SIGMA-NETWORK  March 2015

SIGMA-NETWORK March 2015

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: What are your thoughts on online resources for help with teaching statistics?

Michael Cross <[log in to unmask]>

Michael Cross <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 16 Mar 2015 14:14:17 +0000

text/plain

Hi Joanne,

About 4 years ago, we conducted a preliminary review of pre-university maths resources online for engineering and science students (no stats unfortunately).

The things we learned that I think are transferable to your situation are as follows:

Firstly, the professional judgment of experienced advisers is very useful.  We were confident in our professional capability to identify valuable resources.  These tended to be learner-centred materials that guided the reader in an engaging way, starting from the perspective of 'not-knowing' and guiding towards 'knowing'.  There were some genuinely problematic materials where the author's position of 'knowing' seemed to compel them to focus on the formal presentation of a topic, hiding the practical aspect that the reader is actually looking for.  It is almost as if the author was saying "'I will teach this but you must learn something else,' where 'this' is explicitly stated and 'something else' is the responsibility of the learner" (Alagia, 1999 p. 40)

As a result, we tended to focus on resources that didn't make assumptions about the reader's prior knowledge, skills or their understanding of technical terms.  For example this might mean there is some attempts to translate formal maths language into everyday terms (not to diminish the formal but, rather, to prevent it being a barrier to initial access).  Similarly, signposting any 'expected' prior knowledge is useful in a resource as is the inclusion of practical examples.

Finally, however, we found that one of the biggest issues, which led us to refocus the project, was not having control over the resources.  We spent a considerable amount of time analysing what was valuable and what was not only to have some of those resources move, disappear, become inaccessible or simply change so much they no longer suited our purpose.

I hope that is of some help,

Kind regards,

Michael

Michael Cross

Senior Adviser
Academic Skills Advice
University of Bradford
BD7 1DP
Tel: 01274 236863
Tel: 01274 236849 (Information Room)
Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: www.bradford.ac.uk/academic-skills

Alagia, H. (1999). Mathematicians, Mathematics Teachers and Mathematical Discourse. The Mathematics Educator, 9(2), 38-41.