Re: ongoing gender issues...

Shujoy Chakraborty <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 31 Jan 2017 18:10:01 +0000

text/plain

Dear List Members

It occurs to me as I follow this debate on gender issues, that it can also
be re-cast as a *minority vs majority* issue. I say minority not as a
demeaning term (nor in terms of only numbers), but rather to point out a
group that is under-represented (in terms of equal opportunities-
financial, social, professional, educational) the have-nots so to speak.
Although the discussion here points towards a gender bias as highlighted by
Naveen, Teena, Ursula and Tiiu bringing forth a pattern of representations/
opinions getting suppressed, I being a man but belonging to an ethnic
minority living in Western Europe for 10 years have faced most such
situations painted here in this thread.

Teena points out how a Mac store employee judged her pc buying preferences,
Tiiu mentions how society expects women to pursue secretarial positions,
Ursula regarding her housing loan application, though in a way, don't such
biases happen on a broader basis crossing gender lines even based on
religious/colour/ethnic lines as well?

As a non-European living in Western Europe for 10 years having pursued my
PhD and teaching/research career here, I have been routinely subjected to
almost exactly the same biases since my arrival, which the gender studies
discussion here suggests only women face. Many times the people who
subjected me to such biases were themselves women.

Since examples have been elicited with explicit scenarios allow me to do
the same:

*On visiting stores:*
I have almost been habituated to being 'politely' asked my reason to visit
upon entering stores- receiving sideways glances. On one occasion when it
was a technology store, I responded by saying I was interested to purchase
a PC, resulting in looks of surprise- almost suspicion/ amusement. All this
while I noticed most other patrons (European) being left alone while they
browse products in their privacy.

*On opening a Bank Account:*
Several years ago when I relocated within Europe to pursue a teaching
position, I entered a bank (will not name it) and the security personnel at
the door promptly stopped me. Upon enquiring my reason for entering he
informed me : "you know unfortunately you need a job which pays you at
least €xyz euros a month to open an account here, I am sure we cannot help
you :)" Needless to say I had a job, though I proceeded to take my business
to another bank.

*On being judged in my occupation:*
Often times when I visit my local health practitioner for a health checkup,
the doctor while filling out a prescription casually almost with conviction
asks me "so which restaurant do you work in?". On being told I am a
university professor instead I receive looks of surprise, embarrassed
smiles, nervous laughter etc. Isn't this the same as when women are being
judged to possess secretarial skills just by virtue of their gender?

*On being judged for my ethos:*
Recovering from a recent bout of sickness, just today on being late for a
doctor's appointment, I was told "Mister here in Europe we like to be on
time". The irony? I was delayed because a local colleague who was giving me
a lift to the hospital (due to my sickness) overslept. Conversely my
students regularly cite me as a Professor who instilled in them the habit
of punctuality/ starting lessons on time.

*On job interviews:*
During my early career days fresh out of university after my PhD, more than
once I had politely been informed that my candidature could not* be
considered due to the fact that I am "different culturally", despite
possessing all the requisite qualifications, only because I wouldn't "fit
in" with the work environment.

*Travelling:*
I am almost habituated to being profiled by immigration authorities each
time I return to Europe from a foreign trip (scientific conference/
personal trip), especially regarding my occupation. A recent conversation
went like this:
So what do you do?
Me: I work in a university
By work, you actually must mean you are a student.
Me: No, I am a professor
You mean you teach!? What?
(at moments it gets worse)

*On gender diversity at work:*
Absolutely. But what about ethnic diversity? Many design schools/
universities I have interacted with during my career were weakly
represented in terms of teaching staff in this regard. In many places where
I was engaged during my journey as a teacher, researcher, designer, I
remained the only non-European.

My friends, the reason I paint these scenarios is not because I disagree
that a gender bias doesn't exist. Nor to be cynical/pessimistic, far from
it. I support the point of view being voiced by the list members
here. Though I feel that this bias is somehow perpetuated at all levels not
just restricted to gender. I feel people who come from a more
underrepresented group (sometimes its gender, sometimes ethnicity,
sometimes colour etc) have a higher likelihood of being subjected to
biases. In this thread it is men vs women, but in another context it can be
doctor vs patient or professor vs student, where gender may not be at play
always. Persons who might feel sidelined at work/education due to gender
issues might unknowingly be propagating such a bias to other humans
themselves when they are in a position of privilege, facing down to a
person of colour/religious-ethnic minority/ etc. (the doctors,
interviewers, store clerks- many of them who judged me were women )

I am also not suggesting that such biases are restricted to only
Anglo-Saxon/ European/ White communities. To a lesser extent perhaps, I
feel this happens all over the world (India-my experience) and as such we
need to overcome the human tendency to administer such biases to our fellow
human beings through proper education and possibly exposure to
other cultures/ mindsets/ points of view.

I only request lets not restrict this equality issue only to gender or to
colonial thinking but also consider it against a broader backdrop of a
majority vs minority debate, otherwise it would be a disservice to an
important cause.

This article by BBC comes to mind: http://www.bbc.com/capital/sto
ry/20160915-should-you-change-your-name-to-get-a-job

Thank you for your patience and I hope to not have offended anyone.

Best Regards,
Shujoy

On 31 January 2017 at 13:35, Tiiu Poldma <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > In 1974 the Harvard Educational Review published a serious paper about
> "Women in Higher Education" that suggested, among other things, their
> unreliability as professors. A few years later, when I was in high school
> one of the only skill courses offered to women, in the academic high school
> I attended, was "Secretarial Skills". I was strongly encouraged to take
> this course instead of the academic ones I would need to continue on to
> university. My mother advised me not to take the course, as then I would be
> called upon for those skills rather than my abilities in the workplace.This
> was a course offered alongside sciences, maths, languages, politics,
> history, art , music, etc.
> >
> > When I was in university,I got a job in an architect's office, where I
> was given large responsibilities alongside the head architects. The second
> summer I worked there, and when they expanded their office they needed
> extra help. They turned to me and asked if I had secretarial skills. I say
> "Sorry, no I do not" and I stayed in the drafting office working on major
> projects. I have worked in design for various firms since 1982 and some of
> the discussions here reflect experiences that I have had. To be told you
> are not considered for partner because of your gender is a tough one to
> swallow.
> >
> > I published my Masters thesis entitled " Gender, Design and Education:
> The Politics of Voice" back in 1999.
> >
> > The more things change...
> >
> > Best regards to all,
> >
> > Tiiu

*Com os Melhores Cumprimentos,*
Best Regards,

Shujoy Chakraborty (Ph.D)
Asst. Professor - Interaction Design + Product Design
Faculty of Arts and Humanities (FAH) | University of Madeira (UMa)
email: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
www.uma.pt