Re: Knowledge

Klaus Krippendorff <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 28 Apr 2014 07:53:18 +0000

text/plain

dear ken,

i am glad the paper alfredo introduced in our discussion and my post gave you pause and i am pleased you affirmed many things i stated from the origin of the word fact to copernicus finding simpler descriptions of the movements of planets not facts.

you quote the "economist" for defining an etymological fallacy which consists of believing that one has to continue the original meaning of a word in the present. i have never heard anyone insisting on that and i never dreamed of that suggestion. i merely take the liberty to define how i like to use a word and going back to the root of "fact" is a preference that opens ways of seeing what is otherwise closed. to me it makes sense to say that facts are made when i read ludwik fleck's famous book titled "genesis and development of a scientific fact" or bruno latour and steve woolgar's "laboratory life; the construction of scientific facts." it makes also sense to say that facts are made when wittgenstein writes of "tatsachen," loosely translated as "things done by deeds" even when it translated as "facts" in the english text.  i grant that your use of the word fact an undisputable truth is not unusual, but it is what we call a conversation stopper: someone who claims that something is a fact (in your sense) is not willing to question its validity. this is unfortunate, also in view of the paper that alfredo introduced in our discussion.

quoting the "economist" you also say that nobody thinks of persons as wearing a mask although this is the original meaning of the word person. in much of social scientific writing the distinction between a person and its self is precisely one of playing a role, hiding one's self behind a mask worn for others, being not one's true one's self. etc. similarly, the japanese are very much concerned with their face, doing face work, attending to the image one wants the public to sees, not who someone really is, metaphorically wearing a mask.  maybe one should not ask the "economist" but the "ethnographer" or "social scientist" what it means to be a person.

my whole point of objecting to the universalist view that terry advocated was to bring the conversation back to what humans experience, talk of, and design, making terry and you aware that we can't observe the universe without being an observer, that there is not content in a text without reading, that claiming the ability to see the universe from the perspective of a god who has no body, now standpoint, and no perspective is delusional and certainly not helpful for human-centered designers.

i don't see how you can agree with me that there is external reality that escapes our observations and simultaneously claim to know that gravity exists regardless of how we describe it.

what i find unfortunate is that you are not willing to resolve these contradictions and instead shifty gear to an abstract concept, knowledge, that entails the same contradictions but perhaps makes them less transparent.

let's face it, knowledge is a noun that externalizes the process of human knowing. nounification enables you to talk of knowledge in the abstract and as separate from human beings and actions. in one of your posts, you realized that this isn't quite kosher and so you introduced the distinction between objective knowledge and subjective knowledge inviting the cartesian binary back into the picture. with that you have arrived where we disagreed with a supposedly superior universalist conception and a somewhat inferior human-centered conception.

ken, you haven't escaped from your strange epistemology challenged by alfredo's paper.

klaus