PHD-DESIGN  July 2020

PHD-DESIGN July 2020

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Question for PhD supervisors, students, and graduates

Aurileide Alves <[log in to unmask]>

PhD-Design - This list is for discussion of PhD studies and related research in <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 22 Jul 2020 17:20:44 -0300

text/plain

Dear Danielle,
thanks for sharing your experience and way of thinking. I like it a lot.
Speaking as a PHD student struggling with the process, trying to learn it
all by myself I only wish I was one of your lucky students!
Keep on the good work.

Em sáb, 18 de jul de 2020 às 05:08, Danielle Wilde <
[log in to unmask]> escreveu:

> >> 1) Should PhD programs require doctoral students to publish as a
> condition
> >> of graduation?
> My answer to this is unequivocal. No.
>
> >> 2) If they do not require publication, should PhD programs encourage
> >> doctoral students to publish?
> equally emphatically, yes.
>
> >> 3) Does — or did — your doctoral program provide a course in research
> >> writing?
> my doctoral program (Monash University, Australia, Faculty of Art, Design
> and Architecture, 2007-2011) provided a course in research writing for
> candidates run by the library. Additional support was provided by the
> librarians on request (librarians, like workshop technicians, are the
> backbone of what has been possible for me as a Designer and academic), the
> individual support was meant to be helpful, and in retrospect I understand
> its value, but at the time I lacked sufficient background in academic
> writing to leverage it properly. Like many of my peers in the extremely
> large doctoral cohort in the Faculty of Art, Design and Architecture at
> Monash (120 candidates at any time), I had little to no prior experience
> with academic writing. One might argue I should never have been accepted
> into a doctoral program without the academic background, but my outcomes
> suggest that might be a mistake. I gained many awards for my research
> including the university medal.
>
> >> 4) If your doctoral program provides a course in research writing, what
> >> does the course involve?
>
> at SDU (my current university), I am heavily involved in a research
> masters program: MSc in IT Product Design. Because of my own struggles with
> learning to write in an academic context, I developed a writing course, and
> built it into the research methods course, which I co-teach. It consists of
> several workshops, extremely practical in nature, spread over the 13 week
> methods course. I paste my notes from last year, below. These are abridged
> (written for me) and evolving all the time. Feedback from students each
> time I have run it is that it was the most useful set of lectures they have
> ever had in their education. It’s very practical and customised for
> learning alone together:
>
> Writing workshop 1 : 2hrs
> in preparation, students send in a page of writing. I respond with
> detailed mark-up, and hand out the annotated papers when we started this
> first class. They were then given time in pairs to reflect on and try to
> understand the feedback. My comments, as I handed the papers out: When I
> give you feedback, you don’t need to respond. It’s there for you to use,
> misuse, ignore or take on board. It’s not an invitation to a conversation,
> it’s a proposition, an invitation to reflect on a reader’s point of view.
>
> I use errors that I found in the writing to step through the things that
> people can do wrong, or might do better. In this way I speak directly to
> [...]

*Aurileide Alves*
http://lattes.cnpq.br/1136607316077439
https://orcid.org/0000-0003-4769-8584