EATAW  May 2010

EATAW May 2010

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Do SS learn to plagiarize in our classes?

Rebel Palm <[log in to unmask]>

European Association for the Teaching of Academic Writing - discussions <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 10 May 2010 11:47:16 -0600

text/plain

Paula et al.,
I am continually stunned by having to explain plagiarism
to a graduate student.  We just had a shake up in one of
our depts where 6 grad student got caught plagiarizing.
 Since our writing center is in the college of education,
I have a chance to talk to a lot of teachers, and I'm
exposed to their own practices and values, and what
they're passing on to the next generation of teachers.

Re: our being high on the food chain to have to deal with
this--I agree.  As far as I can figure out, the reality in
US primary and secondary grades is that the teachers teach
to the standardized tests, the scores from which then
become the assessment for the teachers getting re-hired.
 Here it's been especially bad since the No Child Left
Behind Act defined accountability.

Teachers don't emphasize creativity and original thought
in primary and secondary grades--they emphasize being able
to write an essay that will get a good score on a
standardized test in 45 minutes--outline, first draft has
to count, no re-writes.  They teach templates and
boilerplates.  And in English 101 at this university, a
"research" paper means quoting extensively from something
the student found on the internet without any real thought
for critical argument.

By the time they reach graduate school, these students
have had a career of being able to get away with throwing
other people's (some expert's) ideas at a paper, writing
it once (no revisions), with very little effort spent on
original thought.  Some of them come to me perplexed at a
prof's demand for your "own ideas."  They say, "no one's
ever told me I get to have my own ideas."  And this is
grad school!

So I agree--it should start a lot earlier.  But until we
start emphasizing writing about original thoughts and not
just how well you can paraphrase (at least in high school
and undergrad), I think we're going to continue having
students who don't know what plagiarism is.

Rebel
Graduate Student Writing Studio
College of Education
University of New Mexico

On Mon, 10 May 2010 11:13:51 +0300
  Paula Haapanen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hello!
>

> My thanks as well for all of the comments.  They will
>certainly help me
> further explain this phenomenon to my students.
>

> Just to wax nostalgic for a moment, I remember being
>taught not to steal
> other people's ideas back in elementary school (and that
>was  35-30
> years ago).  Now I know we're talking about a variety of
>things here
> (expressing things as they do in one's professional
>community,
> boilerplate phrases, cognitive appropriacy of tasks) and
>I think these
> are all valid things in academic writing at the higher
>education level.
> However,  it boggles the mind as to why are we dealing
>with the basic
> concept of plagiarism at the university level.
>

> Now I know my rant is not going to solve anything (but
>it feels good to
> rant) and the reality is such that we Academic Writing
>teachers (aka
> police) are the last line of defence against this sort
>of thing but, as
> a relatively new teacher of Academic Writing, I just
>feel that we're a
> bit high on the food chain for this.
>

> I realize that different cultures deal with plagiarism
>in different ways
> (I'm Canadian and I teach students from many different
>countries) but I
> would have hoped that academic integrity is globally
>held in somewhat
> higher esteem than it appears to be.  What happened? Why
>aren't teachers
> in earlier levels of education saying anything about
>this? Or are they?
> And if so, what are they saying?  This directly concerns
>point 3 of Mary
> Ellen's summed up points below.  Why isn't "the sense of
>how to clearly
> mark off your own ideas and others' and when... strong
>in many sciences
> now"? (Kerans, 2010) J
>

> ...end of rant.
>

> Happy spring!
>
> --Paula
>

> **************************************
> Paula Haapanen
> Coordinating Lecturer - English
> Language Centre
> Lappeenranta University of Technology
>
> PO Box 20
> 53851 Lappeenranta
>Finland
>
> Phone: + 358 (0)5 621 2213 (direct)

>From: European Association for the Teaching of Academic
>Writing -
> discussions [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
>M. Ellen Kerans
> Sent: 7. toukokuuta 2010 14:06
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Do SS learn to plagiarize in our classes?
>

> Thank you for this because you emphasize some points
>I've tried to bring
> [...]

Bring to the act of writing all of your craft, care,
devotion, lack of humbug, and honesty of sentiment. And
then write without looking over your shoulder for the
literary police. Write as if your life depended on saying
what you felt as clearly as you could, while never losing
sight of the phenomenon to be described.
Norman Mailer, The Spooky Art