MIDWIFERY-RESEARCH  1999

MIDWIFERY-RESEARCH 1999

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: [professionalmidwife] Fw: MT E-News 1:44, Oct. 29, 1999: Herbs

"Hobbs Consultancy" <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 31 Oct 1999 14:30:12 -0000

text/plain

Dear Ishbel
It was interesting to see the MT e-news, but I must express a level of
concern over the standard of info/advice given, particularly in relation to
the section on itching in pregnancy. Obstetric cholestsis is not a
condition to be left to the remedies of well-meaning but essentially
under-informed lay people. Having cared for a woman whose previous baby has
died as a result of this, and whose present child only made it by the skin
of his teeth, it seems that to dismiss the symptomatic itching as the
result of an overtaxed liver, which can be 'fixed' by means of herbal
remedies, is insufficient.
It may well be that the condition can be cured with these remedies, but I'd
like to see a whole lot more research before I abandon my current advice
and practice.
Lesley

----------
> From: Ishbel Kargar <[log in to unmask]>
> To: *Ukmidwifery <[log in to unmask]>; *Professionalmidwife
<[log in to unmask]>; *Midwifery Research
> Subject: [professionalmidwife] Fw: MT E-News 1:44, Oct. 29, 1999: Herbs
> Date: Saturday, October 30, 1999 10:27
>
> From: "Ishbel Kargar" <[log in to unmask]>

> For some time now I have been receiving the MT E-News, which contains
much
> interesting information.  I have not always forwarded it to the other
> mailing lists, as I thought they already received it.  I spoke to someone
> recently who said she hadn't seen it so I am forwarding it now.
>
> Please let me know if you already receive it, then I don't need to
forward
> it again.
>
> Thanks
> Ishbel

Midwifery
> [...]
> >
> > Look for their ad below!
> > o=o=o=o=o=o
> >
> > Send responses to newsletter items to <A
> > HREF="mailto:[log in to unmask]">
> > </A>
> > o=o=o=o=o=o
> >
> > In This Week's Issue:
> >
> > 1) Quote of the Week
> > 2) The Art of Midwifery
> > 3) News Flashes
> > 4) Enriching Our Knowledge
> > 5) The Fullest Application of Herbal Remedies
> > 6) Question of the Week
> > 7) Question of the Week Responses
> > 8) Switchboard
> > 9) Why I Became a Birth Practitioner
> >
> > o=o=o=o=o=o
> >
> > 1) Quote of the Week: "Once your mind is stretched by a new idea, it
will
> > never again return to its original size."
> > -Oliver Wendall Holmes
> > o=o=o=o=o=o
> >
> > 2) The Art of Midwifery
> >
> > One of the most irritating nuisances of pregnancy is itching skin. In
> > general, this is caused by an overtaxed liver. My usual recommendation
is
> > to take dandelion root tincture (Taraxacum officinale) twice daily. As
the
> > liver is nurtured and strengthened, the itching will stop, or at least
> > lessen considerably. Yellow Dock (Rumex crispus) is also a good
treatment
> > for itching. Both these plants are mildly cathartic (help empty the
> bowels)
> > and diuretic, which is useful for removing toxins from the stressed
liver.
> > -Katy Polone, Midwifery Today Issue 26
> > ====
> >
> > Share your midwifery arts with E-News readers! Send your favorite
tricks
> > <A HREF="mailto:[log in to unmask]">
> > [log in to unmask] </A>
> > ====
> >
> > Midwifery Care: Using Alternatives
> > Midwifery Today Philadelphia post-conference all day workshop
> > Monday, March 27, 2000
> > Instructor: Lisa Goldstein, midwife and herbalist
> >
> > A full day of information about the use of herbals and homeopathics in
> > pregnancy, birth and postpartum. An extensive reference book will be
given
> > to class participants. Slides will be shown for plant identification
and
> > there will be demos for making herbal tinctures, oils and salves and
> > homeopathic solutions from pellets. This class is for everyone!
> > For more information, call 1-800-743-0974. Please mention Code 940.
> > o=o=o=o=o=o
> >
> > 3) News Flashes
> >
> > False Hypertension Linked With Cesareans
> >
> > Many pregnant women may undergo unnecessary cesarean sections because
they
> > have "white-coat hypertension"--high blood pressure that happens only
when
> > they are around doctors, a study reported in the Journal of the
American
> [...]
> dried,
> > not fresh plants. In the fresh plant the cell wall is still intact, so
> most
> > of the constituents cannot be extracted. Drying is necessary to rupture
> the
> > cell wall and allow release of the constituents. A larger quantity and
> > broader range of the nourishing properties of the plant are available
in
> > water than are in alcohol.
> >
> > Simple teas are appropriate for flowers and seeds which open and
release
> > their contents easily, or for herbs where the volatile oils are a major
> > constituent.
> >
> > Infusions are used to prepare the leafy portion of plants. Leaves have
> > tougher cell walls so it takes longer for the constituents to come out
of
> > the plant into solution.
> >
> > Cold infusions are used for a few plants which contain valuable
> > constituents that would be damaged by heat.
> >
> > Decoctions are used to extract the more dense parts of plants such as
> roots
> > or barks.
> >
> > External applications of herbs, such as poultices, compresses and
> > fomentations, are used to accelerate healing and prevent or draw out
> > infection.
> >
> > Essential oils are very strong and are almost never used internally.
> >
> > Infused oils: The fresh plant is simply packed into a jar, covered with
> > olive oil, and allowed to sit for two weeks. Salves can be made by
simply
> > adding beeswax.
> >
> > Tinctures are alcohol based preparation. Some herbs work better in
> tincture
> > form, since some plant constituents are more soluble in alcohol than in
> > water. Some plants are more effective medicinally if the fresh plant is
> > made into tincture; in other cases, dried plant is more beneficial, and
> > with some herbs it doesn't matter.
> >
> > Glycerites, the sweet fraction of oil (oil minus the fatty acids) does
not
> > have the same extractive properties of alcohol. Most herbs are not
> > effective in this preparation.
> >
> > Powdered, prepackaged herbs have been extensively exposed to air,
causing
> > oxidation and rapid loss of potency. Grinding and encapsulating the
herbs
> > oneself is the best way to maintain high quality if capsules are
> preferred.
> >
> > Standardized extracts are chemically manipulated to isolate, measure
and
> > concentrate specific compounds that are considered to have beneficial
> > activity. There is more potential for side effects with these extracts.
> And
> > the synergistic effects of the plant are diminished or lost.
> > -Cindy Belew, CNM, Herbalist, "Herbs and the Childbearing Woman, Vol.
1,"
> > self-published book
> > ====
> >
> > 5) The Fullest Application of Herbal Remedies
> >
> > Using an herb only on the basis of getting rid of unpleasant diseases
> > without seeing the symptoms in the bigger picture (the family ecology)
is
> > an allopathic practice and an intervention. Herbs can be used this
way--to
> > fix something wrong--and/or herbs can promote the crisis of suffering
> > leading to healing which I consider of greater benefit.
> > Where I live in Utah, childbearing women have legs like the
Rand-McNally
> [...]
as
> > oat straw, red raspberry leaf and red clover, these herbs support the
> > expanding blood volume and tone the uterus. It is a wonderful and
> > refreshing beverage hot or cold. Taken during labor, it provides all
> > important, blood clotting vitamin K for mother and baby. After the baby
> > comes, it continues to refresh the mother, and helps increase milk
> > production.
> > -Kim Mosny, CPM
> > Memphis, TN
> > ====
> >
> > I am an aspiring midwifery student in Germany. The midwives and doctors
> > here use tea tree oil on the suture wound. A few days after a woman has
> had
> > an episiotomy or has torn, she is given a syringe with the needle still
> > attached, filled with tea tree oil. She is then shown how to use a
mirror
> > to see her wound and to drop a few drops of this wonderfully cool oil
> > directly on it. If she is not comfortable doing this, the postpartum
> > midwife will apply the oil. Putting the oil in the syringe with needle
> > allows accurate application. This is standard practice here and from
> > personal experience, I can attest that it really works well.
> > -Kiersten Figurski
> > ====
> >
> > To increase milk when mine gets low, I have found that Mother's Milk
tea,
> > made by Traditional Medicinals, works well. If I drink one cup in the
> > morning and another cup around noon, I am nearly dripping by afternoon.
> > Even one cup in a day makes a significant difference. It contains
fennel
> > seed, anise seed, coriander seed, spearmint leaf, lemongrass, lemon
> verbena
> > leaf, althea root, blessed thistle leaf, and fenugreek seed, a good
> tasting
> > combination. This tea is available at some health food stores and is
also
> > available from Cascade Healthcare Products or Blooming Prairie Coop.
> > The other "herbal" remedy (broadly speaking) I have found effective for
> > increasing milk is oats. When my milk has gotten low, I eat a generous
> > serving of oatmeal for breakfast. Later in the day I can see a
difference
> > in the quantity of my milk. I continue to eat this for a few days until
my
> > milk is reestablished at a sufficient level.
> > Of course, these remedies should be combined with the common sense
> > solutions of plenty of liquids for mom and enough rest. Making milk is
> hard
> > work for a mom's body.
> > -K.
> > ====
> >
> > I am a student midwife and work with herbs. Two herbs helpful for
diabetes
> > and safe during pregnancy are buchu and uva ursi. The dosage would be:
as
> > tea, boil a heaping teaspoon of uva ursi in a pint of boiling water for
> > thirty minutes (low boil to prevent evaporation). Remove from heat and
add
> > an ounce of buchu leaves. Steep. Do not boil buchu leaves. Buchu is
> > originally from Africa. If you have trouble finding the ingredients, I
can
> > help you.
> > Louise Hay states a probable cause for diabetes is "longing for what
might
> > have been; great need to control; deep sorrow; no sweetness left." The
> > affirmation she recommends is, "This moment is filled with joy. I now
> > choose to experience the sweetness of today." I have seen metaphysical
> work
> > effect healing.
> > As a fitness trainer, I was taught how exercise and nutrition help
> > diabetes. Exercise promotes the entry of glucose into the cells and so
can
> > lower a diabetic's glucose levels. Too much exercise can bring on an
> > episode of hypoglycemia. A safe recommendation, with your care
provider's
> > approval, would be: walking, plenty of hydration and the Bradley or
Brewer
> > diet (which can be accommodated to vegetarians). One key to stabilizing
> > blood sugar is the required 75-100 grams of protein daily, eaten in six
> > meals throughout the day. Pasta should be cooked al dente. White
> > flour/sugar products should be replaced with whole grains.
Carbohydrates
> > break down into sugar, so limit portions.
> > -Beth
> > Reply to: [log in to unmask]
> > o=o=o=o=o=o
> >
> > 8) Switchboard

effect
> is
> > an important part of the experience for caregivers to consider. Women
and
> > their partners each respond, sometimes with grief, and it is a passage
> > acknowledge.
> > -Anon.
> > ====
> >
> > I am a fabric artist, aspiring midwife and mother of three. My three
> > daughters were born at home into the hands of my mother (also a
midwife)
> > and me. The joy of their births has been exquisite.
> > Three months before becoming pregnant with my third daughter, I had a
> > miscarriage at about 5 weeks. I was devastated. I bled and bled, but
had
> no
> > actual baby to look at, bury, mourn. I made what I now call an "Unborne
> > Grieving Bag." I dyed fabric to look like a placenta, and on it I
quilted
> > tiny fetus I made from soft fabric. I made a small bag, also hand dyed
> > look like a uterus, and I put a blotchy red and blue dyed drawstring at
> the
> > top to look like an umbilical cord. Inside the bag I put healing herbs
and
> > ceder chips, and my little quilt baby. I carried the baby around in my
bra
> > for about a week, taking it out and kissing it, talking to it, and
> shedding
> > tears over it, carrying it against the warm place I would have nurtured
> it,
> > fed it and cuddled it. I named my baby, and placed special objects I
found
> > inside the bag with it to remember and honor it.
> > The grieving bag helped me tremendously in working through my grief.
Since