RADSTATS  June 2007

RADSTATS June 2007

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: radstats 3. Ethnicity categories - Ludi Simpson

John Barker <[log in to unmask]>

John Barker <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 20 Jun 2007 15:03:35 +0100

text/plain

I make four points in my reply to Ludi Simpson's e-mail of 18 June 00:08

1) Ludi Simpson writes:

"On the official statistics list mentioned earlier, there are 3 messages
with
the word 'births' in their text. One each from Ray Thomas and John Barker,
and the third is a short gentle reminder not to confuse fertility with
living arrangements..."

Why is Simpson making this  'gentle reminder' comment?

On the Official-Statistics  the 'gentle reminder' came from Diana Kornbrot,
and her message was:
"need to be careful not to confuse fertility with living arrangements
some of this may be due to granny living in same household as dependent
children
diana"

(This response was to an e-mail of mine posted on the Official-Statistics
list in which I reviewed the evidence for ethnic variation in demographic
variables, that I had also given on the Radstats list and I also responded
to Ray Thomas's views on ethnic statistics)

On the Official-Statistics  list I am now posting the following comment:

"I ask Diana Kornbrot - to what I  said in my e-mail or its attachment or
anywhere else - to what I said about fertility are you referring?
Where please am I confusing fertility with living arrangements?
Do you dispute that there are large differences in fertility rate between
ethnic group as shown in the ONS 'Experimental Statistics'?
Are you saying that the authors of these statistics have "confused fertility
with living arrangements".
This statement by Kornbrot is vague - it gives no detail

In the Radstats e-mail list Ludi Simpson has chipped in:
"On the official statistics list mentioned earlier, there are 3 messages
with
the word 'births' in their text. One each from Ray Thomas and John Barker,
and the third is a short gentle reminder not to confuse fertility with
living arrangements..."

"short gentle reminder not to confuse fertility with
living arrangements..."
It seems to me that both Simpson and  Kornbrot are by just dropping a brief
hint,  trying to create doubt about the validity of ethnic differences in
fertility.
Certainly, I think the Politicially Correct brigade would like us to ignore
any such differences.

So come clean Diana Kornbrot.
Explain what you mean please!"

2) Ludi Simpson writes:
" I don't contribute much to this list any more because I don't enjoy the
thought that I might provoke a series of low-content opinionated responses
with few references and little information".

A typical PC approach - give a vague sniping hint!
Are you referring to me Simpson? If so please give chapter and verse,
chapter and verse within the context of all my various recent contributions
to this list.

3)  Ludi Simpson writes:

"My own view is that the anti-democratic dangers of recording cultural
markers in a life-long identity record outweigh the advantages of easier
calculation of birth rates for scientific study".
And he refers us to a document of his published in Catalyst (I see in that
document
that Simpson does seem to recognise the usefulness of ethnic statistics for
some purposes, although he also writes he has no time at all for ethnic
monitoring).

In that document he writes:
"Here, the counter argument that recording ethnicity will weaken the common
civic identity of those living in the UK is strong. Birth registration is
particularly influential in self-identification: it is our proof of
existence, our fundamental acnowledgement by society. It is therefore
particularly important that such registration should not reinforce
unhelpfull and potentially divisive distinctions by ethnicity, without
sufficient cause or benefit for doing so".

This does seem to me to probably be a characteristic  of PC, namely to try
to ignore or cover up any cultural, ethnic or racial distinctions, whether
or
not they actually exist. Facts do not matter if they conflict with the PC
ideology. Well I assert cultural/ethnic differences do exist.
Most people in the different ethnic groups  think they are important, and do
wish to identify themselves with their ethnic group and there are
demographic trends that would be obscured if we did not recognise ethnicity.
But to the PC the opinions of the ordinary people who make up the vast
majority of the population can be ignored! After all they are just
uneducated and we will have to educate them (I would say indoctrinate them).

I note  that Simpson made his opinion known a long time ago , as I discuss
in my long e-mail of 1/10/03 that was primarily about race..
And looking back at my e-mail  now I read in one bit of mine entitled
"Arguing against asking an ethnic question", and referring to a paper by
Simpson :

"Simpson has a section headed "The history of categories of race and ethnic
group in Britain". He describes how there had been opposition to the asking
of an ethnic origin question in census.'The British Society for Social
Responsibility in Science (BSSRS), to which the Radical Statistics Group was
affiliated, had published a broadsheet arguing very strongly against asking
of the question. It said that in the atmosphere of fear on immigration,
repatriation and racist policing, with little evidence of commitment to
prosecute racists, there was little purpose for the question...'"

Link that with the last of my seven e-mails of the 11th June "Radstats and
Political correctness"!

***********
Now to statistics and statistical  analysis. The purpose of statistics is to
analyse populations to provide basic information about the populations and
to test any hypotheses that workers
may have about any population. But it seems to me that for the politically
correct, the purpose of statistics is quite different: Statistics should be
obtained and statistical analysis carried out, to provide evidence for an
ideology. Further, in obtaining the statistics and  designing statistical
analyses, one should deliberately leave out anything that might possibly
conflict with the ideology in question.

This is fundamentally dishonest, unscientific, unscholarly.
**********

Finally I note that Ray Thomas has forwarded the paragraph by Simpson
beginning "On including ethnic group on vital registration records.." and
which includes the statement:
"My own view is that the anti-democratic dangers of recording cultural
markers in a life-long identity record outweigh the advantages of easier
calculation of birth rates for scientific study",
to the Official-Statistics group with the comment:
"Given below is an extract from a messages posted on the Radstats list.
The
extract includes a URL reference to an article by Ludi Simpson in the
Catalyst magazine.    This article puts forward a very well worked out
position and it must be one of the very studies that consider the
implications of the production of statistics on the subjects of the
statistics as well as the possible governmental and policy uses".

So we have further evidence of where Ray Thomas stands.

4)  Ludi Simpsom writes:
"Particularly odd is the dismissal of views that are disagreed with by
labelling them correct, as in 'politically correct'. That seems to close
down discussion rather than
encourage consideration of issues under debate".

Well I will only defend what I write, not what anyone else may write. And
first I point out that I can see  nothing in the particular e-mail that
Simpson is here responding to that is covered by what he says.
Indeed I don't think there is anything I  wrote about PC in any of the seven
emails of my 11th of June series of e-mails that in anyway closes down
discussion of any issues. Indeed if anything  what I wrote encourages, nay
provokes discussion, including on the concept of PC!

5) In the third of my e-mails of the 11th June (radstats.3 Ethnicity
categories -Ludi
Simpson) I responded to his claim that the statement  'the foreign
population rises to a massive 36.1 per cent by 2051" is ludicrous, by asking
"Can he ( i.e. Simpson) now please give us his evidence why "the figure is
certainly more than 36% and just depends on whether one goes back 3
generations or more".

I note Simpson has not done so. And I note that Simpson now writes:
"I don't contribute much to this list any more because I don't enjoy the
thought that I might provoke a series of low-content opinionated responses
with few references and little information".

Pot calling the kettle black.

John Barker

On the official statistics list mentioned earlier, there are 3 messages with
the word 'births' in their text. One each from Ray Thomas and John Barker,
and the third is a short gentle reminder not to confuse fertility with
living arrangements...

I don't contribute much to this list any more because I don't enjoy the
thought that I might provoke a series of low-content opinionated responses
with few references and little information. Particularly odd is the
dismissal of views that are disagreed with by labelling them correct, as in
'politically correct'. That seems to close down discussion rather than
encourage consideration of issues under debate.

On including ethnic group on vital registration records including births,
this was part of many proposals to change the registration system in 2004.
The proposals were rejected by parliament as a package without discussion of
that particular proposal, so it may resurface at a later date. My own view
is that the anti-democratic dangers of recording cultural markers in a
life-long identity record outweigh the advantages of easier calculation of
birth rates for scientific study. Mine is probably a minority view among
demographers, who are naturaly attracted by having their own research made
easier. For those who are really interested, my side of the argument is
published in the Commission for Racial Equality's magazine Catalyst:
http://www.catalystmagazine.org/Default.aspx.LocID-0hgnew0s9.RefLocID-0hg01b00100o.Lang-EN.htm

Ludi