Re: Gender 101 and design

"Lubomir S. Popov" <[log in to unmask]>

Lubomir S. Popov

Sat, 25 Nov 2006 11:34:07 -0500

text/plain

Dear colleagues,

Most of you have already stated or implied that
gender is a social construction. That implies
that it is "designed." So, gender is what people
want it to be. In different societies gender is
defined differently, and in particular, the
gender roles and references. Gender is "designed"
through many channels, and most often the
"design" is not conscious. Of course, this defies
the definition of design -- that is why I set
Design in quotation marks. Gender is
"constructed." I would not discuss the media
because this is a vast and contentious topic. My
intent is to focus your attention on the fact
that with this discussion on this list you
contribute to the construction of gender, you
become agents that shape and reshape the concept
of gender. By engaging in gender discourse, you
infuse your own views, interests, agendas and
beliefs. You become unconscious social designers.
That is fascinating, because you are conscious
spatial-material designers, exceptionally
reflective, and analytical. Yet in this
discussion on gender the same people who are so
conscious about material design, are impulsive
and ideological social designers. The whole
discussion started on ideological grounds, in
relation to opportunities and actualities to
obtain or retain a higher position in the social
hierarchy. There was nothing about design in it.
although it took place on a design discussion
list. It was pure ideology and politics. I even
thought to stay way, but was I curious about the
problems and perceptions of designers as
individuals and interested parties. Now the
discussion became fascinating for me with its
unintended aspect -- the construction of gender
by designers acting in a non-design mode. The
situation also provokes thoughts about the nature
of shaping the social world, social engineering,
and the multiples ways in which the social world
and social situations are happening. At one point
of the discussion, I was thinking to suggest that
the topic is sociological and it might be better
to discuss it on a sociological list. The last
developments in the discussion are a good example
of the process of social construction and the
multiple channels and agents that engage in this process.

I would like to thank Noemi for her example with
the websites. It is a good illustration of one
mechanism of genderization. It highlights our
responsibilities as designers in this process, as
well as our potential to affect the process and
to drive the construction of gender in various
directions. Designers rarely realize that by
creating gendered artifacts, they either
reinforce or redefine current tendencies in
gender construction/definition. In this regard,
before designers take a social stand, a social
position, they should  be aware of their position
and should consider the social consequences of
that position. This should be a part of their
social responsibility. By gendering artifacts, we
reinforce the current status of gender definition
and relations. If you believe that currently
there is inequality between genders, then we
reinforce this inequality. If we want to create
equal opportunities for both genders, we might
need to "dis-gender" the social reality and drive
the construction of material reality in this
direction by minimizing gender differences. That
is only one approach, an idea. However, the
stronger we define polarities, and the more we
accommodate them separately and reinforce their
agendas, the more we strengthen differences and
disparities, which in the long run lead to
different rules of engagement in the social arena
and to clashes and conflicts. We already have
this model taking place in the socioeconomic
realm. This is a project beyond the scope of the
present discussion and might be the project of
the century. Twenty century was the century of
socioeconomic struggles that ended with
comparative equality and reasonable access to
resources; twenty-first century might be the time
to redefine gender and to develop and new framework for gender behavior.

You might be wondering why I engage in this
rhetorics. I have an agenda too. I would like to
contribute to the social construction of
pre-design studies. There  are many issues of
social nature that have to be analyzed and framed
before material designers start working. In most
cases, in order to resolve these issues we need
to engage in social research and social design.
You might object this separation just like many
other people do. However, there is a difference
between social design and materials design in
terms of knowledge, methods, and experience. If
we search for the meeting point, for the
interface, this is somewhere around pre-design
studies, programming, or briefing, as this
phenomena is referred to in different cultures.
(I am aware that these activities continue and
wind out in and during the design process,
changing agents and modes of happening.) We need
more attention to the pre-design process in order
to have more clear directions and foci of
crystallization in the design process. In this
way we would not take huge responsibility and
make big mistakes on behalf of society and we
would not impose our material design thinking on
society or particular social groups that are
incarnations of society in the design situation.
And, of course, it might be too much for us to
engage enthusiastically in reshaping the social
world. We all know the adage that war is too
complex to be left to generals only. I would
reiterate again that shaping the material
environment is too complex to be left to material designers only.

Kind regards,

Lubomir Popov, Ph.D.