SV: Re: Why designers need maths

Birger Sevaldson <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 9 May 2014 05:57:06 +0000

text/plain

Dear Terry
Please make accessible to us your portfolio of cases on which you base your claims, that is design projects and research that support your argument and demonstrate the validity of your claims, preferably real cases from business. Before you do that i dont think this discussion is going anywhere.

Best
Birger

Sendt from my mobile.

---- Terence Love skrev ----

Dear Ken,

Thank you for your message. I apologise and  feel like the problem is more
that I'm not explaining things well enough.

There are many kinds of mathematics and many ways of using mathematics. All
of the three types of maths you listed can be used in design. They are  used
in creative conceptual design in the more technical design fields.

They were not what I was referring.

I've tried to explain this  same issue from multiple directions (I've lost
count)  most recently in terms of  concepts (modes and types of abstraction
etc) and examples. So far, I'm clearly not making the point. My apologies.
Phew - deep breath.

Let me step back to see if I can find another way to describe this
particular collection of ways of creative thinking using mathematics.

In the meantime, you might find a connection with  one aspect of things
through the  image in http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_programming

Best regards,
Terry