Re: drawing for designers and others

Jacques Giard <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 14 May 2015 00:14:44 +0000

text/plain

Gunnar, Lubomir, Robert, Judith and list,

The topic of drawing and designers is fascinating from many points of view. It is perhaps even more challenging today with the many students who have never used a pencil for cursive writing let alone drawing. There is this belief that digital instruments of one kind or another are much more sophisticated than a cylindrical piece of graphite enrobed by wood. My own simplistic approach has been to call a drawing class PAD, or pencil-aided design. Somehow this acronym resonates a bit more with a few students.

More seriously, my experience of teaching industrial design, including drawing, at three universities in two countries for over 30 years, boils down to a few conclusions or lessons learned:

  *   Many students students cannot draw because they cannot see. This point was made clear to me when a guest lecturer in my professional practice class said that she could identify those students in my class who read regularly by the quality of their written assignment. That is, a student who read on a regular basis (not web pages, mind you, but articles and books) generally wrote better papers. This insight made me think about drawing: perhaps students cannot draw well because they do not see well. This is when I developed a 15-minute exercise at the beginning of each of my drawing classes. I would bring an artifact, usually a design object of one kind or another. I would place it on the table for students to view, inspect and examine. I would also tell a story about the object and its designer. I would then put the object away and ask students to draw five different views strictly from memory. The first drawings were terrible; by the end of the semester students had become much better at drawing because they had become better at seeing.
  *   It should be noted that a few of my colleagues did not appreciate the production of terrible drawings. From their perspective all drawing should be well done, which leads me to my next lesson learned: as designers we need to be mindful of the teaching methods that we borrow from other disciplines in the visual arts. This is especially the case when we borrow from the fine arts without totally understanding why designers draw in the first place. As an industrial designer I draw for two reasons: to assist me in my thinking or creativity process, sometimes called visual thinking, and for communication. Too often I see drawing exercises in design that are taken directly from other disciplines without ever understanding the learning outcomes, i.e. why are we doing this exercise in the first place?
  *   Expectations have changed since I first started teaching design. Thirty years ago it could take you a week to see the slides that you took on a roll of film. Today no person, let alone a student, would accept this kind of time delay. A colleague of mine at San Jose State decided some years ago to see immediate gratification not as a threat but as an opportunity. On the first day of his second-year drawing class in industrial design he asked his students to find an image of something that they wanted to draw. Not surprisingly most students picked very difficult subjects such as concept cars. Anyone who knows the domain of automotive design would know that drawings of automobiles demands very specialized skills. No instructor would have recommended such a subject. Nevertheless these students were not daunted by the challenge. They proceeded to draw the concept cars and make a mess of it. Are we surprised? But what happened next is important: my colleague sat down with each student, analyzed the terrible drawing, and determined what in the student’s drawing did not match the original. For example, the wheels did not look quite right. Why? Because the student did not understand the underlying principle of circles and ellipses. The remedy? Let’s draw circles and ellipses. Some of you may say that this is what you do now. The difference, however, is that the San Jose students now have a reason to draw pages of circles and ellipses. The exercise suddenly has meaning. Moreover, the desire of immediate gratification so present in the students is satisfied by drawing the concept car at the beginning of the semester and not waiting 12 or 15 weeks to see the end results.

I would love to read about other exercises that allow design students to learn and use drawing more effectively.

Best wishes,

Jacques Giard PhD
Professor of Design
The Design School
Arizona State University

480.459.6879

Go Green!  Please do not print this e-mail unless it is completely necessary.