PHD-DESIGN March 2013

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Beyond academia

Johann van der Merwe <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 23 Mar 2013 11:38:20 +0200

text/plain

Birger
just a flying past comment (we South Africans, after all, invented real
guerilla fighting techniques: fast in and fast out).
[1] I would opt for a "strength in diversity" approach to the "discipline"
of design;
[2] I agree: basic research skills (really being able to think through the
wicked problems) are a necessity, and we introduced these from is yara
onwards;
[3] You wrote "So it seems we have produced some design PhDs that have and
are about to integrate in industry in a great way."
We have produced some 3rd years that not only integrated with the
industries they were farmed out to in their work-experience programmes, but
design students who began to pick up on the (practical) problems they
observed in the workplace, and were able to make suggestions that the
management (at least) were willing to listen to - thanks to the
(cybernetic) systems thinking we had discussed at length before they went
on this programme. The aim of any design programme that ends with PhDs
should be this awareness of how, why, and because of what, the industry
they find themselves in works, or, does not work (properly).
Johann

Dr. Johann van der Merwe
Independent Design Researcher