PHD-DESIGN  November 2015

PHD-DESIGN November 2015

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Design Thinking applied to design education and design research training

Terence Love <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 15 Nov 2015 21:36:34 +0800

text/plain

Dear Chuck, Ken, Peter and all,

Thanks to Chuck for pointing to changes at IBM. I have a great respect for IBM having seen for example interface design work at IBM emerging decades later in OSX, and the way that Watson technologies offers to make many difficult design problems relatively trivial. Thanks to Ken and Peter for their insightful analyses of design education.

I feel there is another perspective.

The characteristics of design thinking include: being solution and outcome-focused and drawing on study of, and empathy with, users, and better knowledge about their needs and the benefits to them of particular designs.

These core elements of of design thinking are also seen in marketing and various management approaches.

It could be argued that universities practiced design thinking before it became popular with design businesses.

The picture I've seen across a variety of universities is as follows. I'm aware other people's experiences may be different but I suspect the academic role of 'design thinking' is similar

It started when universities began to regard students as clients and users in the mid-1990s. That opened the way for course designers to focus on studying students' needs in terms of the outcomes as seen  as important by students and those now (privately) paying for the students studies.  In some cases, this involved students looking for something that would be fun to do, and parents paying to ensure their offspring got a degree.

A form of design thinking was what got universities to understand how to design courses to provide the appropriate benefits that aligned with student needs.

In universities we have design thinking of the form:

Course designers studying the needs and wants of users (students) to create design solutions (courses) that can be implemented by the design sponsors (university business administration).

In design businesses we have design thinking of the form:

Product designers studying the needs and wants of users to provide designs that can be implemented by the design sponsors (other business's administration).

In many universities, this led to designing curricula for design programs that would be attractive to students to undertake. This meant courses could be designed to be highly profitable to the point that the design programs could become a cash cow  (in BGC matrix terms) to help fund courses in other fields that were less profitable or had low student numbers  or low income compared to their costs (e.g. in the Humanities, Art, Law and  Architecture).

Including the wants, needs and benefits of universities, designers and the field of design as users in such  'design thinking' about creating courses aligned well with the above ideas to the benefit of university administration and other fields that got the extra cash.

Over time, it became clear that design courses could be made highly attractive to students and a highly profitable cash cow for the university as a whole without any obvious loss in educational quality because there was no expectation of a high standard in academic theory in design. In short, in many programs the acceptable standard was whatever was produced.

I suggest 'design thinking' was what led to quality problems in design education and design research.

Its clear there are advantages in improving the quality of theory, education and research in design disciplines.

The question is how? On evidence, a simple application of design thinking doesn’t seem to be the best tool.

Chuck has identified that something in the spirit of change of IBM needs to be applied to design education. Ken has argued against design thinking. Peter is suggesting we have been doing design thinking... What seems clear is design education needs to improve by doing something different.

Warm regards,
Terry

---
Dr Terence Love