PHD-DESIGN  September 2014

PHD-DESIGN September 2014

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Design as human agency (was Design Facilitation for participatory work)

Lubomir Savov Popov <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 23 Sep 2014 14:44:44 +0000

text/plain

Dear Terry,

I am following the last discussions with interest. I appreciate your contributions to design theory and to this list. However, some of the positions that you share in the last several months might be stretched to the extreme and difficult to defend.

First, let me start with your assertion that machines can design. It is very strong. It will be difficult to defend. Furthermore, it is impossible to defend on disciplinary grounds-- I mean from the position of design studies and the design disciplines. We need to discuss this issue at philosophical level.

From a Historical Materialist perspective, only human beings can design. It is very simple for historical materialists -- design is thinking, and only human beings can think. If you disagree with this, you have to move the discussion to philosophy. The advent of computing machines has brought some examples that obfuscate the big picture and generate motivations for revision. However, a revision is possible and makes sense only when it is initiated and contemplated at philosophical level.

Second, about your definition of design. It is an excellent definition! However, it is disciplinary. It stems from and fits best in the fields of engineering design. I am glad that you focus our attention on the specifications. In the detailed explanation of this definition I would clarify that these are production specifications as opposed to user needs specifications, which belong to pre-design programming (my favorite area).

At disciplinary level, it is not possible to have a single definition of design, and in particular, a one-sentence definition. Typically, one-sentence definitions can communicate only one aspect of the phenomenon. I don't say this is a deficiency, but emphasize that we are working with only one or a few aspects in such cases. A multi aspect definition can extend in many pages. In effect, this will be a collection of definitions. We don't consider this a definition but a treatise on the nature of design. Such are our conventions. By "we" I mean the research community

On a different note, Bruno Latour's actants would not help in this discussion. Latour is definitely embarking on something big, preparing for a more complex world that might emerge after 50-60 years. His ideas are generated in a deconstructivist philosophical realm and make sense only in that realm. Design is a product of modernity. Design discussions can take place only within modernist boundaries. Beyond these boundaries, we will experience a lot of difficulties, paradoxes, and conundrums. Latour's actant is a concepts for another world that might happen or may not. Who knows. The concept of "actant" allows for integration of humans and machines in a way that is substantially different from the modernist thinking and human-machine systems discourse. There is a lot of work to be done on this concept and the whole ANT. At this time, ANT is just an intellectual exercise with tremendous potential. Currently it poses more problems than solutions. This is normal for philosophy and philosophers whose job is to raise problems rather than offer solutions.

Best wishes,

Lubomir

Lubomir Popov, Ph.D., FDRS
Professor, Interior Design Program
American Culture Studies affiliated faculty
Bowling Green State University, Ohio, U.S.A.