Re: NO2 Filters

Peter Fleming <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 20 Jul 2018 11:37:10 +0000

text/plain

Phil

I should have also mentioned that I have been involved in studies where AQ was measured at height in an area that was otherwise grossly polluted. This showed that air taken higher up is relatively clean.  (It brought levels below the AQ objectives.) It may therefore be possible to have air inlets on the top of the building instead scrubbing dirty air from street level. Just be careful the inlet is not near to back up diesel generators on this or an adjacent building!

Regards

Peter Fleming

07958 205920

Skype: petermfleming

-----Original Message-----

From: Air quality <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Fabia Pollard

Sent: Friday, 20 July 2018 11:45

To: [log in to unmask]

Subject: Re: NO2 Filters

Hi Phil

We tend to avoid this type of system as a single solution, as current thinking suggests that this removes an element of choice and control from the occupants, plus there are obvious maintenance issues.

The solution will, of course depend on the location of the building within the AQMA (distance and orientation to the road etc.). It may be that your consultant has already discussed these issues and considered the drop off in NO2 concentrations with distance from the road.

We usually recommend that to reduce any potential adverse effects of poor air quality that the good practice measures set out under ‘Operational Phase’ in chapter 5 of the EPUK & IAQM Guidance, Planning for Air Quality should be included in design. The guidance further recommends that development should be ‘designed to minimise public exposure to pollution sources’ e.g. by locating habitable rooms away from busy roads. Where habitable rooms are ventilated with windows opening onto the AQMA, consideration should be given to an alternative means of ventilation to further reduce adverse effects on occupiers on days when air quality may be poor. This approach means that occupants have the option to open their windows in periods of 'good' air quality and an expensive ventilation system doesn’t have to run when it's not required.

Regards

Fabia Pollard,  Scientific Officer

Environmental Quality

Environment & Planning

Borough Council of King’s Lynn and West Norfolk T   01553 616587 E  [log in to unmask]