To view this newsletter in a browser, visit:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=NRICH-SUPPORT;8af28f1d.1512p

To ensure that this newsletter is delivered to your inbox, add

NRICH monthly newsletter: December 2015
Enriching mathematics
Logo

In this Newsletter:

Advent Calendars now online!

Latest Primary Features on NRICH

Latest Secondary Features on NRICH

Professional Development for Primary Maths Subject Leaders

Where would the world be without mathematics?

Seasonal greetings from the NRICH team

Contact Details

Subscription Details

Where would the world be without mathematics?

The British Society for the History of Mathematics, working with Plus magazine, is launching a competition for 11 to 19-year-olds to explore the history of mathematics. Entrants can submit a short article, video or multi-media presentation and there are cash prizes to be won. The closing date is 24th March 2016. Further details can be found here.

Seasonal greetings from the NRICH team

On behalf of the NRICH, I would like to extend our very best wishes to you all for the festive season and New Year.

2016 will be a very exciting time for the NRICH team. As some of you may already know, NRICH began back in 1996 so 2016 will be NRICH's 20th birthday. Watch this space!!

Meanwhile,we hope that you all have a lovely Christmas and we look forward to celebrating our birthday with you in the New Year.

Ems
NRICH Director

Advent Calendars now online!

Countdown to Christmas

New on NRICH for December - two Advent Calendars, one for Primary and one for Secondary. Click on each door to discover a task designed to stimulate mathematical creativity. A challenge for each day during the run-up to Christmas.

If you love the problems on the Advent Calendars, make sure you take a look at wild.maths.org where you will find plenty more opportunities to be creative with maths.

Latest Primary Features on NRICH

Image

We have just published new lower primary and upper primary features entitled Puzzling with Paper, which include paper folding challenges. The format of all the tasks is similar, with learners being invited to work out what shape will result when a piece of paper is folded along the crease pattern shown in a photograph. The idea then is to make different sized shapes in the same way by folding paper and then to create a pattern, which is repeated to make an eye-catching design.

The linked teacher feature will be published early next week but, in the meantime, take a look at the task Paper Patchwork 1, to whet your appetite. We look forward to receiving photographs of your children's creations!

Latest Secondary Features on NRICH

Our latest feature for Upper Secondary students, Identifying Trigonometry, looks at trigonometric identities and their proofs.

Professional Development for Primary Maths Subject Leaders

Image

Supporting children to be great at reasoning
Thursday 28 January, 2016 in London (Re-run of 10 June 2015)

Back by popular demand! Booking is now open for this one-day event for primary maths subject leaders, which is a repeat of an event run in the summer term. The day will look at progression in reasoning and the element of proof in some depth. For more details and links to the booking form, see the NRICH website. If you are unable to make the day, do take a look at our Reasoning Feature which will support you in developing children's reasoning skills.

Mastering mathematics and problem solving
Wednesday 2 March, 2016 in London (Re-run of 19 November 2015)

If you were disappointed not to secure a place on our 'mastering mathematics' event last month, you'll be delighted to know that this repeat date has been confirmed. The day will look at how problem solving supports learners to master mathematics and what it indeed means to master mathematics. Ideas around digging deeper using the same curriculum content will be explored and the place of proof in this process examined. More details are available on the NRICH website and booking will be live imminently.

Contact Details

Centre for Mathematical Sciences
Wilberforce Road
Cambridge
CB3 0WA

01223 761328
http://nrich.maths.org

You are subscribed to NRICH monthly newsletter. To unsubscribe, visit:
https://WWW.JISCMAIL.AC.UK/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=NRICH-SUPPORT&A=1