Fwd: What we have achieved together

himanshu khatri <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 21 Aug 2008 11:24:55 +0530

text/plain

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ricken Patel, Avaaz.org <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 3:34 AM
Subject: What we have achieved together
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>

   Dear friends,

*In just over 18 months, the Avaaz community has grown to almost 3.4 million
people* from every country of the world, an average growth of over 40,000
people per week! Working in 13 languages, Avaaz members have taken nearly 8
million actions, donated over 2.5 million Euro ($3.5 million), and told over
30 million friends about Avaaz campaigns. A wonderful new source of global
community and democracy is being created, and *we've started to win real
victories* to close the gap between the world we have and the world we want
-- on human rights, environmental protection, poverty, global justice and
more.

*Huge thanks and congratulations to everyone* who has signed a petition,
sent a message, donated, attended a rally, lobbied leaders, told friends,
given advice or otherwise been a part of this effort. Scroll down this email
to see some of the latest campaign highlights and achievements over the last
3 months, and *click the link below to see a report back on all our
achievements since launch* and leave a comment:

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/report_back_2<https://secure.avaaz.org/en/report_back_2?cl=119730529&v=2062>
Campaign Update -- May-July 2008 Over the last 3 months, Avaaz members have
helped to win the first global treaty banning cluster bombs, successfully
campaigned for a ceasefire to ease the humanitarian crisis in Gaza,
prevented G8 summit leaders from spinning their failure to act on climate
change, run a major global ad campaign in Chinese communities promoting a
constructive dialogue with China over Tibet and other issues, and personally
rankled the President of Sudan (indicted for genocide by the International
Criminal Court) with a campaign to help bring him to trial.

Below is a *quick summary of campaigning developments on Israel and
Palestine <#11be28020a32df9e_ispal>, the food crisis<#11be28020a32df9e_food>,
Zimbabwe <#11be28020a32df9e_zim>, climate change <#11be28020a32df9e_climate>,
China, Tibet, and the Olympics <#11be28020a32df9e_china>,
Darfur<#11be28020a32df9e_darfur>,
cluster bombs <#11be28020a32df9e_cluster>, and more.* On all of these
issues, much more remains to be done -- but we have all contributed in
important ways. What we've done so far is just the beginning.
China, Tibet, and the Olympics  More than 175,000 Avaaz members have joined
a global handshake chain -- *launched by the Dalai Lama, carried through
London by a 2000-person chain of Avaaz members to the Chinese Embassy*, and
then racing around the world online. A positive symbol of constructive
dialogue, the handshake is arriving in China this week.

To amplify the handshake's message, Avaaz members have funded *ads in
Chinese publications from Hong Kong to California, launched a
Mandarin-language Avaaz sister site in China, hired "mobile and walking
billboards" in New York's and London's Chinatowns* -- among a host of other
tactics. You can still join the global handshake here before it lands in
Beijing at this link. <http://www.avaaz.org/en/handshake>  Zimbabwe  More
than 400,000 Avaaz members, including tens of thousands in Africa, have
taken action to support democracy and human rights in Zimbabwe. This past
weekend, South African trade unionists marched to a regional summit in
Johannesburg with Zimbabwean refugees and civil society groups carrying a
sea of red cards for Mugabe -- and holding banners representing the more
than 75,000 virtual red cards sent by Avaaz members last week. Avaaz members
have contacted governments around the world, urging non-recognition of
Mugabe's regime; funded ad campaigns globally and throughout Southern
Africa; and even *flown a 280-sq-meter banner over the United Nations to
press South Africa's Mbeki* to push harder in his role as mediator between
Mugabe and the opposition MDC. The summit is over, but our campaign for the
end of the Mugabe era is not.  Israel and Palestine  215,000 Avaaz members,
including citizens of both Israel and Palestine, have driven Avaaz
campaigning for real peace talks, a ceasefire between Hamas and Israel, and
an end to the blockade of Gaza. *A major print-and-online advertising
campaign for the ceasefire reached more than 1 million Israelis this June*,
thanks to donations from Avaaz members. Within a week, a truce was signed --
encouraging the Avaaz community to play an ongoing role, large and small, in
helping to resolve this conflict.  G8 and climate change  More than 250,000
Avaaz members urged the G8 leaders to adopt firm targets to cut climate
emissions by the year 2020, signing a petition that was hand-delivered to G8
chair Japan's prime minister. During the summit negotiations, however, the
US, Canada, and Japan refused 2020 targets -- so Avaaz called them out in a
satirical full-page, full-color ad in the global Financial Times drawing on
the Japanese "Hello Kitty" cartoon. The ad, funded with small donations from
2,000 Avaaz members, sparked coverage in media outlets from the New York
Times to the Nikkei Business Daily. Coverage of reactions from Avaaz and
other groups *ensured that Canada's Stephen Harper and other leaders
couldn't spin their way out of accountability* for blocking progress on this
urgent issue -- and with climate change a key issue in coming elections,
hopes for change (and our campaigning plans) are growing.  Food crisis
 Responding
to a video appeal for international support from the Foreign Minister of
Sierra Leone, 342,197 Avaaz members signed petitions urging governments to
take action on the food crisis. In May, *Avaaz staff hand-delivered their
message to UN chief Ban Ki-Moon at an emergency food summit in Rome*. Moon,
in turn, used the petition with the press and global leaders to build his
urgent case for action on food prices and practices. As the food crisis
deepens, we are redoubling our efforts to meet this huge threat to the
livelihoods of millions.  Darfur  To counter Sudanese president Omar
Al-Bashir's claim that the International Criminal Court is a "Western
Crusade," Avaaz launched a major Arabic-media ad campaign. More than 4500
Avaaz members from 80 countries donated to run the ads throughout the
region, which challenged the "crusade" charge by showing that Bush and
Bashir are both strong opponents of the court. Arabic media reports
that *Bashir
personally invited one newspaper editor who refused to run the ad to visit
Sudan and accept his thanks.* Our campaigning will continue until the
Sudanese people can achieve a long sought peace with justice.  Other
highlights

   - When a 120-country *summit to ban cluster bombs was at risk of failure*,
   more than 160,000 Avaaz members emailed world leaders to urge a strong
   treaty free of loopholes and delays. The campaign made waves with
   negotiators inside the conference and headlines in Finland and the
   International Herald Tribune -- and a firm treaty was agreed in the final
   days.
   - *Avaaz members raised over $2 million in aid after the Burma cyclone*,
   channeled directly to those at greatest need through monks and aid workers
   inside the country. A full report back on this campaign is available on the
   Avaaz website.
   - When the UN launched a closed process to choose its new top Human
   Rights official, human rights experts worried that a weak candidate would be
   chosen. In response, Avaaz placed a mock job advertisement in The Economist
   that generated a full story in the New York Times, Reuters and several other
   press outlets, and a strong response from UN Secretary General Ban Ki Moon.
   The ad, and a companion blog, helped *bring a highly unusual level of
   democratic scrutiny to a top UN appointment.*

It can seem as though every week brings a new crisis or international
emergency. As human beings, we have a responsibility to our brothers and
sisters, no matter where they are in the world. But it is inspiring to know
that none of us is alone -- that there are millions around the world sharing
our concerns and joining with us to take action when it matters most.

Avaaz is based on a simple idea: that global public opinion should shape
global decision-making. When we take action, we may not win every battle --
but together, over time, we can change the field on which the battles are
fought. We are already making a difference, and our voices are growing
stronger. This is only the beginning.

With much respect and gratitude for this wonderful community of people,

Ricken, Ben, Graziela, Brett, Paul, Pascal, Veronique, Iain, Milena -- and
the whole Avaaz team

PS: For more information, or to leave a comment, you can always to go this
page: https://secure.avaaz.org/en/report_back_2<https://secure.avaaz.org/en/report_back_2?cl=119730529&v=2062>

--------

*ABOUT AVAAZ*
Avaaz.org is an independent, not-for-profit global campaigning organization
that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people inform
global decision-making. (Avaaz means "voice" in many languages.) Avaaz
receives no money from governments or corporations, and is staffed by a
global team based in London, Rio de Janeiro, New York, Paris, Washington DC,
and Geneva.

Click *here* <http://www.avaaz.org/en/report_back_2/> to learn more about
our largest campaigns.

*Don't forget to check out our
Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Avaaz/8340223883>and
Myspace <http://www.myspace.com/avaazorg> and
Bebo<http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=6305316853>pages!
*

You are getting this message because you signed "G8+5: FEEL THE HEAT, ACT
NOW! <http://www.avaaz.org/en/climate_g8>" on 2007-05-30 using the email
address [log in to unmask]
To ensure that Avaaz messages reach your inbox, please add
[log in to unmask] your address book. To change your email address,
language settings, or
other personal information,
https://secure.avaaz.org/act/index.php?r=profile&user=1c9d8d47174b0ea87b597935f0bf317d&lang=en,
or simply *go here to
unsubscribe<[log in to unmask]&b=425&v=2062&lang=en" target="_blank">https://secure.avaaz.org/act/?r=unsub&cl=119730529&[log in to unmask]&b=425&v=2062&lang=en>
*.

To contact Avaaz, please *do not reply to this email.* Instead, write to
[log in to unmask] You can also send postal mail to our New York office: 857
Broadway, 3rd floor, New York, NY 10003 U.S.A.

If you have technical problems, please go to http://www.avaaz.org.

--
Cheers and Greets

M e d i a s h a l a

Himanshu Khatri
National Design Business Incubatee - (NDBI)
NID, Paldi,
Ahmedabad 380 007, India.
Phone: (079) 2662 3692 (extn - 5008)
Mo: +91 9725111531