Re: SV: MIT reinvent space syntax !

"Karimi, Kayvan" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 13 Sep 2011 10:12:27 +0000

text/plain

Hi all

I totally agree that we should not ignore any other attempts to develop fundamental analytical tools. The MIT toolbox sounds quite interesting and should not be ignored. I also agree that we need to engage with them and invite them to the Symposium, if possible. However, I think what Sheep, Peter, Vini and Lucas are saying is that no one should try to undermine other (long term and perhaps much more established) efforts in a field by pretending that something has been created from scratch.

As mentioned by others, linking buildings with the spatial network has been one of the major areas of research within the space syntax community, particularly in the past 10-15 years. At Space Syntax Limited, we have been using an integrated spatial model weighted by land use, density, population (and any other factor that you wish to attribute to buildings) for quite some time. The method uses Depthmap as the engine for the analysis, but it is fully integrated with GIS (in our case MapInfo, but it is compatible with ArcGIS or any other GIS platform). We use this type of model in assessing the current conditions, when there is an uneven distribution of buildings and densities, but more importantly, it is used in assessing new urban developments, so not only the changes to the spatial network, but other factors such as land use, density, and so on will be taken into account. What this tool needs is a great-looking interface, which we are going to develop at UCL.

In some cases, such as the impact assessment of Jeddah City Centre development, the analysis has successfully created a very powerful method to define the city centre and how it is impacted by the new developments. The model also seems to become a strong bridge between a spatial model (which links with natural movement, way-finding and perception) and a traffic model (which links with origins and destinations and route capacity). In fact, if done properly, this is a very effective origin-destination analysis, since unlike most transport models it is not based on zone-based origin-destinations, but on the actual journeys from anywhere to anywhere. No need to say that the syntax model can use topological and metric measures (or a combination of both) in the analysis of the network, although we constantly find the former a more efficient measure. I should be able to say more about this at the Symposium.

I also would like to emphasise Lucas' point about the need for an urban theory behind any analytical model. In order to make any use of elaborate urban tools, we really have to see how it links with the way urban space is occupied and used. Space syntax network analysis, is not just 'a' network analysis. It is an analysis that enables us to link abstract network concepts to the real world of people and behaviour, hence enabling us to use it as a design, planning and decision making tool.

Best

Kayvan

Kayvan Karimi
Senior Lecturer, UCL
Director, Space Syntax

-----Original Message-----
From On Behalf Of Tim Stonor
Sent: 13 September 2011 09:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SPACESYNTAX] SV: MIT reinvent space syntax !

Hi, Lars

I agree. It's exactly what I said to Andres back in March.

;-)

The idea of linking buildings into the graph is of course not new as others have already pointed out. However, if there's a new way of doing it then that's worth looking at. I speak as someone who first looked at this in 1990, when I stacked axial lines up to represent the floors of tall buildings in Manhattan.

Building plot analysis/land use weighting (or whatever we choose to call it) is a big subject and deserving of more than one approach - as well as an acknowledgment of its origins and development.