ENVIROETHICS  2002

ENVIROETHICS 2002

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: A very ironic fallacy of composition

Steve Verdon <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion forum for environmental ethics.

Mon, 9 Sep 2002 20:44:02 -0700

text/plain

--- Brian M Czech <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I didn’t want to get dragged into a discussion on this list because
> know how they can go on forever, but Tantillo won!  I have to
> respond.
>
> Not only is Lomborg’s Skeptical Environmentalist a regurgitation of
> Julian Simon, it is the biggest pile of Simon regurgitant since,
> well,
> Simon himself.  It’s too bad Bissell got talked into investing his
> time
> in reading this whole boorish blot on bookmanship.  Well, I did my
> part
> to save people their time, as Tantillo noted.  And it cost me a lot
> of
> time to do it, too, because I did read the whole boorish blot.

Well, well isn't that nice.  Everybody who discussed the notion of
opportunity cost was engaging in boorish blotism.  Gee thanks Brian.

> Tantillo would probably get away with a classic act of hypocrisy
> here if
> I didn’t point it out.  He complains about critics reading little
> parts
> of the S.E. and then committing the fallacy of composition.  He

Technically Jim is correct.  If you look at a piece of a machine and
say, the piece is light in weight therefore the entire machine is
light you'd clearly be wrong if we are talking about a 747 jet liner.

> phases
> directly into my review (published in Conservation Biology a few
> months
> ago), and hacks at a single point I made; i.e., about Lomborg’s
> illogical
> critique of island biogeography, a point I’ll gladly stand by.  The
> only
> reason I even cited Lomborg’s hapless section on biodiversity is
> because
> I was writing the review for Conservation Biology.  Yet, anyone who
> reads
> the WHOLE review will see that I took a holistic, "big picture"
> approach.
>  In other words, Tantillo is commiting the fallacy of composition
> as he
> cries fallacy of composition!  This is especially annoying since I
> have
> been one of the few published reviewers to credit Lomborg with a
> making
> some good points.

Hmmm, congratulations Brian you have now moved onto the fallacy known
as Tu Quoque

http://gncurtis.home.texas.net/tuquoque.html

I don't know if you are a parent Brian, but parents can spot it in a
second.  It basically boils down to the defense:

"But Mom, he started it fiiiirrrrrssssttttt!"

In other words, whether or not Jim is guilty of the fallacy of
composition in his review of your review is irrelevant to the truth.
The question is, did you judge Lomborg solely on the merits of one
section?

In my opinion I am not sure you have supported your case that you
have taken a broad view of Lomborg's book (this is hard to say since
I haven't actually read it).  You claim it is basically warmed of
Simon, but you provide only one real example...the one Jim cited.
Otherwise, everything else appears to me to just be simple claims.

> But now that Tantillo has drawn attention to it, I’m posting my
> review
> one more time.  Notice how it is aimed straight at Lomborg’s
> central
> thesis, which is a regurgitation of Simon’s self-christened “grand
> theory”.  And note that it has the answer to Bissell’s earlier

Yes it is, but with only one example to support the attack, or so it
appears to me.  As such, Jim's characterization does appear correct.

Steve

<http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0005&L=enviroethics&P=R22
> 148&I=-3>.
> > I won't repeat it here.)
> >
> > Thus Czech's paraphrase of Lomborg's "rationale" ("If islands get
> > smaller, there is nowhere to escape.  If, on the other hand, one
> > tract of rainforest is cut down, many animals and plants can go
> on
> > living in the surrounding areas," which appears on p. 253 of the
> > book) is hardly Lomborg's "rationale" at all. It is rather one of
>
> > the
> > standard explanations given in the scientific literature as to
> *WHY*
> > the empirical studies that have been done to *test* the theory of
> > island biogegraphy have not held up under scrutiny--e.g., Puerto
> > Rico's deforestation, and the deforestation of the Brazil's
> Atlantic
> > coastline forests.
> >
> > Again, lots and lots of people have gone over this ground before,
> so
> > there's no need for me to repeat it here.  A philosophically
> > informed
> > account is found in Shrader-Frechette's and McCoy's METHOD IN
> > ECOLOGY
> > (Cambridge 1993), see especially chapter 3, "Ecological theory is
> > problematic" and particularly sections 3.1 "The theory of island
> > biogeography" and 3.2 "Applying the theory of island biogeography
> > conservation."  Among other things, Shrader-Frechette and McCoy
> > conclude, "Apart from whether island biogeography is good or bad
> > science . . . it is clearly inadequate foundation for applying
> > ecology to environmental problems" (79).  If Lomborg is being
> > illogical, then I'd say he is in good company.
> >
> > All of this is to say that I find Czech's statement, "For a
> > statistician who clearly prides himself in his grasp of logic,
> such
> > logical last resort is but one more indication of Lomborg's
> bias,"
> > utterly unconvincing.  Lomborg's treatment of the species
> extinction
> > issue is rather conventional and ultimately uncontroversial.
> People
> > may disagree with his *conclusions*, but that's fine.  That is
> how
> > it
> > should be.  But the argument shouldn't be parodied,
> misrepresented,
> > dismissed out of hand as illogical, or ignored. It should
> examined
> > and evaluated fairly on its merits.
> >
> > And I don't think Lomborg is merely a "regurgitation" of Julian
> > Simon, either.  Telling people "I recommend skipping The
> Skeptical
> > Environmentalist, because you've heard it all before" is imho
> simply
> > taking the lazy way out of preaching to the converted.
> >
> > Jim T.
> >
> > p.s. And a pox right back on you, sb.  Enjoy the book.   :-)

> [...]

Yahoo! - We Remember
http://dir.remember.yahoo.com/tribute