Re: WHERE IS REALITY?

Paul Bivand <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 14 Jan 2005 00:01:11 +0000

text/plain

There are a number of different issues. One is the reliability of a sample
survey, and whether that sample survey accepts proxy interviews, versus a
self-completion census. The second is the nature of the questions asked.

The ONS release (I haven't yet read the linked article as the link from the
release didn't work when I tried it) addresses more the second question than
the first.

Some of the ILO definitions followed in the LFS are, to a naive person,
counter-intuitive.

The ILO definition of employment is one hour or more in the reference week, in
paid work or unpaid family work. Clearly a teenager babysitting for a
neighbour for an hour and getting paid counts as employment. Equally said
teenager looking after the family shop for an hour and not getting paid is
equally employment, albeit of the unpaid family variety. Not quite sure
whether teenager babysitting for a cousin and not getting paid, for an hour,
counts as being in employment.

These types of 'employment' are stretching what naive respondents would see as
employment, and therefore, in a self-completion census, even with notes,
numbers of people who would be picked up as being in employment by a routed
telephone interview will, in a self-completion census form, respond as not
being in employment.

Similarly, with unemployment. The ILO definition is based on a respondent
having looked for work, including scanning job ads in the local paper, within
the last four weeks, and being available to start in two (and not working for
even one hour a week). A routed interview is very much better at picking up
the detail of this sort of definition, because you can ask if respondent has
done any of a number of things, such as looked at job ads in the paper or the
newsagent, and then make a derived variable to define those who looked for
work as being all who did one or more of those things. In a census, it is
easier to ask if someone is looking for work, when they might not conceive
glancing at the cards in a newsagent, including some jobs, as looking for
work.

In a census with self-completion you will clearly get people saying they are
unemployed if they are claiming JSA and doing unpaid family work (or working
under the 16 hours limit). Equally you get people saying they are unemployed
while they are removed from unemployment counts by being on government
employment and training programmes (a UK interpretation of ILO definitions
which does not seem to be universally shared by national statistics offices).

I actually think the ILO definitions are the best we have, despite
difficulties, because they are reasonably close to economic behaviour.
Unemployment might be defined as someone with a probability of applying for a
job above a certtain level - the effect on earnings inflation depending on
actual applications etc. The problem is operationalising them in a
self-completion questionnaire.

Therefore different data collection methods (and different questions) will
inevitably produce different results.

The ONS feels that it has to reconcile different sources or at least expalin
the differences. This is the case with the press release Ray referred to.

Issues with confidence limits around LFS estimates are developing. ONS has now
started publishing confidence limits for local LFS estimates on NOMIS. This
might help people realise that sample surveys have inherent sampling
variation, although end-users are unlikely to want their spurious precision
exposed.