PHD-DESIGN  December 2017

PHD-DESIGN December 2017

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Journal Editorships, Journal profitability, and payment to editors

Ursula Tischner <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 4 Dec 2017 16:27:15 +0100

text/plain

Dear Ken,

thank you for your long reply, impressive that you have the time to write these extensive posts.

Here just a short reply for clarity.

I am NOT arguing that we should shut down commercial journals, not at all.

BUT, if you run a commercial journal and earn quite a decent amount of money with it, then you should simply PAY the people you engage to do the work that results in the products and services that you sell.
Imagine the bakery around the corner would tell you, you had to come in for an hour each week to help them bake the bread, before you are allowed to buy a loaf of bread from them.
After a few times you’ve done that for fun, you would question why you do the work AND pay for the bread, does not make a lot of sense, does it?
So why do we do the exact same thing with commercial scientific journals?

My suggestion is rather that if we have to work for them for free anyway then we could simply also create our own free access, open source, crowd sourced and crowd funded journals rather then supporting this pretty unethical mainstream commercial publishing business.

As you and quite a few others do.

With the opportunities internet, social media etc. offers today, we have all the tools at hand.

E.g. my team and I run the open innovation for sustainability platform www.innonatives.com <http://www.innonatives.com/> that does a similar thing for open innovation and design activities. Non commercial organizations and people can use it totally for free.

E.g. I know many  journalists who are organized in open source reporting groups such as
https://krautreporter.de <https://krautreporter.de/>
https://perspective-daily.de <https://perspective-daily.de/>
These have crowd based „democratic“ financing models and offer normally much better content than the flawed mainstream media, which fails to do any serious investigative journalism anymore.

So why not look into similar models for scientific journals?

Best…..

Ursula Tischner

econcept, Agency for Sustainable Design
Albatrosweg 11