration as
regards footnotes. What is the nature of the discipline? What are the
general preferences of its members? I have been editing/proofreading
articles in historical linguistics recently where, depending on the page,
footnote volume is occasionally greater than the body itself.

Best
Thomas

Thomas Williams
Assistant Professor
Dept. of English Language Teacher Education
  and Applied Linguistics
University of Szeged
Hungary