MUSICOLOGY-ALL  January 2016

MUSICOLOGY-ALL January 2016

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Andrew Goodwin Memorial Prize for best student essay - deadline extended to 31 January 2016

"Matt Brennan (University of Edinburgh)" <[log in to unmask]>

Matt Brennan (University of Edinburgh)

Wed, 13 Jan 2016 07:51:51 +0000

text/plain

Hi all,

Please note that the deadline for submissions for the Andrew Goodwin
Memorial Prize has been extended to 31 January 2016.

This is an annual prize for best postgraduate student paper on any aspect
of popular music from any disciplinary perspective, and the prize is £500.

See full details below. Please circulate widely and encourage your students
to submit an essay - or if you're a PG student member of IASPM UK-I, please
consider submitting.

Best wishes,

Matt Brennan
Member-at-large, IASPM UK and Ireland branch executive committee
--

http://www.iaspm.org.uk/andrew-goodwin-memorial-prize/

Andrew Goodwin Memorial Prize

Andrew Goodwin was a key figure in the development of popular music
studies.  His background was in media and cultural studies: he received his
Ph.D. in Cultural Studies from the University of Birmingham and taught for
many years in the Department of Media Studies at the University of San
Francisco.  He was a pioneer of the scholarly analysis of music video (in
his book, Dancing in the Distraction Factory. Music Television and Popular
Culture, for example, which drew on his previous work on television) and an
astute critic of the use of postmodern theory in popular cultural studies.
But his work also reflected his experiences as a working musician and
critic (experiences explored in his entertaining Professor of Pop blog),
and his articles on such topics as music technology and the concept of
world music remain models of clear-eyed common sense and analytic insight,
informed as much by practice as theory.   As a teacher, colleague and
friend, Andrew was an untiring source of ideas, enthusiasm and support, and
his untimely death, in September 2013, was a huge loss to all of us in
IASPM.  The Andrew Goodwin Memorial Prize was established in 2014 as a
fitting tribute to his generosity to younger scholars.

Aim: To promote popular music research and to support new scholars.

Eligibility: Postgraduate students who are currently registered at
universities and colleges in the U.K. and Ireland and who are members of
IASPM. Current students and IASPM UK-I members who submitted essays for the
AGMP in previous years but were unsuccessful may apply again; however, they
are not allowed to submit the same essay (or essay topic) twice. Previous
winners of the AGMP may not apply again.

Awarded for: Essay of 3,000 to 4,000 words, on any aspect of popular music
from any disciplinary perspective.

Prize: £500 and publication of the winning essay on the Andrew Goodwin
Memorial Prize web page on the IASPM UK and Ireland website.

Dates:  Submissions to open 1 October 2015 and close 31 January 2016.
Decision announced 1st May 2016. Prize awarded at IASPM-UK conference (and
at IASPM international conference alternate years).

Panel of judges:  The 2015-16 panel of judges is Matt Brennan, Sara Cohen,
Simon Frith, and Sarah Hill.

Guidelines for submission:

Submissions should be in either a Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx) or .RTF
document file format, with double-spaced, 11-point in Arial font text
(quotations larger than 40 words indented, in 10-point text). The student’s
name and institution should appear on a title page as part of the essay
document. PDF files cannot be accepted. All submissions should follow the
Harvard Referencing Guide.

Essays should be submitted by 31 December 2015 to the following e-mail
address:[log in to unmask]

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 12:01 AM, MUSICOLOGY-ALL automatic digest system <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Topics of the day:
>
>   1. Frank Bridge Chamber Works Symposium 19th Jan Royal College of Music -
>      free tickets available
>   2. International Hip Hop Studies Conference - University of Cambridge
>   3. University of Cambridge Music Faculty Colloquia - Professor Nicholas
> Cook
>      (20th January, 5pm)
>   4. Centre for Russian Music at Goldsmiths presents Prof Marina
>      Frolova-Walker: 19th January 2016
>   5. CFP [extended] Gli spazi della musica (2016, no 1 and 2)
>   6. REMINDER: Call for Papers: IASPM UK and Ireland Biennial Conference:
>      Popular Music: Creativity, Practice and Praxis
>   7. CfP - Inaugural Issue of the Journal of Creative Music Systems
>   8. Call for Participation - MUME 2016
>   9. REMINDER - Leverhulme Early Career Fellowships at the Faculty of
> Music,
>      University of Oxford - Deadline Monday 18th January
>  10. Short term job/skills development opportunity for a recent PHD
> graduate at
>      the RCM, London

> Date:    Fri, 8 Jan 2016 16:23:58 +0000
> From:    Emma Hewett <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Frank Bridge Chamber Works Symposium 19th Jan Royal College of
> Music - free tickets available
>
> Dear Musicology subscribers,
>
> There are still free day and evening tickets left for the RCM's
> forthcoming Frank Bridge Symposium on the 19th January which will focus on
> his early chamber works during a workshop and an evening concert. Lunch,
> refreshments and an evening drinks reception are all included in the
> tickets.
>
> Some big names are featured including pianists David Owen Norris and Roger
> Vignoles, scholars Lewis Foreman and Stephen Banfield, composer Anthony
> Payne, and violinist Madeleine Mitchell.
>
> Day sessions (from 10am) include:
> 'The Early Chamber Music of Frank Bridge: Finding a style at the Turn of
> the Century'
> 'Bridge as Song Writer',  'Bridge and the Phantasie'
> Workshop on Frank Bridge's Early Chamber Works
> 'Frank Bridge and the BBC'
> Roundtable discussion
>
> Evening reception then a concert starting at 7pm
> Students from the RCM explore the Chamber Music of Frank Bridge including
> String Quartet in Bb Major (1901), 'Phantasie' Piano Trio No. 1 (1907),
> Three Idylls (1906) , String Quartet No. 3 (1926)
>
> Sign up at http://rcm.ac.uk/events/listings/?date=2016-01-19
>
> We look forward to seeing you on the day or in the evening - it should be
> really enjoyable!
>
> Emma
>
> Emma Hewett
> Research & Knowledge Exchange Manager
> Royal College of Music
> Prince Consort Road
> London SW7 2BS
> United Kingdom
> Tel +44 (0)20 75914734
> Fax +44(0)20 7591 4356
> Email: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
> [...]

Matt Brennan
http://www.eca.ed.ac.uk/reid-school-of-music/matt-brennan

Reid School of Music
University of Edinburgh