Re: Maths for Design

Francois Nsenga <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 18 Sep 2013 16:05:25 -0400

text/plain

Dear Terry

Thanks for the effort and precious time you are 'investig' into this
conversation. Whether agreeing with you or not, to some of us this exchange
of views helps a lot in understanding better where we actually stand as
professionals, and where else our ambitions could/should be aimed with a
view to becoming even better experts.

Please correct me if I didn't get it right: professionalism is the key word
in your response below to my previous post. I don't think many on this list
will dispute your view that a professional designer is "essentially" one
who would "accurately and correctly" predict and guarantee the outcomes of
whatever she/he designs as an "advice" to the client and to "society at
large", and would stand "responsible" for eventual risks and ill-effects of
those outcomes.

However the two points of your argument, on which I personally still wish
to learn more about from you, are those of 'accuracy' and 'correctness'.
You have been claiming that without the mathematical accuracy and
correctness of our predictions, these outcomes wouldn't be at all
"professional".

Dear Terry, I and many on this list still need evidence of this claim
above. Not at all in terms of an endless byzantine confrontation or some
sort of intellectual meandering. Just a few cases of proven evidence upon
which we can straightforwardly refer will do, if you have some right on
hand. Or else, make it not an affirmation; instead,  a suggestion to
explore further, perhaps a hypothesis for a PhD undertaking.

I like your example of a graphic poster. Being much closer to the facts,
that will make our understanding of your point much faster and easier. Too
bad though, even with the example, you didn't go any further enlightening
my and other listers' interrogations.

Once more, here referring to your example, in a campaign inciting a
population to reduce obesity, would the technician in graphic illustration
need to know some kind of maths in order her/his technical graphic
advice/outcome - the poster image IS her/his outcome - to contribute to the
2% reduction of obesity? And Gunnar asked: "Why would a graphic designer be
making such warrantees?" And if you succeed in convincing some of us of
such a necessity, the next question will be, again, which maths or which
level of mathematical knowledge does such a technician in graphic design
need to possess?

Or else, shouldn't it rather be the conceiver of the entire obesity
campaign - her/his "design outcome is NOT the images" -  who probably need
another sort of mathematical knowledge to assess the 'accuracy and
correctness' of means (among these the graphic poster) and ends (2%
reduction target) of the campaign? And even here, what kind of maths are
needed in order to assess whether or not the graphic poster proposed by the
technician, on the basis of the requirements handed on to her/him in a
design brief, will contribute or not to fulfill the goal/outcome set in he
campaign?

I, and probably together with others on the list, we are not asking you to
give a full course in Maths. Such a request would be unrealistic. We are
asking you just to give us a few pointers to where to start. In your
exemplar case as well as in reality, would a certain level of knowledge in
statistics, for instance, be enough? Or would there be a need for more
sophisticated maths that I, and many on the list, don't know of? In which
way such mathematical knowledge alone would be the pledge to
professionalism? Which precisely are those maths approaches, domains, and
methods that would 'accurately and correctly' warrant desired levels of
monetary and other kinds of returns to investors (in broad sense) and
insure a certain level of professional liability vis-à-vis the commissioner
and all other stakeholders?

What exactly is implied, as basic Maths for designers/technicians and/or
designers/conceivers, in system dynamics that you recommend? How such a
knowledge helps or would help to "address more complex problems more safely
in ethical and professional terms, and - to offer - a way of creatively
thinking about more aspects of a design than can be managed using visual
reasoning methods."

A few years back, in the mid 70s, to get initiated to Cybernetics we were
given one of those life-marking courses - given in a Design School by a
Civil engineer - on Karl Ludwig von Bertalanffy's General Systems
Theory (GST). Obviously with our very limited base in maths, we didn't get
deep into the mathematical aspects of GST. However, conceptual generalities
imparted to us then were so useful enough to stir our curiosity towards
modelling, in our - limited?? - graphical  and/or verbal ways, real life
complexity in order to understand it better and intervene in it with
assurance and in more reliable and responsible ways. And I am sure some in
my cohort, following such a general exposure, those gifted or better
initiated in maths and took the course, did pursue and learnt a lot in GST
mathematical aspects by themselves or through other means.

So please, Terry, don't keep on being polemical. Rather, let's break the
walls of our respective silos. Put on your pedagogical vest and instruct us
in simple words or with more exemplar cases as above that we can understand
easily. Drawing on the assurance and resources of your academic background,
plus over 30 years research, publications, and practice in this domain,
tell us how the maths language  will help us becoming more trustworthy
professionals. Meaning experts making "reliable - and ethical - prediction
of outcomes, particularly where they are changing over time"...and now more
and more in space as well.

 Many thanks in advance and best regards.

Francois