FILM-PHILOSOPHY 1998

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

film-philosophy news 1/2

F i l m - P h i l o s o p h y <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 21 Oct 1998 20:38:32 +0000

text/plain

                    F  I  L  M  -  P  H  I  L  O  S  O  P  H  Y

                                                        salon news

                                                              <////>

Screening The Past
Autobiography and Critical Thinking
A Millennium Of Utopias
Screening Disability
Philosophy And the Feminine
Feminist Identities
Film & History
Minerva
Angelaki
CybeREX
Television Talk
The New Venue
Mind, Meaning and Phenomenology
Technological Visions
Digital Cuts

                    ******************

From: Ina Bertrand <[log in to unmask]>

Screening The Past - an electronic journal of visual media and history

Issue 4 (July to October 1998) has just been uploaded.

It has a special emphasis on the televisual, with the following articles:
Allen Meek, 'Benjamin, the televisual and the 'fascistic subject''; Peter Hughes, 'Innovation or audience: the choice for documentary?'; William Uricchio, 'The trouble with television' ; and a republication of Leon Moussinac's 'Cinema: social means of expression', translated and introduced by Richard Abel.

In addition there are:
Sam Rohdie, 'Geography, photography, the cinema: Les Archives de la Planète'
and a short note by Stephanie Donald on the Chinese Taipei Film archive.

In 'Short subjects', Bill Krohn reviews Adrian Martin 's 'Once upon a time in America';
David Muir reviews Duncan Petrie's 'The British cinematographer'; Adrian Martin reviews Guy Austin 's 'Contemporary French cinema: an introduction'; Sarah Street reviews Jeffrey Richards' 'The unknown thirties: an alternative history of the British cinema, 1929-1939 ' and Jeannette Delamoir reviews Ronald Genini's 'Theda Bara: A Biography of the Silent Screen Vamp'.

Check us out at http://www.latrobe.edu.au/www/screeningthepast

We are always interested in receiving comments on anything published in the journal, or offers of articles or of reviews.

Ina Bertrand (editor)
--
(Dr) Ina Bertrand
Media Studies, La Trobe University, Bundoora, Australia 3083 [log in to unmask]
http://www.latrobe.edu.au/www/screeningthepast/

                    ******************

Call for Papers
Autobiography and Critical Thinking

	A special issue of Inquiry: Critical Thinking Across the Disciplines will appear in Spring 1999. The editors invite essays that focus on the autobiography/critical thinking nexus and explore (among others) questions concerning the identity and purposes of the persona presented in the autobiographical text, and the identity of the implied or projeced reader. These issues can serve as natural points of departure for consideration of concerns central to the discussion of critical thinking. 	If we work from the assumption that critical thinking is naturally embedded in autobiographical writing, how can we use this as a hypothesis to discuss education for critical thinking? Is critical thinking relevant to reading autobiography? If so, how? If not, why not? How does an autobiographer consciously employ critical thinking during the writing and revision process? How might the reading and exploration of autobiography develop critical thinking skills in students?

Please submit three copies of each manuscript, with your name appearing only on the cover sheet. Submissions should be between 3000-8000 words. In addition, please include a computer diskette with two files of your paper, one formatted and one text only. Macintosh, Microsoft Word (5.1) is preferred, but other popular word processing applications, including Windows formats, are acceptable. Please save your file in a version of your word processing application that is not the most current as well. Questions may be directed to Editor Robert Esformes via e-mail at [log in to unmask] or by telephone at (973) 655-5184.

Completed essays should be sent to Morton D. Rich c/o Robert Esformes, Editor, Inquiry, Institute for Critical Thinking, Montclair State University, Montclair, NJ, 07043 by October 1.

                    ******************

Call For Papers

A Millennium Of Utopias

The Theory, History, And Future Of Utopianism

The University of East Anglia is hosting an interdisciplinary, international conference on utopianism 23-26 June 1999. Scholars in such areas as American Studies, Architecture, the Arts, Classics, Communal Studies, Cultural Studies, Development Studies, Economics, Engineering, Environmental Studies, Film Studies, Gender Studies, History, Languages and Literatures, Music, Philosophy, Political Studies, Psychology, the Sciences, Sociology, and Urban Planning are invited to submit proposals. Proposals are welcome for formal 30-40 minute papers by individuals, for complete sessions devoted to recent research on a specific topic, and for roundtable discussions. The organisers are open to proposals for innovative music, film and video presentations or art installations and are particularly interested in work connected with the coming millennium. Proposals are welcome from younger scholars and postgraduate/graduate students as well as established scholars.

Costs. There will be a modest registration fee of 20.00 pounds to help defray costs. Room and board will be available on campus. Total cost for the conference, including registration and room and full board, is expected to be approximately 200.00 pounds. Both en suite rooms and those with shared facilities will be available with en suite rooms about 24.00 ponds more for the three days of the conference. Per Diem rates are also available.

It is hoped that some support will be available to those otherwise unable to attend from overseas.

Contact: Please submit a working title and a one-paragraph description of the proposed contribution to Professor Barbara Goodwin, School of Economic and Social Studies, University of East Anglia, Norwich NR4 7TJ, UK. Telephone (44) 01603-592271. Fax (44) 01603-250434. [log in to unmask]

Deadline: Proposals will be accepted at any time up to 15 November 1998 and early inquiries are particularly welcome.

                    ******************

Screening Disability
A Conference On Cinema And Disability

March 26-28, 1999
The University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA

The Cinema and Disability Group, associated with The Institute for Cinema
and Culture at the University of Iowa, is soliciting abstracts for its 1999 conference on Cinema and Disability. The Cinema and Disability Group is searching to understand the portrayal, depiction and use of disabled individuals in cinema. Through this conference, the Group hopes to actively initiate the interest and exchange of ideas in the fields of cinema studies, disability studies and critical theory.
Depictions and portrayals of persons in American popular films who live with disability have changed over time, sometimes influencing, at other times responding to, societal attitudes and beliefs. The primary goal of the conference is to attempt to understand these films in a new way, giving attention to how they present the phenomenon of disability, what they contribute to our societyís perception of disability, and how we can use such films to understand the nature of being human. Our mission is twofold: (1) we want to foster an environment where discussing, writing, and analyzing disability films as cinematic vehicles of meaning will occur, and (2) we are calling for a pursuit of a deeper understanding of the disabled experience. As these goals converge, we can begin to question whether or not films have displayed an authentic disabled persona, as well as question whether such a task is even possible.

Invited Speakers:

Paul K. Longmore (San Francisco State University), author of several influential
articles and essays dealing with disability and the media Martin F. Norden (Massachusetts University in Boston), author of _The Cinema of
Isolation: A History of Physical Disability in the Movies_ Billy Golfus, filmmaker, director of _When Billy Broke His Head_

Topics may reflect the following emphases in terms of cinema and disability:

*Structural, Psychoanalytical and/or Poststructuralist Approaches *Socio-Cultural Approaches
*Issues of Gender and Sexuality
*Cinematography and Technical Aspects
*Sound
*Queer Studies
*World Cinema
*Historical Approaches
*Feminist Studies
*Star Studies of Disabled Stars (Lionel Barrymore, Marlee Matlin, Tom Thumb, etc.)
*Auteur Studies
*Socio-Political Approaches
*Methodological/Pedagogical Concerns (ie, how to study and teach cinema and disability)
*Freaks, Carnivals and Cultural Exhibitions *Representations of Specific Disability (Blindness, Deafness, Physical, Mental Illness, etc.)
*Portrayals of Disease (AIDS, Environmental Illness, Alcoholism, etc.) *Documentary Studies
*Ethnographies
*Reception Studies
*Cinema and the Effects of the Americans with Disabilities Act

The conference welcomes diverse and creative interpretations of its topics.

Please send 1-2 page abstracts by December 15, 1998 to the following address:

The Cinema and Disability Group
c/o Christopher R. Smit
Dept. of Communication Studies
105 Becker Communication Studies Bldg.
University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA 52242

For more information contact Christopher Smit at (319)351-6134 or [log in to unmask]

                    ******************

_____________________________________
**Philosophy And the Feminine':
A Conference On Feminist Philosophy**
_____________________________________

Vanderbilt University, 29-31 January 1999

Featured Speakers: Drucilla Cornell, Naomi Scheman, Iris Marion Young

Philosophy in all its forms has long regarded its work as gender neutral. More recently, feminist philosophers have challenged this conception. Can we assume neutrality if thinking beings are also embodied, gendered beings? But if bodies are what matter, does the fact that philosophy is largely practiced by men make philosophy a masculine discipline? Or is 'masculine' merely a term of privilege loosely grouped with rationality and argument, agon and the polis, and 'feminine' a term of occlusion similarly grouped with intuition and persuasion, eros and the oikos (or chora)? Why should nature, or truth, or fortune be a woman? Our conference will be a forum for all those interested in continuing to explore such questions as they arise in any philosophical field at any point in its history.

We intend this conference to be an expression of the plurality of women's voices in philosophy, and we hope to create a setting that encourages dialogue across, as well as within, various traditions. Our goal is to provide a distinctly feminist voice, whereby we might explore the ways in which the boundaries that continue to exist among those engaged in feminist pursuits are themselves artifacts of the way traditional philosophy has closed out the kinds of concerns feminists are now bringing forward.

** CALL FOR PAPERS **

We welcome papers or detailed panel proposals on all related topics. Individual papers should have a reading time of no more than 20 minutes; proposals for panels should include a list of panel participants, statement of theme, and abstracts from each of the participants. The author's or participants' name(s) and e-mail address(es) should appear on the title page only, to allow for anonymous reviewing. Please indicate also on the title page whether you are willing to participate in any of the following ways: speaking at a round table discussion, chairing a session, commenting on another paper.

Please send two copies of submissions to:

Susanne Goethals and Jennifer Holt
Department of Philosophy, 111 Furman Hall Vanderbilt University
Nashville, TN, 37240.

NEW DEADLINE for submissions is October 30, 1998.

For further information, contact:
-- Susanne Goethals, (615) 228-2488, [log in to unmask] -- Jennifer Holt, (615) 383-4329, [log in to unmask]

Susanne C. Goethals	Office Ph: (615) 322-2637
Department of Philosophy	Fax: (615) 343-7259
111 Furman Hall	[log in to unmask]
Vanderbilt University
Nashville, TN 37240

                    ******************

* * * * CALL FOR PAPERS * * * * * * *

'Minerva', an Internet journal of Philosophy (ISSN 1393-614X) at http://www.ul.ie/~philos/
invites submissions for Issue No. 2 Winter 1998.

Submissions are sought on any topic from professional philosophers and/or postgraduate students, and may range from formal scholarly articles to reviews and discursive or colloquial discussions which would be accessible and intelligible to any literate reader with philosophical interests.

Submissions (Word, RTF or HTML format) by e-mail to the editor (Dr. Stephen Thornton), or by surface post, to:
Dr. Stephen Thornton,
Department of Philosophy
Mary Immaculate College, (University of Limerick), Limerick,
Ireland.

Telephone: 353-61-204341

Fax: 353-61-313632

                    ******************

>>A N G E L A K I <<
>>journal of the theoretical humanities <<

Selected 'Best New Journal'
Council of Editors of Learned Journals (CELJ) Awards December 1996

>'... an indispensable part of my library ... '
Lawrence Grossberg

>'... the most innovative and exciting new journal in the
field of literary and cultural theory to have emerged from Britain in recent years ... '
Nicholas Royle

>'... consistently provides innovative and stimulating insights
on an exciting array of current critical issues ...' Charles J. Stivale

>'... the conversations [Angelaki] enables have been
energetic, unpredictable and genuinely productive ...' Stephen Mulhall

>'... buzzing with critical energy ...'
CELJ judges

Angelaki publishes two theme issues and one general/open issue per volume. The journal invites submissions for its volume 4, number 3 general/open issue, for publication winter 1999.

Deadline for submission of 4.3 material for peer review: March 1999.

For full details on Angelaki, submission information and contents listings of volumes 2 and 3, please visit the journal's website at:

http://www.carfax.co.uk/ang-ad.htm

Authors considering a submission to the journal are welcome to contact the editors to discuss their work beforehand. Authors are advised to consider carefully the suitability of their work before submitting it. Contents of the 1998 general issue (3.3) are listed at the end of this post.

Submissions are subject to peer review.

Editorial e-mail: [log in to unmask] Editorial fax: +44 (0)1865 791372

Material address (editorial)
Angelaki
44 Abbey Road
Oxford OX2 0AE
United Kingdom

Angelaki: journal of the theoretical humanities. Print. Current volume: 3 (1998). 3 issues per volume. ISSN: 0969-725X. Published by Carfax Publishing Ltd.

>New Issue Just Out: The Love of Music (3.2). 13 essays
including work from Gilles Deleuze, Nicholas Royle and Samuel Weber. Please see the website for contents list.

>Register with Carfax Publishing's SARA service to receive
e-mailed contents lists of Angelaki issues on publication. Please see website.

>>ANGELAKI 3.3 <<
1998 general/open issue

Publication: Winter 1998
Edited by Pelagia Goulimari, Oxford, UK

>Contents

robert smith
MEMENTO MORI

joanna hodge
Contribution to a Research Project: Time and the Body A SMALL HISTORY OF THE BODY

lawrence grossberg
THE VICTORY OF CULTURE, Part 1: Against the Logic of Mediation

christopher kelen
VIRAL TROPE

peter hallward
GENERIC SOVEREIGNTY: The Philosophy of Alain Badiou

peter hallward & alain badiou
POLITICS AND PHILOSOPHY: An Interview with Alain Badiou

scott brewster
DEATH AND THE DINNER PARTY: Hospitality and Hungry History in Joyce and Bowen

* ANGELAKI Dossier: Together *

charles j. stivale
ACKER/RIMBAUD: 'I'-DENTITY GAMES

andrew bennett & nicholas royle
TORN-OFF SENSES

julia borossa & caroline rooney
THE POET AND THE PSYCHOANALYST: Mediums of Transmission

forbes morlock & pascal griener
ABSENT FRIENDS: Around _The Ambassadors_

diane morgan
AMICAL TREACHERY: Kant, Hamann, Derrida and the Politics of Friendship

richard johnson
COMPLEX AUTHORSHIPS: Intellectual Coproduction as a Strategy for the Times

vit hopley & eve lomax
STILL
Text and Pictures

Gerard Greenway

managing editor	general editor
A N G E L A K I	A N G E L A K I Humanities
journal of the theoretical humanities book series Carfax Publishing Limited	Manchester University Press
http://www.carfax.co.uk/ang-ad.htm

44 Abbey Road
Oxford OX2 0AE	E [log in to unmask]
United Kingdom	F +44 (0)1865 791372

                    ******************

The Thirteenth Annual Feminist Graduate Student Conference, 'Feminist Identities: Around the Globe and in the Academy,' invites film and video submissions for a festival to be held in Austin, Texas on March 6, 1999.

The conference, which will be held March 5-7, 1999, will address a broad range of issues including: activism and the academy, feminist theory and praxis, institutional networking, graduate student professional development, mentoring, and feminist pedogogy. The keynote speaker will be Dr. Chandra Mohanty.

The Film and Video Festival will bring together feminist graduate students involved in various media including performance, fine arts, and multi-media. Documentary, narrative, alternative forms are welcome.

We encourage submission of short films and videos directly related to the conference's theme 'Feminist Identities: Around the Globe and in the Academy.' However, any graduate student-produced work dealing with feminist politics or women's studies will be considered.

Both film and video entries should be submitted on 1/2 inch videocassette and be no longer than twenty minutes. Those students whose work is accepted to the festival are expected to attend in order to participate in discussion after screenings.

Deadline for submissions is November 1, 1998.

Send materials to:

Feminist Graduate Student Network
SOC #69
100-C West Dean Keeton Street
Austin, Texas 78712

Visit us at:
http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~femconf/

                    ******************

Film & History
An Interdisciplinary Journal of Film and Television Studies

Volume 28, Numbers 3-4 (1998)

Table of Contents

The Editor's Reflections and Reports. Peter C. Rollins 1

Special Editor's Introduction. Robert Brent Toplin 4

Oliver Stone as Cinematic Historian, Part II

New Left, Revisionist, In-Your-Face History: Oliver Stone's Born on the Fourth of July Experience. Jack E. Davis 6

Oliver Stone's Salvador (1986): Revolution for the Unacquainted. Dale T. Graden and James W. Martin 18

Way Cooler than Manson: Natural Born Killers (1994). David T. Courtwright 28

Jim Morrison, Oliver Stone, and the Quest for the Sixties. Barbara L. Tischler 38

Eisenstein Anniversary Essay (1898-1998)

Remembering Sergei Mikhailovich Eisenstein, 1898-1998: Wagnerian Opera in Stalin's Diplomacy. R. C. Raack 48

An Encomium to Richard Raack, Historian-Filmmaker. Peter C. Rollins 57

Saving Private Ryan Discussion

Realism, Genre, and Saving Private Ryan. Phil Landon 58

Make You Look: Towards a Critical Evaluation of Steven Spielberg's Saving Private Ryan. Laurent Ditmann 64

An Internet Discussion of Saving Private Ryan. Opinions from H-PCAACA 72

Film Reviews

Agnes Merlet. Artemisia (1998). John C. Tibbetts 82

Alamance. Lue Simopoulos. Craig Thompson Friend 84

Olympia (1997). Bob Byington. Beatriz Badikian 86

Book Reviews

Don Kunz, Editor. The Films of Oliver Stone.
Robert Fyne 92

Isabel Cristina Pinedo. Recreational Terror: Women and the Pleasures of Horror Film Viewing. Suzanne Broderick 93

Bernard Dick. City of Dreams: The Making and Remaking of Universal Pictures.
Wallace Bullock 94

Karl E. Cohen. Forbidden Animation: Censored Cartoons and Blacklisted Animators
in America.	Michael Yates 95

Stanley Corkin. Realism and the Birth of the Modern United States: Cinema, Literature, and Culture. Michael J. Strada 96

Donald Crafton. The Talkies: American Cinema's Transition to Sound, 1926-1931 (History of the American Cinema, 4). John C. Tibbetts 97

Paul M. Edwards. A Guide to Films on the Korean War. Robert Fyne 98

Peter C. Rollins and John E. 0' Conner, Editors. Hollywood's Indian: The Portrayal of the Native American in Film. Marshall W. Fishwick 99

Melissa E. Biggs. French Films, 1945-1993: A Critical Filmography of the 400 Most Important Releases. Laurent Ditmann 100

Patrick McGilligan. Fritz Lang: The Nature of the Beast. Peter Rollberg 101

Leslie Midkiff DeBauche. Reel Patriotism: The Movies and World War I. Peter C. Rollins and John E. O'Connor. Hollywood's World War I: Motion Picture Images. Robert W. Matson 102

Panivong Norindr. Phantasmatic Indochina: French Colonial Ideology in Architecture, Film, and Literature. Laurent Ditmann 103 Eileen Whitfield. Pickford: The Woman Who Made Hollywood. University Elizabeth Abele 104

Thomas Schatz. Boom and Bust: The American Cinema in the 1940s (History of the American Cinema, 6). Robert Fyne 105

McGilligan, Patrick and Paul Buhle. Tender Comrades: A Backstory of the Hollywood Blacklist.
Bernard Weinstein 106
James E. Wise Jr. and Anne Collier. Stars in Blue: Movie Actors in America's Sea
Services. David Wilt 107

International Liaison

Cambridge Colloquium. Richard Howells, Europe 108

Film and History in Scandanavia. Hannu Salmi, Scandinavia 109

More information is on the Film & History Web site:

http://h-net.msu.edu/~filmhis

Film & History Panels At National Pca/Aca
Meeting In San Diego, March 31-April 3, 1999

Last year, the Film & History Area of PCA/ACA held nine (9) panels and one workshop; this year, we have twenty (20) panels and one workshop. The movement is growing and you should check out the diversity and depth of our efforts.

All panels are listed on the Film & History Web site:
http://h-net.msu.edu/~filmhis

Also, these panels will be listed in the forthcoming issue of Film & History (Volume 28.3-4). The issue is the second of two monster studies of Oliver Stone; also, there is a tribute to Sergei Eisenstein plus sixteen book reviews and announce- ments.

Check it out!

Peter C. Rollins, Editor

                    ******************

CybeREX is an open new media lab dealing with experiments and expansion of borders in Internet, multimedia and digital video, and it offeres technical and logistic support to artists, art groups and interested individuals through education, research and production within the covered fields.

CybeREX cooperates with similar regional and international centers and non-government organisations. As the active studio for new media enables us for even more intensive links and contacts with artists and theoreticians and them for stronger partnerships.

CyberREx is a part of OpenNet (Internet Department of Radio B92), and it was formed upon initiative from Cinema Rex.

In the first stage, CyberREX initiated and organized lectures and presentations in the fields of new media. In the second stage, it works on presentation of the artists and art groups on Internet, starts its own projects and does commercial ones. CD-ROM and Web Movie (WM) production, improvement of communication through organisation and maintenance of mailing lists, chats, vdeo conferences, cooperation with students of various profiles, implementation of digital video technology and creative use of the new media.

CyberREX is also a gathering place for all people interested in new media forms.

Donors of CyberREX are Fund for an open Society and Swedish Helsinki Committee

Cinema REX i Opennet vas pozivaju na otvaranje CybeREX-a & rodjendan Opennet-a!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. oktobra 1998.
2000 - 2230
Cinema REX, Jevrejska 16, Beograd ili
http://www.cr.opennet.org

                    ******************

European Media Research Group

CALL FOR PAPERS

Television Talk
A One-Day Conference at The University of Southampton, February 13, 1999.

The increasing number of talk and discussion shows on contemporary television raises questions about their role in a visual medium, and about the specific forms and structures of television talk in different genres and national and industrial contexts. The primary focus of the conference will be on European televisions but comparative approaches encompassing other geographical areas are welcomed. Issues relating to the historical and industrial development of the media, such as the relationship and roles of television and radio talk will also be considered. Papers may focus on non-fiction genres such as talk-shows, discussion/magazine programmes, women's programmes, news and documentaries, and game-shows and on themes such as the following:

the nature of television talk, gender, race and class, the audience in the text, audiences talking, the mode of address to the audience, the `real' audience, the shifting roles of radio and television talk...

Please send proposals for twenty minute papers to: Dr. Lucy Mazdon, School of Modern Languages, University of Southampton, Highfield, Southampton, SO17 1DX. Tel: 01703 595435 e-mail: [log in to unmask] The deadline for submissions is Friday November 27.

The conference is organised by Dr. Lucy Mazdon of the University of Southampton, Lyn Thomas and Maria Esposito of the University of North London. It emerges from the foundation of the European Media Research Group. The identity and future projects of the group will be discussed at the conference but please contact the conference organisers if you are interested in joining the group.

                    ******************

The New Venue - Feature 14 - 'On the Ephemeral Nature of Little Movies'

History Repeats on

The D.FILM Digital Film Festival

N E W V E N U E

Created by Jason Wishnow.

MONDAY 5.OCTOBER.1998
THE NEW VENUE PRESENTS
---
'On the Ephemeral Nature of Little Movies,' a totally self-referential digital flick comparing the birth of movies on the computer to that of the moving image on celluloid, by artist and media theorist Lev Manovich.

After visiting the New Venue, click on 'About the Movie'. Follow the link to the 'Little Movies' web site for more in the series.

And now...

See what digital flicks are all about. This week --

http://www.newvenue.com

NEWSFLASH
---

The New Venue now archives all its past movies! Check 'em out!

CALL FOR ENTRIES
---
Submit *your* digital flick to the New Venue.

Deadline:	Ongoing.

Requirements: Under 5 MB.
Make it for the web.
Macromedia FLASH and Apple QUICKTIME formats only.

http://www.newvenue.com/submit

D.FILM : THE D1G1TAL F1LM FEST1VAL
---
The D.FILM Festival is traveling around California and across the globe.

THIS MONTH:  D.FILM 98/99 TRAVELING FESTIVAL and
D.FILM UNIVERSITY TOUR (a slightly different venue)

October 14th & 15th - PASADENA, CALIFORNIA
at the Digital Video Conference and Expo

October 15th, 16th, 17th, 23rd & 24th - UC SANTA CRUZ, CALIFORNIA
in Kresge Town Hall

October 16th & 17th - KARLSRUHE, GERMANY
at Trans-Fest

October 17th & 20th - SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO
at San Juan Cinemafest

Complete schedule information is available on the D.FILM website.

http://www.dfilm.com

MISCELLANY
---
Server space for D.FILM and The New Venue has been provided by Meridian Partners, Ltd. http://www.mpl.net

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+	+
+ The C O N S T R A I N T S of web video + +	+
+ should	E N T I C E	filmmakers +
+	+
+ to	create	N E W M O V I E S +
+	+
+ for	a	new	medium. +
+	+
+	+
+	+
+	+
+	http://www.newvenue.com	+
+	+

                    ******************

University of Southampton
Philosophy Department
CALL FOR PAPERS
One-Day Postgraduate Conference
Saturday 30th January 1999

'Mind, Meaning and Phenomenology'

In the first of what we hope to become an annual event, Southampton University Philosophy Department is organising a one-day post-graduate conference on Saturday 30th January. For this conference we are particularly concerned with Twentieth Century responses to traditional sceptical problems; in particular those relating to mind and body, language, and appearance and reality.   We hope to be able to present a balanced selection of papers representing both the analytic and continental traditions. The conference aims to be as inclusive as possible so as to give the broadest picture of various approaches to solving the problems of a particular area. The keynote speaker will be Dr. Stephen Mulhall of New College, Oxford, who will give a paper entitled 'Scepticism: the scandal of philosophy'.

The conference will be held at the Universitys Avenue Campus, and there will be a registration fee of £5, including lunch and refreshments.   Anyone wishing to present a paper  should submit a copy suitable for blind assessment (i.e. with two title pages only one of which should contain the authors name, contact details, and academic affiliation) to Jeremy Kernthaler / Mel Chester, Dept. of Philosophy, University of Southampton, Highfield, Southampton, SO17 2BJ. The deadline for submission is 7th December 1998. Papers should be no more than twenty minutes in length. For more information, or for advance registration details watch this space, or check the philosophy department website at http://www.soton.ac.uk/~philosop/ Contacts: e-mail [log in to unmask]

                    ******************

Technological Visions: Utopian and Dystopian Perspectives

A USC Annenberg Center for Communication convened by the Annenberg Schools for Communication, University of Southern California and the University of Pennsylvania

November 6 and 7, 1998
Davidson Conference Center, University of Southern California

Technological Visions: Utopian and Dystopian Perspectives will bring together journalists, academics, cyberculture advocates, policymakers, and science fiction visionaries to examine how technologies have been envisioned throughout history and the social impact of new technologies. The conference will explore ways of considering contemporary new technologies in light of how new technologies were represented and debated in the past. It intends to address the ahistorical nature of the public discourse of new technology and to encourage discussion across the boundaries of the social realms of academic, media, and industry on the impact of new technologies.

Sherry Turkle, Professor of Sociology of Science at MIT and author of Life on the Screen will give the keynote speech: Are the discourses surrounding the Internet a better guide to social action than those formulated in the early days of 'old' technologies? Have we learned anything from the successes and failures of past attempts to predict what technology will do for us and to us?

Panels:
The Problems and Potentials of Prediction Privacy and Censorship
Communities of Place and Cyberspace
Visions of Technology

Participants:
John Perry Barlow, Lord Asa Briggs, Richard Chabran, Bob Cringely, Wendy Grossman, Katie Hafner, Larry Irving, Peter Lyman, Carolyn Marvin, David Nye, Mitchel Resnick, Romelia Salinas, Vivian Sobchack, Lynn Spigel, Sherry Turkle, Langdon Winner, Philip Zimmermann

Conference Organizers: Sandra Ball-Rokeach, Marita Sturken, Douglas Thomas, Annenberg School for Communication

Conference Information:
The conference is free and open to the public. It will be held at the Davidson Conference Center on the USC campus in Los Angeles. The conference proceedings will be simulcast on the Metamorphosis web site.

For further information and conference schedule: www.metamorph.org

For more information, contact:
Douglas Thomas
(213) 740-3937

Marita Sturken
(213) 740-3950

                    ******************

Digital cuts in Cologne 28-31 October

Digitale '98

Digital Cuts

Computers were not initially invented to produce images but rather to control other machines. Undoubtably, today these control and command machines are changing the field of film editing. The breaking up and rebuilding of visual and sound sequences which characterizes the classical film editing gives way to a compositional working method thus following linear and hierarchical working methods similar to word processing. Editing and mixing are joined together in a single apparatus. While crossing through the shared digital code, complex layers of music, language, text, pictures and movement are formed. Filigreed weave structures which are no longer bound to real work spaces are the outcome. Beginnings of homebased artwork surface, showing once again that film production can take place outside of professional film making centres.

The Present and the Absent shows in four examples how Israelic artists in a contemporary way handle memories in film and how they combine history with the present. The day has been curated by Irit Batsry. Her film 'The Roman Wars' will be screened as the opening of the day, followed by David Perlov who will talk about his works and will show excerpts of his film 'DIARY' shot on 16mm, a diary filmed from 1973-1983. The seventeen years old Yonatan Vinitsky has produced during the last two years a very personal home video about identity and the history of violence. 'I LIVE YOU' will be screened for the first time during the Digitale '98.

Tirtza Even presents her beginnings dealing with hi(story) in hyptertext. Adam Berg shows a new version of his work 'Inter-View II: Unfolded Dialogue' which has been reworked especially for the Digitale '98.

Separating and Stringing Together shows positionings of montages in opposition to each other. Roberto Perpignani will report about his works as an editor of Orson Welles' films, about his collaboration with Bernardo Bertolucci and the Brothers Taviani. Maurice Lemaître is a pioneer of Lettrist cinema. Lettrism as the most radical art movement in the 50's had the determination to revolutionise cinema with techniques such as cover painting and scratches. In how far editing as a principle in film making can be avoided will be discussed in Heinz Emigholz' talk and presentation. In the 'Chequerboard' of the fourth 'Roth-Wiener-Teppich', written text and one-dimensional pictures are interwoven, but also usually disregarded pieces about live and 'garbage'.

Ingrid Wiener will report on this collaboration with different artists - a collaboration which has been kept alive through her individual loom. Lynn Hershman, who also deals with industry based weaving art, theorises about the relationship between computer based work, social production of identities and memories. She uses Ada Lovelace as a working example. Thomas Brinkmann and the RECHENZENTRUM atomise visual images and sounds during their performances, thereby destroying contrasts. M. Meisen-Jelas will simultaneously translate the performance into sign language.

PIC'N'MIX Peter Whitehead loves to see himself as a magician, falconer, god and eccentric film and rockstar of the 60's movement. Chris Petit, Iain Sinclair and Dave McKean use reports and self-representations of this character and through techniques of collage and montage created a documentary - 'The Falconer'. Fiction and reality merge together in this Avid-controlled assemblage about this living beat generation legend. The first ever German screening will take place in the afternoon and is later discussed by Chris Petit and Iain Sinclair. Remixing has already established itself in the music industry: Amos Zamorski and Andrew Chitty are renowned for their sound and film remixes for British television and will respond to Petit's recently procuded 'radio on' remix.
Keith Griffiths and John Wyver curate this day and show the connections between comics, cut-ups and strange cuts. In the evening, musician Bruce Gilbert will first transmit acoustic SOLI and will prepare us for a screening of 'RADIO ON', a long lasting visual journey.

Homework In larger pre-industrial communities spinning and weaving were a collaborated production process of goods and tales. Production took place in front of the homely hearth. Today, most hearths have been exchanged for television screens. Work takes place outside the home and the telling of tales is left to others. There are some film makers who have taken this as a starting point and have interfered in this run of things. Andrej Ujica and Heinz Emigholz will show us their work copied out of private recordings and the television and will talk about their associations towards this work: the revolution in Romanian television and the tears of a Brazilian football star are just two examples of their electronic plundering. Thomas Balkenhol will talk about his collaborated work with children in Turkey and Canada. His aim was to use Dziga Vertov's Kino-Eye in the production of contemporary technical pictures.

Yvonne Angkawidjaja and Filip Krejelk are organisers of the Fan Film Festival in Deggendorf and will look at films and fans and their positive response to the film and television industry.

F.M. Einheit/GRY and band will be performing in the basement of the Koelner Filmhaus on the last evening of the festival. The sounds and voices recorded at this event will simultaneously be screened on various internet channels. The relationship between an on-line concert and text will be tested.
The Filmhaus Cinema will be screening David Perlov's 'DIARY III-VI'.

An 'Instant Archeology' project recorded on an ES 7 will be filmed and edited during the Digitale '98. Parts of this work will be screened as a finishing film during the final evening.

www: Timothée Ingen-Housz
ES 7: Michael Mikina, Chris Chroma, Anja Theismann Inserts: Loki - a project of Anselm Weidmann and Peter C. Simon

Nils Roeller
Academy of Media Arts
Peter-Welter-Platz 2
50676 Cologne