FW: POST MEDIEVAL and MODERN

"Sheldrick, Gillian" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 12 May 2000 15:20:24 +0100

text/plain

-----Original Message-----
From: Evans, Mike
Sent: 12 May 2000 15:20
To: Sheldrick, Gillian
Subject: FW: POST MEDIEVAL and MODERN

-----Original Message-----
From: Evans, Mike
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2000 2:51 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: POST MEDIEVAL and MODERN

Surely the relationship, at least in common usage, between EARLY MODERN and
MODERN is different from that between EARLY IRON AGE and IRON AGE. The
former terms refer to different periods, and are not nested as in the latter
case. It may not be consistent, but using modern as a wider term could cause
yet more confusion. Inelegant as it is I can see merit in using
post-medieval as a broad term, particularly given the obvious difficulty in
finding agreement on key periods within this.

Mike Evans