LIS-TALIS-ASPIRE  March 2019

LIS-TALIS-ASPIRE March 2019

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Older editions on reading lists - retention, weeding, policies, liaison.

David Steedman <[log in to unmask]>

David Steedman <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 6 Mar 2019 15:28:50 +0000

text/plain

Hi All,

In answer to your questions, Kevin:

> (KO'D) Do you have knowledge of how this part of the policy was formulated? Particularly around how you consulted with academic staff involved in teaching or who created reading lists.

With regards to how the policy was formulated, it was the library's recommendation, to maintain currency in line with our Reading List Framework and the policy then went through several committee stages for approval. Here it was the University Senate, Library Committee which is comprised of a library rep from each department along with our deputy provost for learning and teaching and then a learning and teaching committee. I have to say, we will be enacting this for the first time this summer, so we will see how it's received. Certainly the first time, we won't do anything without giving some warning.

I share your bugbear of any workflow that involves a lot of (or any) emails. I'm working with our academic engagement team at the moment to establish the reasons academics say things like this. I have a hunch it's to do with particular chapters in old editions, to which my answer would always be digitisation and would still give us authority to weed all but one copy by our policy. Combining this message with continually pointing to a collections development policy agreed at several university committees means it protects us to have some authority making these decisions. There was one mad afternoon where I started to wonder whether we should try and get academics to re-bookmark things themselves once we buy new editions and let them know. I quickly re-considered.

> (KO'D) Anything that reduces or even completely eliminates superfluous and repeated edition checking throughout the year, when faster turnaround is required, would be welcome. I wonder how much time is spent/lost on new edition checks with no action required, just another aggregation of minor losses.

I'm glad to hear others like this approach. I think my biggest annoyance with collections is the delay between the eBook coming out 6 months, a year, 18 months after the print. Any process which allows us to buy print and e simultaneously while keeping in line with our policy to maintain currency is going to win with me. I think people have different opinions when it comes to print vs e, I'm certainly of the opinion that students appreciate both for different reasons and I really hate the idea of buying a new edition in print only and weeding an unlimited eBook just because it's a year old.

I actually did a bit of work last year on how many new editions our assistants actually found when checking every single entry every single time in Talis Reviews. The results were miniscule. It's come up again in some other big orders we're getting ready to send off. At the moment I'm looking at a list of 5000 titles bookmarked heavily on Reading Lists, I think I have a list of 96 titles from suppliers where there's a new edition available. Just the idea of clicking through checking 4900-odd reading list entries only to go 'yep, that's fine, next one' just makes my brain hurt a little, let along asking someone to do it.

> (KO'D) You could always use the FRBR vector in Primo as a starting point to create your own algorithm

This is extremely interesting, thank you for this! I have to say my method of FRBR-ising is extremely DIY and I do want to make it someone I can trust. I'll certainly be happy to share if I do crack something!

All the best,

David

David Steedman

Reading List and Digitisation Coordinator

Library Services

University of Roehampton | London | SW15 5SZ

[log in to unmask] | www.roehampton.ac.uk

Tel: +44 (0) 20 8392 3352

​