Universities and Research

Ken Friedman <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 7 Aug 2013 00:51:51 +0000

text/plain

Dear Terry,

If you’d like to take up the topic of universities as a locus of research in October, I’ll be happy to consider it. I’m also happy to reflect on the differences between university research and industry research, and the advantages and benefits of each system – as well as their limits.

In October, I will request greater care in your management of what seem to be quotes. You have been placing your own reading of my thoughts in quote marks as though you are quoting my words. This is inappropriate.

In your latest note, you suggested that I describe universities as [ ‘better’ ] at research – the quotation marks and the word better are yours, not mine. You also write about an assumption that [ ‘universities are obviously best at research’ ]. Again, the words are yours, not mine. I did not write this, and these words should not be placed in quotation marks in a way that suggests that I did.

I’m willing to think these ideas through. Please don’t require me repeatedly to distinguish between my ideas and ideas you misattribute to me when you place your words in quotation marks.

Quotation marks indicate that you are reproducing the words of another person. This is basic to research, to debate, and to journalism. When you respond to comments from an author and place quotation marks around statements, readers assume that you are quoting the author to whom you respond. When you use quotation marks, please do not rewrite or restate my words. When you quote me or seem to, I’d like you to use my words, not your own.

When October rolls around, I’m happy to reflect on this issue. Since I have written about universities, I can share a few ideas in advance.

You write that this conversation “will require dropping and deliberately ignoring reflections, assumptions, perspectives and evidence from the past about universities.” You don’t do this yourself, and I don’t plan to.

Your statements about universities demonstrate your own “reflections, assumptions, perspectives and evidence from the past about universities.”

The relations between universities and the societies and cultures that develop and support them go in cycles. You describe a situation that holds in some places and nations, but not in other places and nations. These kinds of problems you describe also run in cycles.

There is an additional problem here. Your experience of universities is narrow. You’ve worked in universities in Perth, Australia, and in the UK. You worked as a researcher and senior lecturer in several departments, but you had no direct experience of university management, university strategy, or the relations between universities and government. Your views are comprised of “reflections, assumptions, perspectives and evidence from the past about universities” to an even greater degree than mine.

It is vital to recognize and understand the shifting mission and nature of the research university over the past century and a half – and the differences among kinds of research universities in the world today. These differences are also shaped by the differences in national systems.

In my view, at least, Emmanuel Kant (1992 [1798]) still has a great deal to say about the very issues that concern you. John Newman (1996 [1852]) and Clark Kerr (2001 [1963]) still have a great deal to say about what universities ought to be and do, and writers like David Damrosch (1995) have examined how universities sometimes fail to be and do what they might. The university is a human institution that does not always achieve its goals. This does not render the goals inappropriate.

While waiting for the October conversation, anyone who wishes to read my view on universities and the role of design education within the university (Friedman 2003) will find a free digital reprint here:

http://www.academia.edu/311100/Design_Curriculum_Challenges_for_Todays_University

Are there problems with universities today? Absolutely. In my view, though, understanding those problems and doing something about them requires a broad enough view and a deep enough understanding to analyze the problems while seeking a way forward.

If you’d like to consider this in October, please bring the issues up that you’d like to discuss.

Yours,

Ken

Ken Friedman, PhD, DSc (hc), FDRS | University Distinguished Professor | Swinburne University of Technology | Melbourne, Australia | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | Mobile +61 404 830 462 | Home Page http://www.swinburne.edu.au/design/people/Professor-Ken-Friedman-ID22.html<http://www.swinburne.edu.au/design> Academia Page http://swinburne.academia.edu/KenFriedman About Me Page http://about.me/ken_friedman

Guest Professor | College of Design and Innovation | Tongji University | Shanghai, China