Fwd: malicious representation

roger malina <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 22 Jun 2006 14:47:55 +0200

text/plain

Philip

I thank you to your thoughtful reply and of course I did not think
that you were intentionally being malicious. I was raising the issue
of ethics of taking the texts and images of others and re publishing
it in THEIR name. Peter Weibel has I think explained that this was
an error and that you thought that since you were doing this both
for dead people and living artists, people would understand that
it was not serious.

"This use of fiction as a
narrative technique, this allusion to the developers culture was
apparently misleading or at least creates the fear that other readers
than oneself -- though oneself realized it quickly - could not understand
the tongue in cheek approach. We thought that the fabricated,
constructed, fictional character would be obvious, since persons like
Galileo Galilee speak in the first person. That information was
rewritten to fit into the narrative form can be interpreted as a
violation of personal rights. I regret this, as the "gotchies" were not
meant as an attack on artists' identities, but as an act of positive
attention in the art context. The problem is that we started off the new
structure of an open platform with old techniques of narration. In a way
we started off with a still old curating practice: the curator did not
only offer a form, but wrote the narrative content. We have assembled
information, fictionalized parts of it and told something instead having
the user putting in the information from the beginning. Maybe the
project was still too curated by the "WhoAmI" narrations. Yet, maybe it
could be understood as an "attractant" for future users, which is more
effective than a verbal call for participation. " excerpt from Wieberl
post to CRUMB July 20 2006

You raise a separate issue referring to to work of artist vuc cosic who "
'whacked' basically
 stole the entire documenta x web site. he loaded it only his server and
took control."
 never did it enter my mind that his purpose was malicious. in fact it's
still up today "

Indeed there is a whole history of artists appropriation and
re contextualisation but your project i as a curatorial project
of a leading  institution; If ZKM as an institution had taken the
web site of Documenta X" and modified it and republished
it as the web site of documenta= i suspect that the matter would
have been treated differently !!

As Peter has pointed out we are in an interesting time  when curatorship
is being redefined and major institutions like the Tate and Whitney
and Mineapolis have pioneered a number of approaches which at the
same time work with respect with the artists involved. Peter has talked
about
an institution creating a "frame" and push the limits of curatorial
practice.
This can only be applauded. But perhaps the way to have done this would
to have been artists to participate and then allow other people to
participate
if they wanted to contribute. In his words in his post to CRUMB/
"This unprogrammed approach to an art work
the condition of which can be used and changed by the consumer are for
me the most important aspects.
This project is a preliminary test for further projects. The long-term
goal is that the databace of space projects will rotate as a satellite
around the earth, that orbit projects are indeed revolving in orbit and
that by tele-remote information exchange people can creatively attend
this project.
Naturally since this is an experiment and a test the results can be
questioned and discussed." from Weibel post

FInally let me note that it is good to see the ZKM finally paying attention
to space arts in general = this is a growing artists community and it is
time
that a more critical discussion be engaged that has been the case so far.
You may know that the Octobre Cultural Center in Valencia is organising
an event called " Expanding the Space" where they raise a number of
interesting questions about space arts in the context of myths of
colonisation
but also the paradoxes of space technology which is part of a technoculture
that is leading to serious planetary degradation and climate change.

So again= I apologise if I gave the impression that you were being
malicious. The artists who contacted me were upset because they felt
that a major institution like ZKM was not treating their work in a
respectful
manner ( and unfortunately you sent them some threatening emails that were
not appropriate which raised the temperature)

Roger