GEO-TECTONICS April 2012

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Harvard takes on publishers

"dirk nieuwland, NewTec" <[log in to unmask]>

Tectonics & structural geology discussion list <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 29 Apr 2012 22:35:07 +0200

text/plain

Dear All,
The costly publishing discussion on this forum has been between academic
researchers.
I work as a consultant and do my research and publishing privately. With a
couple of memberships of professional societies I can cover a lot but not
all of my literature needs. The good old "request a copy of your
publication" works well, I get send a pdf and it seems a continuation of
the free reprint culture. What is a serious problem for me is, that I
depend on colour figures that cost me hundreds of Euros for one
publication. I suppose that such a high price covers the cost of
publishing. Asking then 30 Euros per pdf is simply too much, especially so
because this 30 Euros also needs to be paid for really old publications.
Refereeing manuscripts for publication takes a lot of time, because
usually referees take their task seriously, but is done for free. I have
not done any reviews for Elsevier and other for profit journals for many
years now, but also the Society journals ask the 30Euros for a pdf. The
reason that I continue to support society journals is, that their profits
conferences and scholarships. Clearly, when an interested colleague
requests a pdf of a publication, her or she can get it for free directly
from me. I wonder if a personal gift can be illegal?

Regards,
Dirk Nieuwland

Mark Brandon and Aaron Yoshinabu raise a number of quite valid issues