PHD-DESIGN August 2010

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: The word "research"

"CHUA Soo Meng Jude (PLS)" <[log in to unmask]>

CHUA Soo Meng Jude (PLS)

Sat, 21 Aug 2010 23:22:37 +0800

text/plain

Dear Terence

Thanks for your kind words, and sorry for the late response (happy things have happened at home the past few days and I am now a father.)

In any case, yes you are quite right, my account of "research" would appear at times like the working out of an epistemology--but perhaps we need not be constrained by what "research" means as defined by certain dominant (quantitative/qualitative) paradigms, but what it should mean, determined by a criteria that discerns that kind of inquiry *that matters*, or perhaps, calling to mind here also Ken's remarks regarding what "research" might mean: viz some form of intelligent, inquiry leading to new insight. And yes to me,  sometimes the epistemological study of a certain form of thinking may reveal something of the ontological, not in an ontic (or physical thing-ness)  way but something ontological in the shall intentional sense, often concerning those things that are intransitive or mental, say the certain kind of designerly thinking and its relevance for the construction of or impact on one's identity (e.g, the designer's), etc, which may then be integrated in turn into the designer's "designerly intentions", so to speak.

Thanks for your pointers to neuro-cognition, which is surely worth exploring, and so I will.  I do think, still, that semiotics may have much for detailing some forms of the creative, abductive aspects of designerly creativity; partly because design to my knowledge (ok. I must confess, that I studied design and art long long ago in my pre-university days so I am no expert practitioner!) whilst creative and constructive, is not irresponsible, whimsical, and arbitrary, but rather determined by a kind of *intelligence* which determines or new ideas in a certain way: and it is this that occurs in semiosis, where the interpretant causally specifies the sign-ing to a certain signified (and not just any!), but there is still a fluidity about it. My own account of semiotics follows more closely that of (lesser known Jean Poinsot or John of St Thomas) but no matter.  All this is for me very interesting, if we can detail this constructive creativity that is guided by some kind of a rule or something like a rule. This also signals for me how teaching designerly ways of knowing can not only help someone become a better designer ( if it does) but helping someone become a better theorist, one who can better come up with new ideas and hypothesis, etc: I am thinking of William of Baskerville in Eco's the Name of the Rose, who, whilst learned, abduces all the time!  But in order to do this constructive abduction well, there has to be a good store of knowings or knowledge, present-at-hand, to be called into action to function as interpretants, actualizing the various virtual signs into formal signs. So the good designer or abductive logician (if I may), is actually someone rather learned and experienced, with these ideas in him, waiting to be called to task.  I may be wrong...do feel free to criticise!

Very best!

Jude