FILM-PHILOSOPHY 2003

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

2003.07.15 Film-Philosophy News

Film-Philosophy Salon <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 15 Jul 2003 18:43:51 +0100

text/plain

.:,
.', :. .
.. , ..' : ..
.. '. .. ,. ..: ..
.. .: .'.. ,. . ... F I L M - P H I L O S O P H Y
. ' ...,... . . .:. . .
. .. . : ... .'.. ..,.. ISSN 1466-4615
. ., . . :... . . '.. Journal : Salon : Portal
. .'. , : ..... . PO Box 26161, London SW8 4WD
. .:..'...,. . http://www.film-philosophy.com
.. :.,.. '....
....:,. '. 2003.07.15 Film-Philosophy News
.' :. .
.,'

MULTIMEDIA HISTORIES CONFERENCE

University of Exeter, 21-23 July 2003

Organised by AHRB Centre for British Film and Television Studies and
University of Exeter.

        http://www.bftv.ac.uk

One of the most dominant critical concerns of recent years has been
the attempt to understand the impact of a multimedia culture. The
scope and limits of a multimedia culture have become associated with
issues of virtual reality; interactivity; media convergence and
hybridity; body/technology couplings, etc. These familiar narratives,
however, have a much more extended history than is often realised.

Multimedia Histories will examine the long genealogy of multimedia
usage and discourse. From the 19th C onwards, the proliferation of
screen technologies and optical recreations has been an important
element of popular culture. Moreover, the exhibition and consumption
of these entertainments was often defined by their interrelationship.
The mid nineteenth-century drawing room, for example, typically
included stereoscopes and praxinoscopes alongside the magic lantern.

The conference is keen to pursue a comparative approach by focusing
on specific historical moments of convergence and hybridity. In so
doing, it aims to locate the aesthetics of the new media in relation
to an intermedial tradition of public and domestic forms of screen
entertainment. The principal question it hopes to address is this -
to what extent do recent multimedia technologies extend established
features of cinema, television, and the panoply 19th C and 20th C
optical recreations?

For information please see the attached leaflet/booking form. Further
details are available at the AHRB Centre's website:
http://www.bftv.ac.uk

----------------------
Ann Jones
Administrator
AHRB Centre for British Film & Television Studies

020 7631 6137

. .. . : ... .'.. ..,.. . .. . : ... .'.. ..,.. . .. . : ... .'.. ..,..

From: Lang Thompson <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Mobius Home Video
Forum fund drive MIME-Version: 1.0

The Mobius Home Video Forum (http://www.mhvf.net), one of the Web's
most open-minded and informative film sites as even Cahiers du Cinema
noted, is in the middle of a now-annual fund drive. First-time
visitors to the site might get the impression that it's mainly for
fans of low-brow cinema but among the chat about Mario Bava and
Indonesian Terminator rip-offs have been informed discussions of
directors as diverse as Hou Hsiao-Hsien, Abbas Kiarostami, Howard
Hawks, Raul Ruiz, Bruce Conner, Ken Loach, Orson Welles, etc. Thanks
to active moderators, the tone is friendly and calm with no flame
wars and though it's definitely not an academic site most Mobius
posters have a playful seriousness that's too often missing in much
current arts discourse.

Lang Thompson