Re: Respect

Stefanie di russo <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 7 Jun 2015 14:10:16 +1000

text/plain

Carlos,

Your claims are questionable. A quick google search under the term "ratio
of female to male designers" surfaces these statistics:

"Despite the fact that women make up the majority of the gaming audience,
the number of women working in the games industry remains shockingly low-
only 12% of game designers in Britain and 3% of all programmers are women.
The number of women speaking at industry conferences and press events is
minuscule. And it isn't because women don't want to work in games"
(Jayanth, 2014)

"Demographically, designers are 60% male, 93% white and, on average, 38
years old. The survey compares these figures to architects, software
professionals and 'artists & literary professionals'. In gender terms,
design doesn't come off badly – 84% of architects and 86% of software
professionals are male. " (Burgoyne, 2010)

"Despite the fact that women control 80% of consumer spending, only 3% of
creative directors (and we're not talking about celebrity CDs
<http://www.fastcocreate.com/1682443/what-does-a-creative-director-do-exactly-and-is-justin-timberlake-qualified>)
are female." (Dishman, 2013)

"A much-quoted survey of the UK design industry published by the Design
Council in 2010 revealed that only 40% of designers were women, in
startling contrast to the 70% of female design students. " (Siddall, 2014)

"63% have suffered sexual discrimination (including inappropriate comments
or being treated differently because of gender) in their career. Most of
the discrimination happens on the construction site and not as much within
the architectural office." (Kim, 2012)

And a simple Google search using the term "women in academia" revealed:

*"* more women enter university than men
<http://www.ucas.com/data-analysis/data-resources/data-tables/sex>and there
is almost equal representation
<http://www.ecu.ac.uk/publications/files/equality-in-he-statistical-report-2013-staff.pdf/view>
of
women and men at lower professional levels, only 27.5% of senior managers
in higher education and 20.5% of professors in the UK are women. Worse,
only 1.1% of senior managers in higher education and 1.4% of professors in
the UK are black and minority ethnic women" (Black & Islam, 2014)

"“It was expected that male part-time instructors would move on to
something better and the women wouldn’t or they would be satisfied with
less,” Schell said. She says this fits into the idea of women earning
“psychic income” to make up for the lack monetary earnings." (Steiger, 2013)

"In 2009, the *Women in Science in Australia*
<http://scienceandtechnologyaustralia.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/2009report_wise.pdf>
report
showed that despite over half of the students studying science being
female, numbers drop sharply as they climb the career ladder. Typically, a
quarter of our junior independent researchers (senior lecturers or
assistant professors) are women but this plummets to 10–15% at the highest
academic level (professor). Interestingly, even though the starting numbers
vary for different scientific disciplines (e.g. engineering and mathematics
are male-dominated disciplines, even at the undergraduate level), this
compelling inverse relationship dominates across the board." (Evans-Galea &
Jones, 2014)

"The major finding was that while women as senior managers had an increased
capacity to impact on decision-making in managerial universities, mainly
related to ‘soft’ management skills, these were not valued in a competitive
management culture strongly focused on research output. Thus managerialism
presents a great challenge for women in senior management in higher
education." (White, Carvalho & Riordan, 2011)

"compared to men, women who pursue BAs in less math-intensive fields, such
as the life sciences, psychology, or the social sciences (LPS), are less
likely to earn PhDs or go on to assistant professorships with their PhDs,
instead choosing health and other people-related occupations. Moreover,
those who do enter academia are less likely to get tenure or get promoted
in both the life sciences and psychology." (Friday, 2015)

In my survey, design comes through as a very gender neutral activity (not
only regarding the demographics but also regarding the fact that there are
no significant differences of opinion or practices between genders).

I would be interested to see the method and results of your survey.

I for one don't buy into gender bias, be it for or against males or
females. Admittedly, in my country we don't have the "old boy network" of
anglo-saxon tradition, so that might be the reason why all these gender
issues seem so outlandish to me. We do suffer from an age-old gender bias
across all sectors of activity, don't get me wrong. But in design,
specifically, the tendency is actually towards female domination.

Female domination in undergraduate enrolment or in industry? As many of my
references have pointed out, females dominate the percentage of design
students but unfortunately this is not reflected in practice.

Just because you do not see this imbalance doesn't mean it does not exist.
Im surprised to read such loaded and subjective claims from a research
student.

Best,

-Stefanie