PHD-DESIGN  July 2016

PHD-DESIGN July 2016

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: On privilege and a bit on how to start seeing our own privilege

Lilly Irani <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 6 Jul 2016 04:37:15 +0000

text/plain

Thank you for your post, Naveen. You made me think about many important
issues:
- how safe spaces cannot simply be declared but have to be created, like
trust, over time
- how "robust" discussion dominates other values like listening and
attempting to empathize
- how people can act in solidarity by drawing (limited) analogies between
their experiences/position and another's, while also not mistaking those
positions for the same.

Questions of speaking -- who speaks, who listens -- are, despite comments
otherwise, precisely related to privilege. In carol Gilligan's empirical
linguistic work, she pioneered changing how to count what counts as moral
communication. She argued that scoring that privileges robust discussion
privileges men, while scoring that counts listening and statements that
demonstrate care and listening ought to count (and better captures
contributions American women are socialized to make).

Perhaps this list needs a culture of robust care for new positions and
ideas, as much as critical discussion. I certainly should try.

It was a brave and thoughtful post and I bet lots of people heard you, even
though clearly some people did not.