Help for MCG Archives

MCG Archives

MCG@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

MCG Home

MCG  May 2012

MCG May 2012

Re: Request for examples of current projects

Shelley Mannion <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 10 May 2012 16:14:47 +0100

Hi Nick,

Here at the British Museum, our communities team has led a project
called Talking Objects. Young people from local community groups are
invited to come in for an intensive, week-long workshop focusing on a
single object from the collection. The project is participatory, so
while it begins with museum curators sharing their knowledge about the
object, by the end of the week, the tables have turned.

Participants form their own interpretations of the object through work
with an artist. In a debate session on the final day, museum staff are
invited back to hear from participants what they think the object is
about and to see a presentation, performance or artistic work prepared
by the young people. Each project involves a different group of young
people and a different artist.

At least four projects have involved digital media artists. Two of these
are featured in the films below:

The Museum as object (participants made their own augmented reality
trails through the museum)
http://www.britishmuseum.org/channel/object_stories/talking_objects/vide
o_the_museum_as_object.aspx

The Nef mechanical ship (participants produced a film and animation
which was shown in the gallery)
http://www.britishmuseum.org/channel/object_stories/talking_objects/vide
o_the_nef.aspx

Feel free to get in touch if you'd like more information,
Shelley