PHD-DESIGN  October 2012

PHD-DESIGN October 2012

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Design principles from design research findings?

Ranjan MP <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 17 Oct 2012 10:01:56 +0530

text/plain

Dear Terry

A lot of work that is handled by designers may at some time be done by
machines and software. These would be routine tasks as well as multiple
iterative testing routines that should ideally be left to machine mediated
processes if we have developed software to handle this adequately.

However there would still be tasks that would need human intervention and
creative interpretation that should be the subject of our current schools
of design thought and action.

Gunnar suggests that some of the automated tasks may not be called design
and I too think we would need alternate terminology to explain those kinds
of tasks. Design is a process that uses multiple types of skills, knowledge
and abilities all applied in a complex array of stages and contexts. So it
is not a single task nor is it limited to one iteration since many design
offering go through numerous stages and some in the real world as test beds
for scaling up at a later stage.

Yes, we do need theory to explain many of these and I am sure new
challanges will come up as we go forward.

With warm regards

M P Ranjan
from my Mac at CEPT University
17 October 2012 at 10.10 am IST