Re: Predicting Human Behavior

Terence Love <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 7 Sep 2013 00:37:04 +0800

text/plain

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your message. Please could you explain why being able to predict
how humans behave means that:

<snip>' Things would run well in our big cities and our financial markets
would all work effectively. Iterative gaming simulations would have brought
the predictable victories that commanders expected in the uncontrollable
wars of the past half-century. We would have long ago eradicated some of the
easily managed health problems that arise from problems that are in
principle easy to control through such simple techniques as hand washing and
teaching patients to take their full prescription treatment rather than
stopping when symptoms decrease.'?

I suspect you may be confusing predictability with determinism, and ignoring
the problem of wishful thinking.

I suggest the argument I presented before doesn't need to be substantiated
any more than I did. The evidence presented (the existence of various fields
etc)  is sufficient to support the conclusion. Sure it requires thinking
through the reasoning rather than reading citations or referring to whoever
you might consider authorities, but  'self-evident' evidence has the
advantage that you don't need to trust some other codger's reasoning first
(or worse, their discussion)  .

Yes, I agree with your claim  there is need for a nuanced view.
Predictability is always relative, partial  and contingent to need, but
predictability of likely user behaviours doesn't require knowing where every
molecule of the universe is at all times till the next big bang.

There's an argument that its relatively easy to predict the behaviours of
groups of people but less so for individuals. Ok, let's start with
individuals and some coarse level predictions. How about, every individual
is going to die?  Too coarse?  How about, if an individual is insulted, they
will react? Too coarse still? How about , if an individual is looking at
another individual's face, they will react in a given pattern of emotion?
(well documented) How about, if an individual is used to left to right
reading they will have difficulty with menu processes working right to left
compared to those working left to right?  How about if you know someone and
you are given part of a sentence could you infer the likelihood of the next
words?  Bit by bit it  is possible to fill out the bigger picture of human
predictability with lots of smaller chunks of prediction about elements of
their life

It is effortless to create thought experiments in this realm and from
experience they always  point to humans being predictable in some way. In
fact, I'd love to hear of thought experiments or other evidence that show
that humans are NOT predictable in any way.

The wishful thinking basis for predictability assumes somehow  people will
operate according to some approved conscious bounded rationality. The
example you gave is good: people don't always take the medicine they are
prescribed. Human motivations do not necessarily align with what other
people wishfully think should be best.  Individuals eat too much, don't take
medicines, smoke, drink, argue on the web  and a host of other activities
that to an outside observer might not seem obviously predictable. I suggest
that apparent lack of predictability is more a measure of using poor
quality prediction methodics.

As you say, this requires more nuanced discussion.

I feel what we can say at the moment, however, is there are already well
established approaches to accurately  predict the behaviours of groups.
Investment in predicting the behaviour of individuals, however, at the
moment  appears to have lagged. Having the ability to predict the
behaviours, feelings and thoughts of individuals has lagged except in
particular fields such as psychology/psychotherapy  and the criminal justice
system. One possible explanation that seems plausible is there has been less
commercial or political profit in it, and marketing and PR has until
recently focused on mass media.  There is now increasing attention to
predicting individual behaviours that aligns with the awareness that
individualised marketing and political persuasion may be more effective, and
the cost -benefit economics are now favourable with reductions in costs of
communication and computing.  Some of this individual prediction work is
showing significant accuracy. For example, the prediction of  an
individual's future movements on the basis of past mobile records is
reported to be around 93% accurate
(http://www.northeastern.edu/news/stories/2010/02/network_science.html ).
For me, it is of interest where we locate the unit of analysis in devising
prediction methods for individuals and groups. Many have focused the unit of
analysis on behaviour and effects on behaviour.  Pentland and Liu (1999)
claimed it was better to analyse humans in terms of control events.
Personally, I suspect it is better at higher levels still.

Best wishes,
Terry
-
Dr Terence Love
M: 0434975848
=
Pentland, A., Liu, A. (1999) Modeling and Prediction of Human Behaviour,
Neural Computation, `11, 229-242