Re: classifying costs

Terence Love <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 8 Aug 2011 08:38:05 +0800

text/plain

Hi Gunnar,

Thanks for your message with some  great analyses that give examples of
useful strategy for predicting the future of design businesses.

On the issue of 'costs', the way I see it is 'transaction cost analysis is a
tool used for forecasting organisational change. This can be useful in some
areas of design. Across the broader scheme of things, however,   different
perspectives each use the idea of 'costs' in different ways for different
purposes and using different models and algorithms. Some examples:

1. For small businesses worried about cash flow, it's useful to view costs
in 'cash' terms, i.e. costs at the time they get paid out of the bank or
pocket.

2. For those wondering about the financial functioning of  a small business,
it's useful to view costs in 'accrual' terms, i.e. on receipt of a bill
whether paid or not.

3.  For those managing a small business, it's useful to look at costs in
terms of what in Australia are  called 'cost of sales',  'running' expenses,
and capital expenses - which I think correlate to your 'fixed' and
'recurrent' costs.

4. For those managing budgets of larger businesses, costs are typically
segregated  into cost silos on a basis of  function (manufacturing, drafting
etc) or department (advertising, sales) - often very similar.

5. For someone assessing the value of a business, 'costs' typically are of
interest as a  part of a ratio of measures, e.g. stock turnover ratio (Cost
of goods sold/average inventory)>

6. For investors, 'earnings yield' (reverse of Price/Earnings ratio) is
relevant as a measure of the 'cost' to a company for raising new capital.

7. The one that transaction cost is primarily relevant to, however, is the
perspective of  entrepreneurs,  futurists and designers wishing to predict
how industries and professions are likely to change. From this perspective,
looking at the pressures acting on transaction costs and the implications of
changes in transaction offers deep insights. This approach is often linked
to Schumpeter's theories about structural industrial change.

The examples you gave of changes in your business provide great    insights
into using transaction cost-like  analysis of the effects of  structural
change in areas of the  commercial design world in which such  changes are
driven more by changes in transaction cost than  other factors. For example,
if a typesetter found a cheaper way to set type, then this would initially
merely  be a competitive factor in which typesetting would over time
competitively reduce in price. Typically, however, typesetting is a cost of
another transaction such as producing a graphic design. If the cost of
achieving that transaction by other means  then structural change occurs in
the industry.

From the perspective of business management, one would typically cost the
'typesetting' as a 'cost of sales' (recurring cost)  when one is managing
this business and  the change to (say) in house software -based typesetting
would be a local decision. In this, the broader structural changes to the
graphic industry as many other businesses did the same are an effect that is
not captured by the local 'cost of sales' analysis. Viewing 'production of a
graphic design' in generic  terms as a 'transaction' and seeing typesetting
in the abstract as a 'cost of doing that transaction' (transaction cost)
then enables one to see and predict more generally  about  structural
changes in the industry due to changes in such transaction costs - including
that the industry might become fully automated and graphic designers would
transition into another industry that required their skills.  An example of
the latter, is the transition of post offices from 'transporters of
documents' (now replaced by email) to transporters of parcels for small
online businesses - both driven by changes in transaction costs resulting
from the Internet

Interesting idea of preferring to work for a fascist rather than a
democratic client because it reduces transaction costs. It's one I hadn't
heard before! It's an example that indicates at least a couple of trends:
there are pressures on graphic designers to avoid clients who do not have a
clear idea of what they are doing, and there are benefits for the client in
doing more preparation before they contact the graphic designer. Both of
these have implications for the trajectory of  uptake of
participative/collaborative design methods in particular situations - there
would have to be some significant benefits to exceed the transaction costs.
Substitute 'research' for 'participative design method' and a similar
transaction cost-based analysis would align with and explain  Don Norman's
recent observation that much design occurs without research in spite of the
potential benefits of doing the research before designing.

 On the 'micro-payments' issue, as I understand it, the approach is stalled
due to multiple transaction cost issues. One is the personal value of the
micro-sliver of an individual's time spent making the micro-transaction,
or, much worse, the cost of  an individuals' time in checking what are
potentially a large number of transactions and the time spent sorting things
out when things go wrong (more transactions = more risk of problems).  This
is a bit like, the increasing time 'cost' of finding a music track on a
large iPod relative to the time spent listening to it.

I welcome your thoughts on how/whether transaction cost analysis might be
usefully taught to designers in Art and Design schools.

Best wishes,
Terry
____________________
Dr. Terence Love, FDRS, AMIMechE, PMACM, MISI

Senior Lecturer, Dept of  Design
Researcher, Social Program Evaluation Research Unit
Edith Cowan University, Perth, Western Australia
Mob: 0434 975 848, Fax +61(0)8 9305 7629, [log in to unmask]

Senior Lecturer, Dept of Design
Curtin University, Perth, Western Australia

Director, Design Out Crime Research Centre

Member of International Scientific Council UNIDCOM/ IADE, Lisbon, Portugal

Honorary Researcher, Institute of Entrepreneurship and Enterprise
Development
Lancaster University, Lancaster, UK