PHD-DESIGN  January 2022

PHD-DESIGN January 2022

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

call for papers. Residues, remnants, and vestiges in Design and Art

jaron rowan <[log in to unmask]>

PhD-Design <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 31 Jan 2022 09:31:18 +0100

text/plain

  Call for Papers. Residues, remnants, and vestiges in Design and Art.

*Inmaterial Vol. 7 N.°13 – 2022*

*The submission deadline is April 15th, 2022.*

*Editor: Dr. Luis Guerra.*

“Our relationship with nature is broken. But relationships can change.
When we protect nature - we are nature protecting itself.”
(@GretaThunberg, May 22, 2021).

“So we have to be careful what we humans design, because we are
literally designing the future, and that future isn’t in our idea of the
thing, how we think it will be used and so on—that’s just our access
mode. The future emerges directly from the objects we design”.

Timothy Morton

“In essence: technics is memory-support. And this means technics is the
condition of the constitution of the relation to the past.”

Bernard Stiegler

Hiperproductivity seems to be a feature of our contemporary lives. Not
only in the sense of the production of objects, necessary gadgets, or
useless junk, but also in terms of virtual and digital matters.

Vast surfaces are colonized by the effects of these matters, vestiges of
a civilization in progress, in process, in development, crisis and
decay. We are witnessing the complexity of the sense of residue when an
accumulative sedimentation takes place globally. The phenomenon of the
“plastic soup” is just an example of it.

Many countries, companies, industries, and individuals have understood
and increased their investments worldwide in reducing carbon-emissions.
It is evident the intention in some developed countries, at least, on
mitigating in part their carbon footprints. Lately we have been
witnessing the complex debate on regulating biomass burnings. Energy,
use of soil, water, and climate are more than ever the main aspects for
thinking design in the middle of a deep changing environment.

Residues, remnants, and vestiges are all over the place, they inhabit
the space, the void, the territories, surfaces, and undergrounds, but
they also inhabit the virtual, the digital, communications, expressions,
memories, emotions, and imaginaries.

Australian philosopher Patrick Stokes, in his article “The decay of
digital personhood. Towards new norms of disposal and preservation”,
published in the edited book Residues of Death: Disposal Refigured (Eds.
Kohn, Gibbs, Nansen, van Ryn, 2019) writes about the “moral implications
of the persistence of digital residues”. He argues that we are living in
a world where the remains of someone else can continue living digitally
in a “network of relationships and association.” He writes that “such
digital residues should be considered as “digital remains” analogous to
bodily remains.”

What kind of implications that sort of statement has towards design,
both industrial and experimental? How should we understand the scope of
an issue that seems to be invisible to the daily activities in
industrialized societies when it is also creating a massive complex
environmental transformation? What are the potential tools that design,
art and other aesthetic and cultural practices, and in that sense
designers, artists, activists, cultural agents, should develop, both
conceptually and materially, to think this challenging residual matter?

Design, as a multidisciplinary field, faces an increasing challenge when
confronting its role in the production of leftovers, residues, remnants,
and vestiges. Both industrialization and manufacturing in design
industry implies a hyper productivity that collides with the limitations
of our world. How design is, or should be, engaging with these matters,
from its different surfaces of practice and research? In what way design
researchers are developing, or should develop, critical approaches to a
sensible, social, political, and economic agency that is touching
different aspects of our in-development societies? How design as a
practice and research through practice should compose the spaces for
allowing a conscious response to a multiple and sometimes confusing and
complex socio-political, and business environment? What sort of tools
are research designers exploring and developing both conceptually and
materially to confront and participate in these broader discussions? How
can we start thinking about and pushing forward post-sustainable design
practices?

This issue of Immaterial aims to gather scholarly articles from a broad
perspective highlighting the material and immaterial agency of the
phenomena of the residual. With an interest in gathering research from
different places around the world, effectively exposing the different
approaches to similar problems, and allowing the scientific review to be
the space of encounter for diverse researchers. We would like to invite
designers, thinkers, theoreticians, philosophers, artists, activists,
social engineers, mediators, educators, to share their ideas,
approximations, practices, and methodologies to contribute an intense
and multilayered aspect of our present.

We will thank perspectives addressing these issues such as (but not
limited to):

1. designing traces to digital memories

2. readdressing the memory of the remnants

3. creation through the discarded

4. pollution as a space for future worlds to design

5. impact of the residues in the processes of thinking-designing

6. aesthetics of the residual.

https://www.inmaterialdesign.com/INM/1

--

*Jaron Rowan*
Director de Investigación y de la Unidad de Doctorado de BAU

Bau, Centre Universitari de Disseny
Pujades 118 · Barcelona 08005
T. 934 153 474 · F. 933 001 552
www.bau.cat <http://www.bau.cat>
Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/Bau> | Twitter
<http://twitter.com/Bau_bcn> | Linkedin
<http://www.linkedin.com/company/884464>

/L’informem que la seva adreça electrònica, així com la resta de les
dades de caràcter personal aportades, s'incorporaran als nostres fitxers
de contactes amb la finalitat de gestionar l’agenda de contactes de la
nostra empresa i, per poder atendre les seves peticions de consulta per
via electrònica, basant-nos amb el consentiment atorgat en el moment de
contactar-nos i/o per ser necessari per la satisfacció dels interessos
legítims de les parts. Els destinataris d'aquest tractament seran els
departaments relacionats amb la seva petició. Aquestes dades es
conservaran durant els terminis legals establerts per la normativa
mercantil, fiscal i contable vigent en cada moment. / /Podrà exercir en
qualsevol moment els drets d’accés, rectificació, supressió, oposició,
limitació i portabilitat en els termes establerts en el Reglament (UE)
2016/679 del Parlament Europeu i del Consell, de 27 d'abril de 2016,
mitjançant notificació escrita i còpia del seu DNI a BAU, Centre
Universitari de Disseny, S.L., amb NIF B-61.533.790, Carrer Pujades,
118, 08005, Barcelona, o a través del correu electrònic [log in to unmask]
També està en el seu dret de presentar una reclamació davant de
l'Agència Espanyola de Protecció de Dades o l'Autoritat de Control que
correspongui. /
/Le informamos que su dirección de correo electrónico, así como el resto
de los datos de carácter personal aportados, se incorporarán a nuestros
ficheros de contactos, con el fin de gestionar la agenda de contactos de
nuestra empresa y, para poder atender a sus peticiones de consulta por
vía electrónica, basándonos en el consentimiento otorgado en el momento
de contactarnos y/o por ser necesario para la satisfacción de los
intereses legítimos de las partes. Los destinatarios de este tratamiento
serán los departamentos relacionados con su petición. Estos datos se
conservarán durante los plazos legales establecidos por la normativa
mercantil y contable vigente en cada momento. / /Podrá ejercer en
cualquier momento los derechos de acceso, rectificación, supresión,
oposición, limitación y portabilidad en los términos establecidos en el
Reglamento (UE) 2016/679 del Parlamento Europeo y del Consejo, de 27 de
abril de 2016, mediante notificación escrita con copia de DNI, a BAU,
Centre Universitari de Disseny, S.L., con NIF B-61.533.790, Carrer
Pujades, 118, 08005, Barcelona, ​​o a través del correo electrónico
[log in to unmask] También está en su derecho de presentar una reclamación
ante la Agencia Española de Protección de Datos o la Autoridad de
Control que corresponda. /
/We inform you that your e-mail address and so the rest of your personal
data facilitated, will be incorporated to our contact files for the
purposes of managing our agenda and to be able to attend your petitions
through electronic means, based on your own consent and/or to be
necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests by both parties.
The recipients of this treatment will be those departments related to
your request. These data will be preserved during the legal deadlines
established by the commercial, tax and accounting regulations in force
at any time./ /You can exercise the rights of access, rectification,
erasure, opposition, restriction and portability, in the terms
established in the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament
and of the Council of 27 April 2016, in our company address to BAU,
Centre Universitari de Disseny, S.L., with ID number B-61.533.790,
Carrer Pujades, 118, 08005, Barcelona or through the e-mail
[log in to unmask] It is also in your right to file a complaint with the
AEPD (Spanish Data National Authority) or the corresponding Supervisory
Authority./