XRD February 2008

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: CCD vs image plates

"George M. Sheldrick" <[log in to unmask]>

Support and use of X-ray diffraction instrumentation <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 9 Feb 2008 11:33:27 +0100

TEXT/PLAIN

Dear Vince,

Maybe I can comment because we have both state of the art IP (Stoe IPDS2)
and CCD systems (Bruker APEX2) systems for MoKa in the same building (as
well as a Bruker SMART6000 CCD and a MAR345 IP for protein work with
CuKa).

Modern CCDs have a very much lower noise level than the one you are
using and 10 minute exposures are no problem. The IPs have a very much
longer read-out time (more than an order of magnitude) so one is obliged
to work in wide-scan mode (say 2 degrees) rather than fine-slicing (say
0.2 degrees for the CCDs). Except for crystals with a very large mosaic
spread, this means that the X-ray background (fluorescence, air-scattering
etc.) is an order of magnitude more for the IP systems and we observe
this in practice, both for the small-molecule and for the protein work.

If you have problems with very weakly diffracting crystals you should
also think about the source; there have been major improvements in
sources and especially X-ray optics in the last few years. It often
happens that we can collect a good dataset with our CuKa/SMART6000
system for crystals for which we scarcely see any reflections with the
Stadi2/MoKa, so when we run out of protein crystals we use this machine
for small molecules too. The reasons are that the absolute scattering
power of a crystal is proportional to lambda^3, the SMART6000 has a
rotating anode and multilayer focussing optics are much more effective
at longer wavelengths. We recently changed the Osmic blue to Incoatec
Helios optics on this system and the intensity (total number of photons
hitting the crystal) went up by a factor of 4.5! So the ratio of the
number of photons per reflection in unit time relative to the
MoKa / sealed tube / graphite monochromator is well over two orders of
magnitude, which can make a difference.

Finally the new MoKa microsources are also worth a look; my colleague
Dietmar Stalke has tested a MoKa Incoatec ImuS here more or less
continuously for the last four months. It is attached to a standard
Bruker APEX2/sealed tube system in such a way that one can switch sources
in a few seconds simply by changing 2theta-zero, so one can collect data
from the same crystal with the same detector for comparison purposes.
The ImuS has proved extremely stable and has required no reallignment or
servicing in that time. For large crystals the ImuS still has its nose
ahead despite its air-cooled 30 Watt tube, but for very small crystals
the much narrower beam of the ImuS gives a factor of 10 or more photons
hitting the crystal, which often gives a critical improvement in the
resolution attainable for very small crystals.

Best wishes, George

Prof. George M. Sheldrick FRS
Dept. Structural Chemistry,
University of Goettingen,