Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: meta-narrative syst rev

Marcello Bertotti <[log in to unmask]>

Realist and Meta-narrative Evidence Synthesis: Evolving Standards" <[log in to unmask]>, Marcello Bertotti <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 22 Jul 2011 13:08:41 +0100

text/plain

dear all
thanks to all your comments on the MNR approach.
Farah, Angela, Lory and I are working on a MNR on the concept of community
across different research traditions. we are now about to examine seminal
papers and start building our draft meta-narrative.

I would like to thanks Trisha for the very useful point about the difference
between research traditions (e.g. Marxism) and research disciplines (e.g.
sociology). Looking at the literature through those lens is much better and
will highlight how different meta-narratives cross research disciplines.

I would also like to take up a point Farah made in earlier comments around
the fact the research traditions and disciplines are actually politically
embedded. we should perhaps take more notice of the fact that there is an
awful lot of 'politics' surrounding the production of research. one potential
problem with this of course is that some research is promoted whilst other
research is put aside. so the point here is that research is not just driven
by empirical or theoretical or sometimes policy innovations, but also by
politics. one can just think about the controversy around 'big society' and
the allegation that Arts and Humanities Research Council pushed research on
this direction only.

going back the practical problems of conducting MNR, i am interested in
comments on middle range theories. It looks to me as if there are different
levels at which one can conduct analysis. one is the level of Kuhn's paradigm
when he talks about Newton and Einstein, so in other words, huge paradigm
shifts. another is the level of our work, which involves more middle range
theories and associated shifts or changes. but what is exactly a middle range
theory? as somebody else in hte list pointed out (Gill?) is not so clear at
the edges. it would be interesting to debate this more fully i think, and
that might actually lead to understand more about the relationship between
middle range and macro theories (e.g. Einstein's relativity). one interesting
question is: what is the relationship between these? do middle range theories
actually lead to macro theories?

the last point i would like to make is about Trisha's idea looking at
Foucault. i have read a little bit about Foucault and there are parallels.
perhaps the notion of discourse from Foucault and paradigm have parallels and
there are a range of archival methodologies based on Foucault's work which
look at the development of discourses over time and at how these have
changed. it might be quite interesting to take this on in the future.

thanks again for all your comments.

Marcello

Marcello Bertotti, BSc, MA, PhD, Research Fellow
Institute for Health and Human Development,University of East London, UH 250,

Water Lane, Stratford, London, E15 4LZ
Tel.020 8223 4139; 07900 593 655; www.uel.ac.uk/ihhd