Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: 30-day Research Challenge

esra bici nasir <[log in to unmask]>

PhD-Design - This list is for discussion of PhD studies and related research in <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 17 May 2020 16:46:34 +0300

text/plain

Dear Ken and all,

Thanks for this thread for sharing our current interests and concentration.

I have been in this list since 2010 (as I remember) and have been joining
conversations and opening up threads time to time; but not so often. It has
been great to get feedback from some inquiries. For example once I had
asked ideas about the 'concept of function' and I had gained many important
and rich feedback from the members.   Also I cannot forget many brilliant
feedback for my inquiry about grading rubrics regarding design education.

I gained my Ph.D degree in 2016 from Istanbul Technical University,
Industiral Product Design Doctorate program in Istanbul, Turkey. My thesis,
entitled as 'An Investigation of Transformation of Living Room Furniture:
The Idea Of Living Room, Furniture Acquirement Dynamics And Use Practices'
was actually written in Turkish. The article I derived from it: ‘Living
Rooms Occupied: Narratives on the Recontextualization of the “Museum-Salon”
Practice in Modern Turkish Domesticity
<https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/17406315.2019.1699739>’ has
been recently published and issued in Home Cultures: The Journal of
Architecture Design and Domestic Space; co-authored by my supervisors Prof.
Şebnem Timur and Prof. Meltem Ö. Gürel.  The revision process has been
a great school for me to explore even more thoroughly manifold notions of
domesticity and their relations with design discourse. You can visit the
link here for more information :
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/17406315.2019.1699739

Also I still have free copies that you can provide from me through an
e-mail. In relation with this forum list, I would like to thank some
scholars who kindly helped me in some steps in my writing process. I would
like to thank Qassim Saad for sharing me his studies about Iraqi
modernization which contributed my work very well for exemplifying other
non-Western contexts. And I also would like to thank Richard Harriot for
helping me with the final touches by means of language. It has been great
opportunities to collaborate.

Another work I have been working on has been a book chapter: ‘User
Appropriation Issues’ which was published by a local publisher. This was an
attempt to bring the literature on appropriation practices performed by
users after they purchased and brought the products at home; the
differences between how the designers intend to design and how users use
them. I had also covered these subjects regarding ‘Non-Intentional Design’
by Uta Brandes and ‘Thoughtless Act’ by Jane Fulton Suri in my Ph.D. Now I
articulated further with *Domestication* literature as I also consider even
furthering it in near future.

I also would like to tell about a short essay, written in Turkish, about
Ottoman Revivalism in the context of Living Room Aesthetics for
‘Arredamento Architecture – Design Culture Journal’. It is generally about
considering the takeover of conservative politics in the cultural and
social realm of Turkey and the burgeoining of a new Islamic upper class
lifestyle manifested in home decoration. Members of this social group
identified themselves mostly referring to consumption patterns related with
signs and styles of Ottoman Revivalism. Actually consumption field and
status consumption was mostly belonging to and associated with Westernized
secular habitus and lifestyles. I analysed a conservative upper middle
living room in this essay and observed living room furniture in
Neoclassical style or some objects like Turkish delight containers or
sherbet containers or objects carrying signatures of Ottoman Sultans and
many other things were symbols of status display and impression management.
This is a short essay now but I might further it as well.

Now that the hot summer strikes Izmir, the city I live.

Sunny regards from Izmir,

Dr. Esra Bici Nasır
Design Academics
Part-time Lecturer
Department of Interior Architecture and Environmental Design
Izmir University of Economics