PYGYWG  December 2005

PYGYWG December 2005

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: beyond boring reports - getting the message across!

Duncan Fuller <[log in to unmask]>

Dicussion list on participatory geographies <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 6 Dec 2005 13:07:17 -0000

text/plain

Hello everyone

I hope to be pulling all the info received from this call together for a
more 'formal' write up in a few places after xmas - could i be cheeky and
ask colleagues to send me any hard copy only examples before then?  I know,
i know, its to make me colleagues here think I'm really popular and
receiving lots of xmas cards, but hey.  Below are a few more responses that
were received in response to the message below!  Keep em coming!

Thanks

Hi Duncan,

I have worked a lot with interactive CD-ROMS and comprehensive, highly
graphical and interactive Adobe Acrobat PDF documents to communicate the
outcomes of workshops. I also work frequently with "graphic facilitators"
who can create great visual models, either real-time in front of a group or
after the fact.

The CDs & interactive documents are most effective in providing ready access
to a large quantity of material, bu the graphic models are a great one-off.

Unfortunately, though, most of this work is not in the public domain, so
there's nowhere I can point you to immediately. If you're interested,
though, I can probably pull something together for you directly.

(If there's enough interest among the group, I could also probably
genericise a few pieces and provide access to them.)

Best - Andrew Conway
Andrew Conway [[log in to unmask]]

Hi Duncan,

Many thanks for collating all the responses you received on the subject -
extremely interesting reading.

My company was involved in the Cowley Road Consultation you mentioned to
put a robust framework behind the research.  Wearing a different hat we
are also involved in providing a service called "Experts Online" through
an organisation called ruralnet (see:
http://www.ruralnetuk.org/experts/index.htm )

Peter Gray [[log in to unmask]]

Hi Duncan

I missed your first message. Sorry. Below some references of where
researchers have used applied theatre to disseminate research findings and
engage with participants.

Maria

Bryanston, C., Stuttaford, M., and Walter, I. (2005), Acting Up: Using
theatre to validate and disseminate findings from evaluation and research,
Evaluator, Summer, 16-19.

Gray, R., Sinding, C., Ivonoffski, V., Fitch, M., Hampson, A. and Greenberg,
M. (2000). The use of research-based theatre in a project related to
metastatic breast cancer. Health Expectations, 3, 137-44.

Liebling, H. (2004). Ugandan women's experiences of violence, rape and
torture during civil war years in Luwero District: implications for health
policy, welfare and human rights. Centre for Social Justice Annual
Conference: Getting the Message Across: Social Justice in the Real World, 28
April 2004, Coventry.

Making Research Count (2003). Trauma. A Geese Theatre Production
commissioned by Making Research Count University of Warwick in association
with Coventry University.

Saldaņa, J. (1998). Ethical issues in an ethnographic performance text: the
'dramatic impact' of 'juicy stuff'. Research in Drama Education, 3, 2,
181-96.

Saldaņa, J. (2003). Dramatizing data: a primer. Qualitative Inquiry, 9, 2,
218-36.

Stuttaford, M., Lewando Hundt, G., Byranston, C. (2006) The use of applied
theatre in data validation and dissemination, Health, 10, 1, 31 - 45.

Maria Stuttaford [[log in to unmask]]

Via local theatre/arts companies- acting out the point.
heather montague barnett [[log in to unmask]]

A couple
of suggestions I should have made earlier...

   Training for Transformation uses the concept of "Generative Themes"
   which are developed after "Listening" to people in their communities
   discussing their issues and ideas.  The Themes are the abiding topics of
   general interest and are intended to be the things which "generate" the
   most emotion.  The Themes are then developed into a "Code" which
   articulates their core essence.  The Code can take the form of many of
   the mechanisms already suggested by respondents in your email eg
   Cartoons, Drama/Forum Theatre, Songs, body sculpture etc.  The Code is
   then reported back/performed for the community whose Themes produced it
   and those other audiences who need to hear.  Thus, the Code can be an
   end report, or simply a catalyst for further dialogue on how to respond
   to the communitiy's issues.  A respected Trainer and advocate are
   PARTNERS Training for Transformation in Dublin ([log in to unmask]);
   Another supplier of artwork is Ogilvie Design in Edinburgh
   www.ogilviedesign.co.uk .  I saw them used as a raporteur of a Gender
   conference producing flip chart size cartoons to capture Conference
   themes as the day unfolded.  By the end a Gallery Walk of cartoons
   provided a very compelling, visual set of "minutes" of the proceedings.

Regards

Mel Nicholls
Project Officer (Social Inclusion Project)

Cheers

Duncan