Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Software for reviews

Prashanth NS <[log in to unmask]>

Realist and Meta-narrative Evidence Synthesis: Evolving Standards" <[log in to unmask]>, Prashanth NS <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 18 Dec 2012 13:00:53 +0500

text/plain

Dear all,

My first post to the forum. This mail came at the very time I am
grappling with coding a variety of data (interview transcripts,
observation notes, government reports and survey data with attributes)
from a mixed method based realist evaluation of a capacity-building
programme for health managers at district and sub-district levels in
India (the protocol is published -
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3330260/). I am also not
sure if this would be immediately relevant to the other ones being
discussed, but I thought of putting down where I am at this stage as it
certainly helps me, and who knows, may be of help to somebody else!

It is my first time with NVivo, but I have spent some time now
familiarizing myself with NVivo. The way I am dealing with the data is
by going at it at two stages. In the first stage, I am only looking at
the documents (training programme reports, field visit reports) to
construct some sort of a "definitive" programme theory of the
intervention, that takes into account some of the barriers and
facilitators of "change" (an initial programme theory of the
intervention is already available from previous work before analysis in
Nvivo). The coding is guided by a theoretical framework coming from
literature review on capacity-building and organizational change. At
this stage, I am using a mix of open-coding as well as coding based on
the theoretical framework, as well as case nodes (for individuals) and
for teams (node classification as organization). At this stage, I am
hoping to understand and clarify plausible intermediate steps between
the inputs of the intervention and the expected outcomes (and hence the
application of an initial programme theory and the step of refining it
based on 3 episodes of implementation data). I am hoping that drawing
out a definitive programme theory (based on the initial assumptions as
well as watching how those assumptions played out during implementation)
will help me come out with CMO configurations.

In stage 2, I am hoping for a more deductive coding - confirming and
contrasting these CMOs. At this stage, I am hoping to begin with
defining outcomes (say "positive/explicit intention to change after
training and mentoring") and then coding the hypothesized
context-mechanisms for these outcomes (from the previous stage). This is
how I am hoping(!) that I will have contrasting CMOs (settings where
crucial contextual factors for organizational change were lacking and so
were outcomes) that will then help strengthen my analysis. Of this
stage, I am not yet sure, but as my analysis towards building a
definiteve programme theory for the intervention proceeds, I am getting
surer of this. :)

Regards,
Prashanth