Re: Out of step 2

Ranjan MP <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 31 Jul 2007 20:30:34 +0530

text/plain

Dear David

I understand your question partly perhaps and the huge implications that
it has for the design journey. In India, and at NID, we have been
constantly in touch with hugely varied groups of people whom we would
consider users, particularly in a development setting and we have had
numerous engagements in the past with some very perplexing questions
that have needed to be answered before we could justify any solution
that the design team would have to offer. The diversity is truly
enormous since we have linguistic variety, cultural variety, educational
level variety, economic disparity as variety and belief systems in
religion, race and caste which may not be the case in many other parts
of the world. In a development communication situation dealing with
information products the task is even more ominous since we would have
to try and discover many of these intangible attributes by actual field
work and numerous iterations before we can even claim that some degree
of resolution has been achieved. I recall many such projects that were
done at NID dealing with economic, educational and health related issues
in particular regions of the country in the 70's and 80's that gave us
an insight into the complexity of the situation that we were dealing
with but I cannot claim that we have an adequate body of research that
can be taken up and used elsewhere, unfortunately. One project that
comes to mind is the book which was finally produced at the end of a
long design exercise, called "Learning from the Field" which documented
the work done by a team of faculty and students from the Graphic Design
discipline at NID when they had traveled to Rajasthan at the request of
the Family Welfare department to look at communication strategies for
population management as well as women's health and reproductive
processes which is a very delicate subject in the tradition ridden society.

The graphic innovations and the processes of finding design approaches
were a huge area of learning for those involved but other than the book
mentioned above there is very little discourse on the many many
dimensions that were studied and explored during the project which was
quite a massive exercise. The book is still available from the NID
Publications and can be seen at this link below which is a amazing
resource for anyone who may be interested in these complex dimensions of
health communication in India:
<http://nid.edu/research_pub_leningfield.htm>

One of the authors, Laxmi Murthy, has done some sustained work after
this project and her work with the women of Southern Rajasthan can be
seen at these web links below:
<http://www.vikalpdesign.com/>
<http://www.vikalpdesign.com/home.html>

The other author of the book, Ashoke Chatterjee, was formerly the
Executive Director of NID from 1975 to 1985 and he has been personally
responsible for keeping NID and its graphic designers in particular
focussed on the social commmunication agenda for many years and through
his sustained committment brought in, UNIDO, UNESCO, the World Bank and
many other international and national agencies to NID, with design
challanges to be handled  in the area of social communication. Ashoke
Chatterjee was the recipient of the Sir Misha Black Award and he got it
on behalf of NID for excellence in Design Education and it was Prof
Bruce Archer of RCA who came to India specifically with the task of
conferring the award on Ashoke Chatterjee who presently lives in
Ahmedabad and is active in the field of crafts and development as the
President of the Crafts Council of India. There were literally hundreds
of small and large projects that were done in this space which have not
been adequately documented or discoursed about and this research work
can still be done if someone is interested even today, albeit historically.

The role of crafts and economic development was another avenue that
brought us (from industrial design disciplines and textiles) into
contact with very complex issues of both economic deprivation in our
villages as well as social and cultural continuity of local communities
in the throes of massive change while we were trying to use design as a
means of creating change and this showed us that we needed to build a
sense of responsibility and accountability not only to the sponsoring
agencies who were our clients but also to the user groups who were the
ultimate beneficiaries of the design action or I should say who would be
directly affected by the fallout of the design action and it taught us a
whole lot about humility in the field. This led me to look at the role
of ideological positions in design education and in this search we came
to include value systems and attitudes as core offering as part of our
very unique educational culture at NID in the 70's and 80's when a lot
of time and discussion centered around the ideological foundations of
design instruction and evaluation processes within education. While many
meetings and discussion sessions were conducted on this theme we have
very little published material to show for all this deliberation,
unfortunately. Our student evaluation system that was innovated in those
days did not have a comparative grading system since the faculty and the
founder administrators of the school felt that students must be
benchmarked against themselves and not against their colleague and
attitude and value system was always a part of the discussion which has
changed in recent times in order get the Institute more aligned with
global and university systems of evaluation, and I believe that we have
lost something very precious through this shift.

To get back to your question of how does one know where one stands in
the systems diagram of a complex situation, all I can say is that we
will never know for sure but if we are sensitised enough to be open to
see feedback from the unstated traumas of the user groups we will be
able to correct our course (hopefully) just that little bit to make a
real difference. Sounds like magic, but design synthesis (when
everything just falls in place) is a bit of magic too, dont you think?

This was about the time that we discovered the body of work in semiotics
and language and tried to bring it into design action particularly in
the framework of social communications and film making for development
al documentaries at NID that was looking at many kinds of communication
problems in health, education and development issues. Systems thinking
introduced our teams to semiotics but I think that the issue that you
are raising is one that deals with ideology as well and this has not yet
been resolved in any satisfactory manner since there have been many
debates on ethics as well as many postures and positions held by
individuals that were not stated but acted upon in very political ways,
something which can be felt but not seen. We can recognise from this
that design at this level is a very political activity but to master it
would need many new skills and frameworks for understanding of its
operation as a professional in the service of a client, many times the
Government itself, since these issues are not dealt by industry usually,
but in recent times we see some from industry leaning in this direction
as well, as part of their corporate social responsibility, or may I say
the guilt-redresel funding routes or the carbon-credit buying route.
Design is not value free.

With warm regards

M P Ranjan
from my office at NID
31 July 2007 at 8.30 pm IST

Prof M P Ranjan
Faculty of Design
Head, Centre for Bamboo Initiatives at NID (CFBI-NID)
Chairman, GeoVisualisation Task Group (DST, Govt. of India) (2006-2008)
National Institute of Design
Paldi
Ahmedabad 380 007 India

Tel: (off) 91 79 26623692 ext 1090