Iona Andronov excerpt Part 2 of 2

Andrew Jameson <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 10 Sep 2002 12:35:17 +0100

text/plain

In the meantime, the prisoners, having lost my protection, fearfully
ran to a building entrance on their own. I turned around, looking for
the person who grabbed my glasses. I noticed that there were no glasses
smashed on the pavement. I saw a group of men and a blonde woman,
whose face turned out to be familiar upon closer inspection.
This not-so-young woman used to read political verses at rallies run
by Anpilov, the red ultra-radical. She was known as an admirer of his.
As soon as I approached her, the woman pulled her right hand behind her back.
"Give me back the glasses!" I said to her.
"What glasses?" she screamed.
"My glasses!"

I grabbed her right hand and saw the twisted frame in her clenched fist.
I managed to pry her palm open and to reclaim my damaged treasure.
I was lucky: the lenses were intact. But the wire-rimmed frame was all
twisted and bent. I sat right there on the pavement and started straightening
the delicate metal wires.
While I busied myself with this task, playing out the comical misadventure
in my mind, the events were escalating: the rebellious crowd captured
the Mayor's Office.

The assault was already over when I joined the excited citizens by
the shattered glass-covered entrance to the Mayor's Office.
An elderly mustached man in a green uniform climbed on top of a cement
awning jutting out over the smashed-up entrance. He was standing there
with his head erect, wearing a black beret a la Che Guevara.
Only instead of a Cuban cigar, this valiant soldier was holding
up a megaphone.

"There will be no more mayors, no more peers, and no more khers!"
he thundered.("Kher" is a slang Russian vulgar word which means penis.)
The crowd laughed approvingly: "Bravo, Makashov! Long live our General!"

Albert Makashov, a general with no military victories or even experience
on the front lines to his name, managed to become famous in Russia
because of his soldierly sense of humor and snappy one-liners.
A lot of our people like that. During the 1991 presidential elections
almost four million Russian citizens voted for him.

Since those days the general has taken to calling his opponents
"son of a bitch," or "rascal," or "rat," or "dirty Jew" in public.
He also called for either castrating them or hanging them by their balls
from lampposts. Even his apolitical compatriots provoke Makashov's anger:
"Neutrality is the piece of shit that's flattering in the middle of
an ice hole", he is fond of saying.

General Rutskoi, who also likes a juicy turn of phrase, appointed Makashov
a commander of the White House defenses. After the assault on the
Mayor's Office, Makashov took it upon himself to carry out Rutskoi's order
to capture the Ostankino TV-center, so that the new president could
proclaim his victory in front of the whole country.
I saw Makashov leave the Mayor's Office with a dozen men armed with
machine guns and return to the square in front of the White House.
There, hundreds of enthusiasts were waiting to march to Ostankino.
I saw Makashov quickly form a column of about a dozen trucks and
smaller cars, captured earlier from the OMON. Unarmed volunteers
filled the commandeered vehicles. Embarking on this super-risky raid,
the self-confident general took along just 18 men armed with machine guns.

Only one Supreme Soviet Deputy, Ilya Konstantinov, joined the Makashov
brigade.
He was respected for his personal courage, but the rest of the deputies
refrained from the apparent insanity. However, by that time, the opinion
of Parliament did not make much of a difference. Rutskoi, by himself,
gave the order to storm Ostankino. The People's Deputies were left out
of the thrilling game, played out by out-of-control generals and street
fighters.

I felt helpless and apprehensive as I watched the Makashov brigade take off
from the now half-emptied White House square. The threat to Parliament
itself did not disappear, yet its most able defenders were gone.
As I suspected, Rutskoi gave the order to storm Ostankino spontaneously
and without much planning. This was pure idiocy, since even if the assault
were successful, the Kremlin could have easily switched the TV broadcast
signal from the Ostankino studios elsewhere.
However, what actually happened was even worse.

The distance between the White House and Ostankino is about 12 kilometers.
As soon as the Makashov column reached the Sadovaya Ring Road, they
were met by a checkpoint of about twenty APCs and Interior Ministry trucks.
The soldiers were armed with machine guns. But, instead of stopping
the rebels' motorcade in its tracks, the soldiers let them through
without a word, followed them, passed them and then speeded away
to Ostankino. General Makashov, a graduate of two military academies
could have figured out (or so it would seem), that his unarmed followers
were heading into a fiery trap near the TV-center.

For some reason, neither Rutskoi nor Makashov used the captured
Interior Ministry mobile communications center R-142M to coordinate
their actions. The lack of awareness on the part of both generals
resulted in a situation where no one at the White House could dissuade
the arrogant commander from storming the TV center.

The Ostankino TV center encompasses two buildings, divided by
a narrow strip of asphalt, which is Korolyov Street. That is where
the Makashov brigade disembarked. By that time gunmen of the
Interior Ministry Special Forces already occupied both buildings
of the TV center. They barricaded themselves inside and established
firing positions on the roofs and in the windows.

Makashov, having realized that he was late, delayed assault on
the TV center in the hope of later arrival of numerous opponents
of the Kremlin TV propaganda. While they were making their way
to Ostankino, a noisy rally was held on Korolyov Street for about
two hours. Makashov, through his megaphone, addressed the people
inside the TV center: "Hey, rats, get out! Hey, you, rats! Rats!
Any one who comes out voluntarily will have one of your balls spared!
Rats! Get out! Resistance is futile. Yeltsin betrayed you.
You are surrounded by the superior forces!"

But the superiority was not on his side: a crowd on the street
and Makashov's 18 men armed with machine guns were swirling between
the two buildings where 900 fighters of the Interior Ministry Special
Forces were deployed. And 24 APCs armed with long-range guns
were parked nearby.

However, Makashov continued with his oratory: "If there were some
imbeciles who were to open fire on us, we would make sure there is
only one way out for them: suitcase, airport, Israel!"

At 7 p.m. one of Makashov's trucks went through the glass doors
of the TV center Technical Support Department. The general
shrieked that he was ready to use his grenade launcher.
And then death rained out of the TV center upon the unarmed
crowd in the middle of the street. Fire from the APC gunners
put a finishing touch to the bloodbath: 46 people lay dead, 124 wounded.
It was a mass execution for the crowd caught unaware.
Makashov, alive and well, soon returned to the White House in a car.
His high opinion of himself was also intact: "I went to Ostankino
and did what I could there."
Those who would later blame him for the tragedy at Ostankino were
threatened with castration by the general once again.
Rutskoi later regretted his call to storm the TV center:
"I admit that my first impulse was not well thought out."

Five days prior to the Ostankino bloodbath Rutskoi received
a friendly visit in the White House from Stanislav Govorukhin,
a well known film director and a public figure. On the evening of October 3,
Govorukhin happened to be in the TV center on an unrelated business
and he was caught in the crossfire. He remained a friend with Rutskoi
afterwards, yet at the time he wrote in his diary:
"Rutskoi made a charge against himself publicly, in front of the TV cameras,
when he mouthed the call 'To Ostankino!'... After those words,
'To Ostankino!', he might as well have gone up to his office on the third
floor,
thought about it for a minute, pulled out his foreign chrome plated gun
and sent a bullet straight to his heart. He did not do it.
Neither then, nor later-when the tanks opened fire on the White House,
on women and children. It's not for me to judge him. But for me it
remains a mystery."

Just as the Interior Ministry Special Forces were slaughtering
the unarmed crowd near the TV center, all live broadcasting was switched
from Ostankino studios elsewhere, on orders of the Kremlin.
People watching TV at home saw the following false statement on their
screens:
"The broadcasting on channels 1 and 4 has been interrupted by an armed mob,
which has entered the TV center."

After about ten minutes, a man's head on a thin neck appeared on the
TV screens. A youthful-looking dark-haired head began to lie:
"According to information coming from Ostankino, there is fighting in the
On-Air studio going on right now. That's why we are broadcasting from
elsewhere.
According to our reporters inside the TV center, whom we have spoken to
by telephone, the attackers have captured one section of the building using
armed personnel carriers, grenade launchers and machine guns."

At that very moment, dozens of wounded and dying Muscovites were laying
in pools of blood on the street between the two buildings of the TV center.
The Special Forces snipers and the gunners from the APCs, which by then
moved closer to the action, were finishing them off. That evening and
all night long until dawn, the TV talking heads, one after the other,
were lying and misinforming the nation. Nikolai Svanidze, Svetlana Sorokina,
and Sergey Torchinsky competed against each other in the field of sophistry.
They were doing so live from two State TV studios-on Shabolovka Street and
on 5th Street off the Yamskoye Field.

In the beginning of this ominous night, at 9:30 p.m., the fleshy-faced
vice-premier Yegor Gaidar materialized on TV screens. He issued a militant
call to the Yeltsin supporters in the capital to quickly organize street
self-defense units in order to prevent a recurring nightmare of Gaidar's
from taking place: "Let's not allow our country to be turned into
a huge concentration camp once again!"

A popular film actress Liya Akhedjakova personified Gaidar's TV ecstasy
in a more artful fashion: "Today in Moscow policemen are being killed!
They are defending us from those who would defend the Constitution.
So, what kind of a damned Constitution is it? And where is our Army?
Why doesn't the Army defend us from this damned Constitution?"

Grigory Yavlinsky, a politician, proclaimed from the screen:
"The President must display maximum toughness and determination
in repressing the bandit gangs. All the fascist-leaning,
extremist elements are grouped under the auspices of the White House.
If the law enforcement agencies are not capable enough to repress them,
the issue of using regular Armed Forces must be given consideration."

Late at night, Prime Minister Chernomyrdin made the announcement:
"The criminal elements, egged on by the White House, have spilled
blood in Moscow. Tonight, the Army troops will be deployed in Moscow."

Shortly before midnight, I met Deputy Nikolai Pavlov on a dimly
lit staircase landing inside the White House. The bonfires on the
street were clearly visible through the large windows. The red flames
outside were giving out enough light to see my friend's troubled
expression. He said he was just at the Kiyevskoye highway in the
suburbs of Moscow, where he saw columns of military vehicles from
the Tamanskaya and Kantemirovskaya Divisions moving towards the capital.
Those were the divisions that were usually called into Moscow in the past
by the Kremlin conspiracy-mongers and coup-plotters. A month before,
Yeltsin, in preparation for the putsch, visited the garrisons of both
divisions near Moscow and promised their commanders all kinds of rewards.

At nightfall, the multi-storied White House, its electric power
disconnected, resembled a disturbed anthill. Men armed with machine
guns were silently fashioning fortified firing positions out of safes,
refrigerators, and tables in the building's darkened corridors and landings.
Outside hundreds of people were trying to reinforce the flimsy barricades
with whatever was available: some rusted iron bars, spare wood,
construction debris. It would only take a minute for a tank or an APC
to crush these fortifications.

How much time do we have before the assault on Parliament?
I was asking myself. One hour? Two? Do we have until dawn, or not?
Is a repeat of the Ostankino massacre inevitable here? In an attempt
to somehow prevent this, I went in darkness to the nearest office,
that of Deputy Speaker Valentin Agafonov. I asked Khasbulatov's deputy
to alert his boss to the fact that for the last time I was going
to try to reach the U.S. Embassy in hopes of convincing the Americans
to facilitate a cease-fire agreement between us and the Kremlin.

That night, for the first time, there was nobody outside the perimeter
of our barricades. I walked over to the gates of the American Embassy
without a hitch. Behind the gate, by a guard-booth, a marine was
on duty, clutching his carbine. He was wearing a helmet, a camouflage
uniform, and a bulletproof vest. Inside the guard-booth I told the
sentry of my desire to see Mr. Sell urgently. Soon after, a young American
appeared and asked me to follow him into the Embassy courtyard. It was
midnight.
After walking for about fifty meters we were in front of a long
two-story building, the Embassy residential quarters. Each duplex apartment
has its own entrance, complete with a stone staircase and a wrought-iron
fence.

It's an architectural copy of old New England towns.
I was escorted into a warm and comfortable living room with a fireplace,
furnished with soft armchairs, floor lamps, and a tapestry on the wall
depicting a bouquet of beautiful flowers. I had a bitter thought upon
seeing all this foreign comfort: "My God, when would the Russians
concentrate on making our own life better instead of fighting each other?"
My host-a wide-shouldered, fit man with graying hair-shook my hand and
showed to an armchair. The diplomat who escorted me in sat next to me
and opened his notebook.

"Would you object to his transcribing our conversation?" Mr. Sell asked.
"No."

"Should we get to the point of your visit?"
"Of course. You must already know a motorized army division has entered
the city. They are preparing an assault on the White House. A terrible
bloodbath is almost inevitable. Being a Russian, I would like to prevent
a mass slaughter of Russians by Russians. We are foreigners to you.
But you have your own long-term state interests to look after.
I am sure your friend in the Kremlin would be victorious tomorrow.
However, I don't think the United States' political interests in Russia
would be well served by having a tsar soiled by the blood of Russians.
It would be much more profitable for you to act as peacemakers now,
at this critical moment for the Russians. You can do so without denying
your friend the triumph he so craves."

"Who authorized you to make us such an offer?"
"The Speaker of Parliament Khasbulatov."

"And what about Rutskoi?"
"If his sanction is necessary, it would be arranged."

"So, what specifically do you want from me?"
"To act as a mediator between us and the Kremlin."

"What would you offer to the Kremlin?"
"An immediate meeting between their representatives and our leadership,
with no pre-conditions. There is only one immediate goal-to prevent
bloody mutual extermination."

"Well, I think your initiative is worthy of respect, although
I do not share your opinions. And I can not be an intermediary
between the Kremlin and the White House, because we do not interfere
in Russia's internal affairs on principle. Still, I do not reject
your request outright out of humanitarian concerns. Would you like me
to inform the closest advisers to President Yeltsin of the White House
request?"
"Yes, please do."

"How can I relay their answer to you?"
"All the communications at the White House have been cut off.
I can return here at an agreed upon hour."

"Very well. Return in an hour. At 1:30 a.m."